Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Aftermarket supercharger

Quote Originally Posted by Firm-ryd337 View Post
    On that KB subject. I know you have to do certain mods to make a AR or a whipple to fit the thunderbird, but the same mods would have to be done to the kb to to make it fit just like all the other aftermarket supercharger on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong? The way I look at it I want to switch to a liquid cooled kb setup. Lower temps with max of 18-20psi. And either way I go I'm gonna have to invest in supporting mods. So the big question is the KB worth the extra price, especially if I switched to a liquid cooled set up?
    It all sounds real simple, like all blower packages are the same dimensions. If a KB with the same capacity as a Whipple is shorter then the Whipple then it will be wider and taller. The Whipple will just fit between the fuel rails. A wider KB might interfer with the injectors. Every blower has its problems to mount up. If it was easy everyone in the club would be doing it. Anyway like Brian said it doesn't matter cuz they aren't really available and if you find a used one you have to have the fabrication skills to make it fit

Ken
    Last edited by kenewagner; 12-04-2012 at 11:07 AM.

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, air intercooled..yet to see

Quote Originally Posted by kenewagner View Post
    it doesn't matter cuz they aren't really available and if you find a used one you have to have the fabrication skills to make it fit

Ken
    Hey Ken, I have some fabbing that needs to be done.............
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

It all sounds real simple, like all blower packages are the same dimensions. If a KB with the same capacity as a Whipple is shorter then the Whipple then it will be wider and taller. The Whipple will just fit between the fuel rails. A wider KB might interfer with the injectors. Every blower has its problems to mount up. If it was easy everyone in the club would be doing it. Anyway like Brian said it doesn't matter cuz they aren't really available and if you find a used one you have to have the fabrication skills to make it fit

Ken
    Remarkably the KB 2.4 is over 2" shorter than the whipple 2.3 but its only 1/4" wider and is 0.1" shorter that the Whipple. The claim is that because they use a billitt case they can package larger diameter rotors into the same size case. My grand plan was to use 80lb shorty injectors to clear up any issues with the width of the case....of course that means hand made fuel rails as well.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

Quote Originally Posted by SCrazy View Post
    Remarkably the KB 2.4 is over 2" shorter than the whipple 2.3 but its only 1/4" wider and is 0.1" shorter that the Whipple. The claim is that because they use a billitt case they can package larger diameter rotors into the same size case. My grand plan was to use 80lb shorty injectors to clear up any issues with the width of the case....of course that means hand made fuel rails as well.
    Everything is doable in the long run. I take it you have come across a KB you can use for a project. I did a KB setup for a member in the club so I know it can work. I beleive the Whipple works just as well and length is not that big a problem. Still in the long run KBs are not available in anything but used condition so for the rank and file its a mute issue

Ken

93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, air intercooled..yet to see

Well, the swept volume of the rotors should increase exponentially with radius, but only linearly with length. So that explains some of the packaging.

Well.....my drive ratio is greater than 3:1 so im spnning it well north of 20k rpm. Thats more than 20% above max rated rpm and extremely inefficient. If i could shed 50 hp in parasitic losses.....lower air temps.....and have increased boost potential then we would be cooking
    Yikes. Well, that explains the need for a bigger blower then. I am guessing that your motor must be breathing pretty well, making that blower really work for its PSI.
    God bless!!!

1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

Everything is doable in the long run. I take it you have come across a KB you can use for a project. I did a KB setup for a member in the club so I know it can work. I beleive the Whipple works just as well and length is not that big a problem. Still in the long run KBs are not available in anything but used condition so for the rank and file its a mute issue

Ken
    I don't think a reasonably priced KB is in my future. Bare head units are not to be readily found and to purchase an entire kit then scrap everything but the blower is crazy and that's assuming you can find a kit with the right drive length.

If this happens I think my only option will be Whipple.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

Quote Originally Posted by neverfastenough View Post
    Nah, just dont want to see sccoa stuck at 499rwhp till im old and grey.
    Corey,

No worries, John Loudorf topped that number at the 2012 Shootout. I'm also planning to beat his 504 rwhp within the next month or two.

http://www.sc-shootout.com/EventCoverage2012.htm

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firm-ryd337 View Post
    On that kb subject. I know you have to do certain mods to make a AR or a whipple to fit the thunderbird, but the same mods would have to be done to the kb to to make it fit just like all the other aftermarket supercharger on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong? The way I look at it I want to switch to a liquid cooled kb setup. Lower temps with max of 18-20psi. And either way I go I'm gonna have to invest in supporting mods. So the big question is the kb worth the extra price, especially if I switched to a liquid cooled set up?
    No fancy liquid cooling is needed on an "AR/KB" setup making 20+psi, that is simply dealt with using large air to air IC or methanol injection.
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Corey,

No worries, John Loudorf topped that number at the 2012 Shootout. I'm also planning to beat his 504 rwhp within the next month or two.

http://www.sc-shootout.com/EventCoverage2012.htm

David
    His went boom, no one says why.............
    Making woosh sounds since 2010!

After hearing John was not using any race fuel on the dyno or the track, I think I know what happened. That said, I'd still like some confirmation on what happened, mainly to avoid it myself.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

It didn't go boom, it developed a knock and he quit to avoid further damage. I suspect rpm and oil supply had something to do with it. Casey can relate to that.

His car made 500rwhp like it was it's job. On pump gas. If it had a bigger blower, it would have made more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

This thread got good, really good.