Shootout Food Ideas

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
Well as I sit here eating my lunch I got to thinking since the shootout is really not that far off, what is everyones thoughts on Food this year for Saturday Night.

I personally loved the whole roast Pig idea! I know it was a lot of work and preparation, but I think in the end it was worth it. I think it helped keep cost down, it was great food, more than enough and I felt as folks really enjoyed it. Even though it may have been ready a little later than expected I believe the solution for that has also been taken care of so...........

Of course I am not opposed to Steaks and Shrimp as well, since I missed that particular Shootout! LOL

Another idea I was thinking about is some informal cookout going on in the parking lot (or close proximity) on Friday Night would be a great idea too, basically cook what you bring, be it hotdogs, burgers, whatever. We all have to eat anyway sometime Friday, so maybe this is an idea we can talk over as well.

Lets here your thoughts on this subject and who would be willing to help if it comes down to doing our own prep and cooking.

My wife and I are in for helping, so theres 2!

Smitty

Thoughts from Previous years

I was looking over threads from other years of the shootout,and like Dave D said indoor seating seems to be a priority. Although last years tent was just as good to me!. We got to have the closeness of a banquet hall and really good food, but obviously at a cost to the Oatways, and other who beared the burden of prep, cooking and cleanup.

I also enjoyed the banquets we have had in the past and I am not opposed to the extra cost that this type of meal will incur, it is inevitable it will cost more, there is no way around it, and usually, but not always, the food is not as good as we can make ourselves.

I also agreed with Ira's statement about this being our 1 main event each year and folks really need to commit to coming, start saving their money right after each shootout to be prepared for next years. Inflation is no joke and it will take some discipline, and commitment to get ready for next years shootout, then it wouldn't be so painful. I have wondered how the shootout committee has kept the cost about the same each year for about the last 4-5years if I remember right.

My wife and I do not mind helping at all with whatever gets decided, with that being said however, it would be nice to be able to enjoy the entire car show and mingle with more folks during the day, than helping prepare a big meal for the event. I am sure the Oatways feel the same, they don't mind doing it, but it does make the event more tiring and stressful on them and other that have committed to doing the majority of the work.

Banquet would be nice and I really enjoyed them too, but the cost could be the deciding factor. For that matter locations and venue may very well decide if we can even do a full pig roast or similar type food depending on where we want to have it at.

There are a lot of factors needing to be considered, but I think if we want to make the majority of folks happy I don't see how we can continue this event without increasing the cost a little.

Anyway, thoughts comments welcome.

Smitty

Of course I am not opposed to Steaks and Shrimp as well, since I missed that particular Shootout! LOL

That meal had a far-reaching impact on my wife. She still talks about it.

IT WAS GOOOOOOOD! :D

Personally, hamburgers / hot dogs is good enough for me.

Smitty...good to hear from you. You and Dawn are always at huge help to us at the shootout.

The pig roast last year was a HUGE undertaking but I also think it produced the best banquet we've had in a long time. The thing about the pig is it's difficult to set an exact time for when it is done....as we saw last year.

The reason I began volunteering to cook for the Saturday banquet 3 or 4 years ago was the cost of catering and a hall when combined with increased track and insurance costs was getting out of hand. I felt that I could produce a meal with help from other volunteers that was far better quality and far less cost. The downside is an exhausting weekend for Jen & I and the others who help.

I enjoy the cooking and am willing to continue doing it if that is what people want, of course a nice relaxing Saturday in the lawn chair checking out cool cars sounds pretty good too.

I guess the bottom line is I'm willing to do whatever is needed or wanted.

That meal had a far-reaching impact on my wife. She still talks about it.

IT WAS GOOOOOOOD! :D

Personally, hamburgers / hot dogs is good enough for me.

It's funny because the steak & shrimp boil out of all the shootout banquets I've done that one was by far the easiest and least time consuming to do and believe it or not it didn't really cost much more than the year we did the burgers with all the fancy fixings.

Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Smitty...good to hear from you.

I guess the bottom line is I'm willing to do whatever is needed or wanted.

You too Brian, hope family is all good. Like you said, I am willing to do whatever is wanted/needed by the majority.

David N. said this in another thread a while back, and I feel the same way:

I'm a firm believer in keeping the registration cost down, even if it means ditching the nice banquet dinner. This is the same reason we stopped making cash payouts for winners of the various classes.

