How do I bypass Neutral Safety Switch 5sp?

Zpwslayer

The plastic clip broke last night on my neutral safety switch so now i have to manually put the switch back on the rod under my dash to start the car. The rod is connected to the clutch pedal. Just wondering if there was a way to bypass this, and if this would cause any problems?

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the switch is a normally open, so when you press the clutch in it closes the circuit. Unplugging the harness from the switch and installing a jumper should bypass the switch.

They started putting these things in so that you couldn't start the car w/o the clutch disengaged and it's something I never really believed in, especially if the car dies on a RR track w/ a train coming (I know, million in one chance) but you'd have to bail and leave the car, where as w/ a car w/o the switch, you can put it in gear and use the starter to get off the track...

It was probably easier than trying to rig the actual shifter to find neutral. I would suggest you not bypass it, but rather just get a part from someone here to repair it.

I SUPPOSE.. IF you stalled on a railroad track and the car wouldn't start (like in some bad movie) you could nurse the car forward using the starter. But in reality... you should jump in front of the train for being so stupid as to let your car stall on the railroad track to begin with. ;) Sort of like those people who's cars break down in the MIDDLE OF THE FREAKIN HIGHWAY! How in the heck can someone be such a moron that they can't get their car (which was moving) off the road when they noticed that the engine is failing? :confused:

Were talking the middle lane here folks.. 3 lanes and some Goober head is stopped dead in the middle lane.. But alas, I degress.. :D

Last edited:
Yes you can bypass it. Finding that white plastic piece is going to be tuff. I agree that you should try and fix it but if you can't here’s a picture to aid in bypassing.

P2280001.jpg

Not sure how the SC does the Neutral Safety but on a Sentra I worked on years ago I used a bolt to press the switch, so it acted as normal.

On mine I just ziptied the pushrod in the switch when it came loose. This would allow starting in gear, so be careful with that. It did also disable the cruise control which was the only down side that encouraged me to repair the switch.

Back