Coated Rotor Packs from MP

Magnum Powers

Hi All:

We are now offering coated supercharger rotor packs. The coating is abradive which means it can be applied thick and if the coating should touch another part it will wear off without causing damage forming a very tight seal, much like piston rings breaking in. The coated rotor packs we offer features a new bearing plate that incorporates trapped air vent ports for increased efficiency.

Initial testing shows about 10% increase airflow over bare rotors. That is to say a MPx90 with coated rotors at 10% overdrive will flow the same amount of air as a MPx90 with bare rotors at 20% overdrive. The change in performance is amazing.

Below is a chart showing the MAF voltage with various combinations

Attachments

• MPXS dyno MAFV.jpg
    MPXS dyno MAFV.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 272
Looks good!! Any idea on cost and can they handle 25% overdrive?

There is no indication they would not work just fine at 25% but you would need all the good stuff to go along with it, big free flowing exhaust, big intercooler and the like.

Below is a picture of the rotor pack disassembled with the coated rotors and MP bearing plate. Note trapped air vent ports on the backside (right hand), they are big like the Gen 5 and TVS blowers. It was a challenge building them into a Gen 1 type supercharger, but now you have all the latest features. These vents reduce the power required to turn the supercharger because the trapped air is not squeezed to who knows what pressure turning energy into heat.

Attachments

• MP Rotor Pack 1.jpg
    MP Rotor Pack 1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 391
I have all the supporting mods currently just need to save up a lil more and I will be giving you a call in the next month or two. Thanks!

I have all the supporting mods currently just need to save up a lil more and I will be giving you a call in the next month or two. Thanks!

Great!!
I have a feeling this is going to be one of the best mods yet for the Supercoupe. The results caught me by surprise, better then what I expected. But when you start thinking about it it becomes quite clear.

There is roughly .007" clearance between rotor tip and case and .017" total front and back clearance added together. So, you can calculate the gap area for a M90 by .007"x3 (both sides plus the middle) x 6" plus .017 x 6" = .228 square inches. That is equal to a square hole .480" by .480"! Crazy how long we have been putting up with that.

Charles

Very very cool charles! Just when you think nothing else will come around. This is probably one of the best new products in forever. And pricing is awsome!

Very very cool charles! Just when you think nothing else will come around. This is probably one of the best new products in forever. And pricing is awsome!

Thanks!!

I have an initial production build of 10 rotor packs coming along, should be ready to ship in about a week. :)

Charles

His web site says $550.

Look forward to see how these perform.

I have a similar setup in my MPX if we can get it running we will see what they do with around 35% OD. Mine are Gen V eaton abradive coated rotors that are supposed to be more efficiant. Thanks to Charles at Magnum powers for making these available I wish they would have been around sooner so I didnt have to have mine custom built for the mpx!lol:cool:

Do you have anything to ship overnight Id like to put these to the test with the nifty duper ubber set up.

Very cool Charles! We are lucky to have you supplying our community with such innovation. :)

Although it won't be anytime too soon I'm looking to get an MPX along with many other of your parts for my engine build. Have to finish a few more things on the Mark VIII first (you hear that Damon!? :D)

No darn, putting the last set I have in a blower for another guy, going out tomorrow. You can place an order so you will be in line at least.

Thats ok, I wanted to see if it would make it for the shootout. After that car will be parked till next season. I got the blower just sitting on top of the engine I could have swapped the rotors before the event. Maybe that guy would be willing to wait?

Looking good though. Cool stuff always comes out right after the shootout, 85MM TB sounds familiar.

Last edited:
Thats ok, I wanted to see if it would make it for the shootout. After that car will be parked till next season. I got the blower just sitting on top of the engine I could have swapped the rotors before the event. Maybe that guy would be willing to wait?

Looking good though. Cool stuff always comes out right after the shootout, 85MM TB sounds familiar.

That guy has been waiting quite a while and is wanting it asap. Yeah, it seems like it always takes longer then I think to get something done.

I have a similar setup in my MPX if we can get it running we will see what they do with around 35% OD. Mine are Gen V eaton abradive coated rotors that are supposed to be more efficiant. Thanks to Charles at Magnum powers for making these available I wish they would have been around sooner so I didnt have to have mine custom built for the mpx!lol:cool:

Part of what makes the Gen 5 more efficient is the trapped air vent ports that are missing in the Gen 1 and small in the Gen 2. But I would make you a sweet deal to swap out your coated rotors into our bearing plate that has really big ones. :)

Nice job, Charles! I have been waiting a long time (wishing and hoping) for this to happen. I will buy a set when I get the funds together on my end.

I am wondering - Are these bearings captured by a rolled lip like the OEM ones? I am sure it will be a long time before any of these packs need to be rebuilt, but I am wondering if the rebuild process will be any easier.

On the other hand, I see that the supporting ribs are much meatier on your new rotor plates. So maybe the bearing retention situation can be handled in a similar way to what ESM does now ... only with less effort because there is more metal to which you can bolt a retainer.

Sounds like an awesome product. Seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle!:D

Makes me reconsider my plans for my SC! I think there might be a polished MPX coming around tax time!:eek:

Nice job, Charles! I have been waiting a long time (wishing and hoping) for this to happen. I will buy a set when I get the funds together on my end.

I am wondering - Are these bearings captured by a rolled lip like the OEM ones? I am sure it will be a long time before any of these packs need to be rebuilt, but I am wondering if the rebuild process will be any easier.

On the other hand, I see that the supporting ribs are much meatier on your new rotor plates. So maybe the bearing retention situation can be handled in a similar way to what ESM does now ... only with less effort because there is more metal to which you can bolt a retainer.

Thanks! Yes I made them with the idea of being re-buildable. The supporting structure is really beefy so the bearings can and are held in place with 4 screws that are not shown in the picture. So when it comes to rebuild time the screws are already there so no drilling and fussing around.

Back