can ic return tube be installed with ps pump already on?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Uggggh I think I messed up! I have all my brackets and crap on and can't
get the ic return tube in! Did I just screw up bad? I hate to pull the damn pulley off the PS pump since it always messes them up! Can the tube be installed with the ps pump in place? if so how????

the entire bracket setup has to come forward but doesn't necessarily need to come all the way off the alignment stud in the head

sorry

once you've done it as many times as I have its really no big deal

should go faster 2nd time around for you

if u have good motor mounts and dont mind cutting the attachment mounts off then yes u can do it, just be careful not to knock the return line nipple off the ps pump reservior

Try pulling the PS pump forward as far as it will go on the existing lines.

Off the studs.

What ever way you can, belt the pump as high as it will go.

Bring the pipe in on the cab side and get it lodged in.

From underneath, give it a grab and keep up and down motion pulling towards IC.

It should get you positioned.

Paul

I was going to ask about that from your picture on your other post. Noticed everything was together but no IC tube. Honestly, do you really need that bracket that fits behind the coolant hose? The bolt holding the tube to the PSP bracket should support the weight. If you cant reach that lower nut behind the dreaded support plate, then you probably will have to remove the pulley again.
At this point, you should own your own pulley tool and the procedure should be routine. :D

I pulled my worn driver side engine mount entirely from the top side in about 1-1/2 hours by removing all the LH bracket stuff, tubes and all. Thats how routine its become for me :cool:

Last edited:
This was probably one of the most frustrating engines to work on. I did the same thing you did plus a few others. I found out you can't put in the cam sensor with the a/c bracket on. I found out its difficult to install the intake inlet plenum with the blower bolted on. This is doable but would be much easier with the blower removed.

I ended up removing PS bracket to get lower tube on

Its one of those things I forgot about.. I've had it apart since 08 ! Surprised I'm not missing a bunch of stuff lol!

You can get to those 4 bolts on the p/s-alt bracket with a 3/8 ratchet, a small swivel extention for the bolt behind the p/s pulley, and a deep well socket for the bolt immediatly right of the water pump, it's a pain to get off with out a zero degree ratchet. I think you need a 13mm & a 15mm. I take the whole bracket off my car in about 15 mins. A bright light, or a flashlight holder (kids are great for this) help. I'm usually lying across the front of the car to reach the bolts & keep from killing my back. I find this to be easier than removing the power steering pump and pulley. Hope that helps.

You can get to those 4 bolts on the p/s-alt bracket with a 3/8 ratchet, a small swivel extention for the bolt behind the p/s pulley, and a deep well socket for the bolt immediatly right of the water pump, it's a pain to get off with out a zero degree ratchet. I think you need a 13mm & a 15mm. I take the whole bracket off my car in about 15 mins. A bright light, or a flashlight holder (kids are great for this) help. I'm usually lying across the front of the car to reach the bolts & keep from killing my back. I find this to be easier than removing the power steering pump and pulley. Hope that helps.

I will have to try that tommarow i had to work until 7pm last nite! Im off today but have to go get a tooth cut out wheeeeee! Im off tommarow and today so if im not feeling to crappy i plan on getting that stupid ic tube on and firing this thing up!

this is what I was talking about...15mins no problem very easy...the 2 15mm bolts you can go straight at with a ratchet and extension, the 2 13mm nuts on the water pump are easy and then the 15mm nut on the stud that comes out of the head just needs a medium deep 15mm socket (i use a 1/2" drive) and a swivle joint and an extension. Once it is loose you can just slide it forward about 3-4" and lower IC tube should go right in

this is what I was talking about...15mins no problem very easy...the 2 15mm bolts you can go straight at with a ratchet and extension, the 2 13mm nuts on the water pump are easy and then the 15mm nut on the stud that comes out of the head just needs a medium deep 15mm socket (i use a 1/2" drive) and a swivle joint and an extension. Once it is loose you can just slide it forward about 3-4" and lower IC tube should go right in

Yep!! Worked well took me about 15 minutes!!

Back