Thread: school me on roller rockers

school me on roller rockers

looking into getting a set of these:

http://www.harlandsharp.com/ford_v6_v8.htm

im looking for the easiest path for install ill assume going with the 1.73 ratio will require the least amount of adjustment. im looking for direct bolt on appliance, im not interested in taking any of the engine apart which is why im not jumping into getting a new cam just yet. anyone install these before? perhaps a writeup you can throw me a link for? thanks guys

school me on roller rockers
    Save your money for something that's actually going to add power.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

I have these in a 1.8 non adjustable but I think the 1.73 is the stock ratio so? not going to really make alot of difference in performance for quite a bit of work? I think you would need to run 1.8s on a stock setup to see any diffrence.
    member #2488
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Save your money for something that's actually going to add power.

David
    roger that, thats the kind of truthful opinion i was looking for, haha. so maybe the 1.8s would be a good addition when i do open up the engine for some internal modification as a means of valvetrain durability, yes? but nothing for a quick bolt on deal

1.8's would give you some more lift. But quite honestly with a car revving under 6,000 rpms I dont see a need for roller rockers at all. Just one more thing to go wrong. Even with a cam. On an SC I have used the stock rockers shimmed with aftermarket or reground cams with great success. And with a cam you dont really need those 1.8's
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

noted, id be looking at roller lifters and some high rate springs too but if youre thinkin i dont need them then im good with the advice

Quote from an engine builder:
    Lower friction/heat the oil less, can handle higher spring loads, may provide more consistent ratios, may or may not be higher ratio than stock, weigh more, don't necessarily add ANY power to the engine, require much less oil and therefore oil supply to the upper valvetrain can be greatly reduced and thus oil control can be improved.
    US Navy Veteran Retired Best Dyno 458HP 556TQ
    "I've done so much with so little for so long that now I can do anything with nothing."

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p..._view&id=28414B

Quote Originally Posted by nmcbchief View Post
    Quote from an engine builder:
    Lower friction/heat the oil less, can handle higher spring loads, may provide more consistent ratios, may or may not be higher ratio than stock, weigh more, don't necessarily add ANY power to the engine, require much less oil and therefore oil supply to the upper valvetrain can be greatly reduced and thus oil control can be improved.
    you got that right about reducing the amount of oil needed for the valve train. We used to cut the oil to head completely for our pure drag race applictions. Each rocker arm had a grease fitting installed and prior to each run we would shoot a shot of grease into each rocker. Of course this wouldn't work at all for a street application but it did help for short quick runs. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon1349 View Post
    roger that, thats the kind of truthful opinion i was looking for, haha. so maybe the 1.8s would be a good addition when i do open up the engine for some internal modification as a means of valvetrain durability, yes? but nothing for a quick bolt on deal
    No..you would be better off installing a mild cam that will work with your stock valves, springs and rockers.

There are three main things that are going to make more power on an SC motor: Better flowing heads, more agressive cam and an upgraded supercharger. Nearly everything else is just done to support those mods.

If you are looking for easy bolt on mods that you can feel by seat of the pants: Install a 5% OD jackshaft pulley, a set of Underdrive pulleys and a less restrictive resonator. If you still have some money left over, some gears would be my next suggestion. Switching to a set of 3.73 gears in an automatic equipped SC will make the car feel about 500 lbs lighter.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lycaon1349 View Post
    noted, id be looking at roller lifters and some high rate springs too but if youre thinkin i dont need them then im good with the advice
    You already have roller lifters. Improving the springs might give you something ... but I wouldn't mess with them until you have a better cam.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Switching to a set of 3.73 gears in an automatic equipped SC will make the car feel about 500 lbs lighter.

David
    mines a 5 spd and i actually just switched to a 3.27 carrier, i love it, so much better than the stock 2.73s

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    You already have roller lifters.
    ooo did not know that, im still relatively new to these cars as far as the internals go, did a headgasket on my first SC but that was as far as i got into it. so this is my learning car, haha