Took the 5 speed to the road course

Nice pic's! She looks flat in the corners. These cars handle well for their weight. They never cease to amaze me!:D

Nice pic's! She looks flat in the corners. These cars handle well for their weight. They never cease to amaze me!:D

Flat in the corner, that's what I was thinking too.

Yeah I took took the caps out cause they my good ones and I didn't want the wheels to flex and have them pop off.;)

This car has no power... yet.:D Its the step child. And actually when it started raining I was gonna start drifting it, but didn't know if they would be unhappy with me.

Gingerman is 25 minutes from where I grew up. I've been there with the Chicago Ferrari club before.

Seeing as how its so close to where my SC's are stored, I'd like to get out there with my 92 5-speed sometime this summer. I will be sure to bring an extra set of brake pads and rotors.

Track

Another Thunderbird doing track time?.SWEEET! I thought I was the only one driving HPDE's with my Super Coupe five speed. My 94' sees track time this year.

Attachments

• ab4.jpg
    ab4.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 229
I now have 2 tracks to choose from here with Chin Motorsports. They also run at the new Atlanta Motorsports Park near Dawsonville in North GA. I'm not sure if I'll run again this year but if not, next year for sure. They have both one day and two day events and it costs about $800-$900 including gasoline and instructor for a two day event.

Thats the downside, its expensive. Gingerman has "test and tune" night where you can run on the track and its really cheap especially when compared to driving school events where you pay for instruction and track time.

it is indeed a 5 speed, I really wouldn't want to take an SHO with autotragic out on a road race course, unless I intended changing it over to MTX after it blew.

"Green" has 11.6 brakes around, Quaife ATB (auto torque biasing) differential, new suspension, bushings, braces, Gen 3 front subframe, Gen 3 ZF Rack, and a few other suspension improvements.

It's currently got 90K miles and serving DD duty this winter due to my 89 blowing HG last week.

I'm building an SC for the same purpose, highway cruiser capable of road racing without falling off the track or breaking.

Very much want to try Gingerman and Road America in Sheboygan... :)

The 95 SHO were much more squishy than the Gen1's but with a little bit of this... one can bring them around.

Gingerman

I drove at Gingerman during Memorial Day weekend and the end of season Halloween event in the 94' SC. I have given thoughts of stripping out my 92' SC a find a cheap trailer and tow it there to Road Course at Midwest area tracks. I want to drive a HPDE at Blackhawk Farms......I am thinking of returning to Autobahn in 14' as well.

I used to run at Pocono's road track all the time. Best time you can have! Definitely have an instructor run with you, if available, like Mike said. Invaluable for the first few times out to understand what you're doing right and wrong.

ALWAYS remove center caps! Good man.

I stopped because it was just getting too expensive and I can't see blowing this car up (And I didn't have a way to get it home 100 miles away if something did happen.) I was going through tires and brakes like crazy. Plus (Unlike you), I was trying to push the throttle through the firewall. I would see 120 MPH at the end of the back bowl before it was time to turn in. I'm sure my clutch also hates me, so. . . And I ran hot, so that was another concern.

IF you need a good brake options, check out www.porterfield-brakes.com. They were outstanding, but you definitely don't want these on the car if you're driving it on the road normally. First few times you try to stop, you won't.

Also check out www.ate-na.com for brake fluid. I boiled my fluid a few times until I switched to this.

No helmets required?!?!?!

Pocono%20Sign.jpg

Yeh, unfortunately, all I have a print of that photo. I scanned it, so it's not very good quality.

And no, that car was a daily driver for about three years, of which it saw a few trips to Pocono before I realized if I blew it up, it would be hard to get to work Monday morning! So then I got a SHO, keep beating on the SC until I threw in the (money) towel.

Someday I'll get back into it, but probably with a better car. Don't get me wrong, the SC was great and I really enjoyed it, but that is simply not a great track car! Too heavy!

Road Course

I don't understand why more people don't Road Course their SC's......................BOTH my SC's have seen Track time.

Attachments

• ams2.jpg
    ams2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 94BHF.jpg
    94BHF.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 199
gotta pay to play...the drag strip around here is pretty cheap..
id love to do a road course..
that black bird above looks saweeeet.

Back