Roller timing chain

scskydivin

SCCoA Member
What's the difference between our stock timing chain and a roller or double roller chain? Performance? Durability? Piece of mind? Or it just sounds cool....

My understanding is ours would be called a single roller and the double roller is just that..... a double row of gears and chain.

I really don't think we need a double roller. Now a gear drive set up would be cool!

strength. recommended in some of the more high performance combinations out there, seems to related to aggressiveness of the cam and/or valve train in general.

So, a stock timing chain will work on applications such as the MP II & the MP III. If you want to have an MPx, a Whipple or an Autorotor, with a bigger cam, that's where the roller timing chain applies. Is this correct?

So, a stock timing chain will work on applications such as the MP II & the MP III. If you want to have an MPx, a Whipple or an Autorotor, with a bigger cam, that's where the roller timing chain applies. Is this correct?

I think it's more related to the camshaft ramps, valve spring pressures, and the RPM you want to run at. I wouldn't worry about the blower much.

I don't believe the SC has much to do with the need for more strength in the timing chain, I believe it would be related more to the cam choice. Not so much the cam, but the valve spring. The more agressive the cam generally the higher the spring rates to cotrol the valve (float/bounce ect). Higher spring rates=more force on the timing chain.

That said, I'm not sure how higher boost #s affect forces on the valvetrain. Opening and controling the valves against the higher cylinde pressure?

Anyway, I haven't seen ANY discussion of timing chain failure, or streching affecting timing ect with our motors. I believe DD was researching getting double rollers made for our engine, but I believe costs kept it from happening.

Even if a gear drive was out there I would NEVER run one. Yeah they sound cool, but conversations I have had with some pretty good racers and builders left me feeling that they transfer vibrations from top end to bottom end (and vice-versa) that a chain does not, or helps to dampen. Just MHO on the gear drives. I'm sure they have a use, I just can't see it for 99.99% of our cars.

Adam

I just talked to SSM about this yesterday. Tom Y. said that a stock single chain is fine for almost anything we have done to our v6 motors so far.

I spoke with him about it because the nylon guide broke on my cloyes set and I was asking about the double roller chain seeing if it would be a better option since there is no tensioner to fail. for added strength its a good idea, but it tends to be 'sloppy'. the cam timing is not as stable without a tensioner.

Back