Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Took the 5 speed to the road course

Took the 5 speed to the road course

Was in MI this past week for Marauderville and they rented Gingerman Raceway Gingerman Raceway

Was my first time on a road course, somewhat balls to the wall. Car did great, no problems out of her. I was only 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on the straights. Was worried about popping head gaskets as I've been under the car and seen them seeping. Brakes were hating it, another reason for no full throttle into the turns.

I had a blast and can't wait to do it again! Don't know why youtube has it looped. So a little after 10 minutes is the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKntX...1&feature=plcp

~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Awesome! I would love to try that sometime! Auto tossing is fun, but I'm thinking a road course would be much much more fun!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

That's cool man! Nice video! I wanna take my bird around the road course one day. What kind of wheels and tires were you using?

Stock wheels with 225 60 16 bridgestone g019 grid's. I was happy with them. The car is bone stock besides the b&m shifter and flowmaster exhaust with cats.

There was a camera crew there. I had them put a go pro on the outside. So waiting on the dvd from them with pics and video.
    Last edited by BLOWN38; 09-18-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

I wish it was that easy here in CA

Looks like you had fun!

Next you should use the automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ira R. View Post
    Looks like you had fun!

Next you should use the automatic
    No no... next I will put the AR on the 5 speed with a motor and tune I am confident with. And maybe the 17" wheels I got laying around too. And most definatly need some cobra brakes.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWN38 View Post
    No no... next I will put the AR on the 5 speed with a motor and tune I am confident with. And maybe the 17" wheels I got laying around too. And most definatly need some cobra brakes.

Good cause looked like you were standing still. When cars were passing you.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

The mustang that passed me creeped up on me during the warm up lap. So on the first lap I had to run away from him just to see if the car could, and it did. But the brakes didn't like it, I'm sure the 170k mile brake fluid didn't help. So I slowed down and just took the turns at speed. Once he passed me you can see I was hanging with him. But on the straights I let them all go, not to metion they all had at least 70 hp on me.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

I've been taking my 95 SHO out on road race tracks for about the last 4-5 years, over that time I've significantly upgraded brakes, suspension, swaybars, bushings, etc...

I've now got it where I can drive it all out and not break anything or fall off the track. It is without a doubt the most fun you can have with a well comported car. It also has a full interior and is not so radical it isn't comfortable driving around town or down the highway.

My goal will be to do the same thing to a 91 SC roller, reman'd Dave Dalke Engine, 95 transmission, pristine interior, etc...
    3 SC's over a pair of SHO's ...

Plat O Ribs Full House of SVT!
    SCCoA Member#: 3251

3rd gear most of the way? Stock rear? Street tires too right? From the look of the tach you really weren't pushing it but boy did it look like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ira R. View Post
    3rd gear most of the way? Stock rear? Street tires too right? From the look of the tach you really weren't pushing it but boy did it look like fun.
    Yup, yup and yup. Yeah I shifted to 4th at 4k rpm on the two long straights. Definatly was not pushing the accelerator hard. Temp gauge stayed at the N, but it was only 60 something degrees. I think I hit 90 mph and 12lbs of boost. Check engine light was coming on that day, go figure. Think its got a vacuum leak.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by Plat0ribs View Post
    I've been taking my 95 SHO out on road race tracks for about the last 4-5 years, over that time I've significantly upgraded brakes, suspension, swaybars, bushings, etc...

I've now got it where I can drive it all out and not break anything or fall off the track. It is without a doubt the most fun you can have with a well comported car. It also has a full interior and is not so radical it isn't comfortable driving around town or down the highway.

My goal will be to do the same thing to a 91 SC roller, reman'd Dave Dalke Engine, 95 transmission, pristine interior, etc...
    5 speed????
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    SCARlet on drag duty now

SO COOL. gran turismo got me into track racing i wish watkins glen would let people race as easily as gingerman did,i cant imagine how fun that must have been

Quote Originally Posted by Plat0ribs View Post

Liking the Cobra R clone in the background.

Also enjoying the SHO.

Before I bought my mom her T-bird in '99, we test-drove a 1995 SHO 5-speed at a different dealership.

I had the salesman clawing the dash with the 1-2-3 full-throttle run, with Mom laughing at the guy while she was sitting in the back seat.

I liked the SHO, but the car didn't 'feel' right. I got the T-bird instead, and then was rewarded with my efforts by suffering through a year and a half of electrical problems caused by the dying ECM with the 5.0 car.

Fun times.