Bent valves? I dont know

To help cope with this anger - find a bat and throw cube cheese at it. ;)

Sorry to hear everything is being a problem with this build.

-Tim

Its already been proven that bats cant handle my cheese and that I cant get my car to run?:eek:

(again no bats where actually harmed at the 2012 super coupe xr7 shootout)

Dave that sucks. I feel for you man. Can you post a pic once you get the timing cover off. Btw you can use a breaker bar and socket on the crank bolt and use the starter to break that bolt loose. You just need to set up the breaker bar up properly to loosen the bolt when the starter motor engages. It's an old trick but works well.

Last edited:
Dave,

When you get the timing cover off, post a few pictures of what you find. I'm betting that you will find your problem on the back side of the thrust plate for the camshaft.

David

Napa timing gear set

Dave,

When you get the timing cover off, post a few pictures of what you find. I'm betting that you will find your problem on the back side of the thrust plate for the camshaft.

David
NOPE!
napatiminggear.jpg

No clue how you managed to do that?!?!?!?

It started and ran then bam it bent some valves when it did this as well. The cam, rods, rockers are ok I won't know on the heads for a few days because the headers are such a chore to get off. I'd say the #1 exhaust valve that is bent the worst may have put a hole in the piston but the motor turns free so I don't know. At any rate this engine is coming out.

I am betting you started it up, the lifters pumped up, when that happened you had valve to piston clearance issues once the lifters pumped up and bam! Something had to give and the cam gear was the weakest link. Someone on here recently lost a timing set on the dyno and bent up some valves when the motor over rev'd.

Someone on here recently lost a timing set on the dyno and bent up some valves when the motor over rev'd.

That would be me early this year, but my motor was severely over rev'd the year before and broke the crank gear, chain tensioner, but not the chain. The face of that cam gear where the cam sensor gear goes looks awefully shiny from something rubbing on it. I still really think you might have installed the timing set incorrectly, combined with a few other things caused the cam gear to fail.

Dave

I've got to admit....

Your handling of the written word during this journey is a lot better than I would.

KoDo's and good luck.

I feel for you.

Paul

Well there's something you don't see everyday. Betting the cam seized up because there wasn't enough clearance on the thrust plate.

David

Well there's something you don't see everyday. Betting the cam seized up because there wasn't enough clearance on the thrust plate.

David
Definitely check the thrust plate. When we put my cam in, we discovered that there was a sharp protruding edge on the thrust surface of the cam that was left from the machining process from Comp. Luckily we discovered the problem before everything was buttoned up. I filed the edge off and that did the trick.

It seems like you have a SC curse Dave, I feel for you man. Eventually you'll get it straight, drive it and love the heck out of it.

Usually you see the teeth shear off. I remember reading a similar issue but it was with a na mustang that was running the comp max street/strip cam. It was on modded mustangs and the guys name was codeman if you wanted to research it.

It sounded mean for the short time that it ran I was just trying to idle it up a bit and it did this. I am headed to indy friday to pick up a used 94 block from casey

That actually isn't ground into the cam, it's a removable spacer. That spacer is what creates the clearance between the thrust plate and the cam sprocket's spacer. It's mandatory to have it or else the cam sprocket will get clamped to the thrust plate. If this is the case, then the fault isn't the cam sprocket. They're all cast iron and will have similar yields. The only way to get rid of that is to go to a billet, double roller timing set, but you would have had a worse problem if the cam sprocket didn't break.

Cam accessories do not come cams unless they're ordered. You can get the spacer from a dealership or take it off of a stock cam.

Last edited:
Back