While there are many people who wouldn't mind paying more, we need to keep cost reasonable for many others, especially some of the younger people who are still students or just now getting involved with club.

David

Anyway looking forward to another great shootout this year.

Smitty

I like burgers but am willing to pay more in registration fees if its needed. Its once a year and I always make sure to have enough funds.

A brotha can hit a Mickey D's up if he wants a damn burger. That steak and skrimp dinner was the best.

What about making some shrimp shish katurbos?!

I guess part of the discussion centers on whether we are having a sit down banquet or just having a casual meal in the parking lot.

Last year this time we had a huge discussion about this and the overwhelming majority wanted a sit down banquet which spun into the tent & table rental and the pig roast.

I would think simple burgers/dogs/chips at lunch time and a real banquet at night on Saturday would be consistant with the way most people have wanted things the last couple of years. Whether we cater the banquet ourselves or hire it out is a significant question though.

Good Compromise

Last year this time we had a huge discussion about this and the overwhelming majority wanted a sit down banquet which spun into the tent & table rental and the pig roast.

Whether we cater the banquet ourselves or hire it out is a significant question though.

Brian,
I think last years shootout was a great compromise of banquet and self-prepared food. We had the sit down portion everyone seemed to prefer and we also had some great food too. Yes, your question is the biggest one of all right now about whether to have it catered or DIY.

If it is Catered, then where to have it? Host Hotel?? Elsewhere? Astronomical Cost, Food Quality??

It if is DIY, can we do the same type of thing near the hotel? Whether it be Steaks & Shrimp, Pig Roast, Ribs & Chicken BBQ doesn't really matter?? in close proximity to hotel?

I think these question need to answered as well to find out if there are going to be limitation on what we will even be able to do.

Smitty

Ideas?

if you look on Googlemaps for the area around the hotel, there is a nice grass area, located between Early Drive and Interstate Drive that looks large enough for the Car Show and Tent with chairs like last year.

Who does this belong to? Hotel, has anyone checked it out?

To be quite honest the Parking lot looks very small to have the car show in, but if we could use the grass that would be great I think. Grass is also a lot cooler than hot asphalt, even with easy-up tents everywhere.

Just some more items to think about.

Smitty

I'm pretty certain that the Arnolds and Dave have worked out space in the areas surrounding the hotel so that we will have plenty of room directly adjacent to the hotel for trailer parking, car show, maybe even a portable dyno.

I also believe the hotel features a large banquet room although I've not heard if it is available for free or if and what a room fee would be if we rented it. Dave or the Arnolds would need to chime in. I also believe that somebody may have been looking at caterers associated with renting and using the banquet room but I have no first hand knowledge of any of those plans or potential prices.

From what Sal has told me, the banquet hall was free for us to use do to the amount of rooms we have rented out. This would be for both Friday night and also Saturday.

Woohooo! Free banquet hall and steak! :D

I'm for whatever is easiest for the chef's crew. I know what it's like to have a party and spent 60% of the time cooking for everyone...even though grilling is enjoyable, you miss out on alot of the fun. :(

I'm willing to pay more money on registration for a decent meal aside from hotdogs and burgers. The kabobs idea is great.

I'm willing to pay more money on registration for a decent meal aside from hotdogs and burgers. The kabobs idea is great.

I'm willing to pay more money for a decent meal as well, especially if I get to sit with Brian and Jen and instead of eating on the hog (so to speak :p) watch them relax over dinner as well.

There must be someone in town who can throw a bar-b-que for 100 at a reasonable fare. I know what something like that costs where I am and that's for steaks and top choice viddles. I cannot imagine we couldn't put something together that would be reasonable and I would definitely pony up an extra few bucks for something like that.

But we have this discussion every year so I will of course follow the crowd and eat what there is, after joining the poor kitchen crew to help serve it of course :D

Ira

Well Then

It looks like the location has been established, for free which is a great thing. So I guess the only other issue or discussion is exactly what are we going to have for food?

Do we cater in a full on BBQ, Ribs, Chicken, Pulled Pork any other ideas???

Figure out a way to cook our own Steak & Shrimp or Porky Pig or Ribs & Chicken, or whatever?? Then serve in hotel Banquet Hall?

Does a Poll thread need to be started to figure what the majority of the folks prefer? Since location seems to be free, will this either mean better food choices, better registration fees (Not that they have ever been bad at all)any other prizes??

Does anybody really care??

Just wondering.

Smitty

Back