Took the 5 speed to the road course

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
Was in MI this past week for Marauderville and they rented Gingerman Raceway Gingerman Raceway

Was my first time on a road course, somewhat balls to the wall. Car did great, no problems out of her. I was only 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on the straights. Was worried about popping head gaskets as I've been under the car and seen them seeping. Brakes were hating it, another reason for no full throttle into the turns.

I had a blast and can't wait to do it again!:cool: Don't know why youtube has it looped. So a little after 10 minutes is the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKntXc8Dmco&list=UUEb27qP_zSCU7lNoi4YQkSQ&index=1&feature=plcp

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uKntXc8Dmco?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome! I would love to try that sometime! Auto tossing is fun, but I'm thinking a road course would be much much more fun!

Stock wheels with 225 60 16 bridgestone g019 grid's. I was happy with them. The car is bone stock besides the b&m shifter and flowmaster exhaust with cats.

There was a camera crew there. I had them put a go pro on the outside. So waiting on the dvd from them with pics and video.

Last edited:
Looks like you had fun!

Next you should use the automatic :p ;)

No no... next I will put the AR on the 5 speed with a motor and tune I am confident with.:D And maybe the 17" wheels I got laying around too. And most definatly need some cobra brakes.

No no... next I will put the AR on the 5 speed with a motor and tune I am confident with.:D And maybe the 17" wheels I got laying around too. And most definatly need some cobra brakes.

Good cause looked like you were standing still. When cars were passing you. :p

The mustang that passed me creeped up on me during the warm up lap. So on the first lap I had to run away from him just to see if the car could, and it did. But the brakes didn't like it, I'm sure the 170k mile brake fluid didn't help:D. So I slowed down and just took the turns at speed. Once he passed me you can see I was hanging with him. But on the straights I let them all go, not to metion they all had at least 70 hp on me.:)

I've been taking my 95 SHO out on road race tracks for about the last 4-5 years, over that time I've significantly upgraded brakes, suspension, swaybars, bushings, etc...

I've now got it where I can drive it all out and not break anything or fall off the track. It is without a doubt the most fun you can have with a well comported car. It also has a full interior and is not so radical it isn't comfortable driving around town or down the highway.
Carstuff002.jpg

Carstuff001.jpg

My goal will be to do the same thing to a 91 SC roller, reman'd Dave Dalke Engine, 95 transmission, pristine interior, etc...

3rd gear most of the way? Stock rear? Street tires too right? From the look of the tach you really weren't pushing it but boy did it look like fun.

3rd gear most of the way? Stock rear? Street tires too right? From the look of the tach you really weren't pushing it but boy did it look like fun.

Yup, yup and yup. Yeah I shifted to 4th at 4k rpm on the two long straights. Definatly was not pushing the accelerator hard. Temp gauge stayed at the N, but it was only 60 something degrees. I think I hit 90 mph and 12lbs of boost. Check engine light was coming on that day, go figure.:rolleyes: Think its got a vacuum leak.

I've been taking my 95 SHO out on road race tracks for about the last 4-5 years, over that time I've significantly upgraded brakes, suspension, swaybars, bushings, etc...

I've now got it where I can drive it all out and not break anything or fall off the track. It is without a doubt the most fun you can have with a well comported car. It also has a full interior and is not so radical it isn't comfortable driving around town or down the highway.
Carstuff002.jpg

Carstuff001.jpg

My goal will be to do the same thing to a 91 SC roller, reman'd Dave Dalke Engine, 95 transmission, pristine interior, etc...

5 speed????

SO COOL. gran turismo got me into track racing:p i wish watkins glen would let people race as easily as gingerman did,i cant imagine how fun that must have been

Liking the Cobra R clone in the background.

Also enjoying the SHO.

Before I bought my mom her T-bird in '99, we test-drove a 1995 SHO 5-speed at a different dealership.

I had the salesman clawing the dash with the 1-2-3 full-throttle run, with Mom laughing at the guy while she was sitting in the back seat.

I liked the SHO, but the car didn't 'feel' right. I got the T-bird instead, and then was rewarded with my efforts by suffering through a year and a half of electrical problems caused by the dying ECM with the 5.0 car.

Fun times.

This is what I've been telling you guys for years ... road course action is way more fun that drag racing, especially if you don't have 500+ hp.

cheers
Ed

I remember my weekend at Road Atlanta. I completely used up a set of EBC Yellow race pads running 100 laps. I was told to make sure my brakes were up to it and it was a good thing they were. If you can get an instructor to ride with you and give you input, it really helps. I hoping to run Road Atlanta again.

I will definatly stick to short courses for now.

I'll have to try summit point some time next year.

Back