Bullet Proof, 4340 Chromoly 28 Spline CV Shaft Outers

So if the outers dont break then where is the next weak point? Just curious. Do you think the inners will be the nest weak point? Dumping the clutch at 5000 RPMs :D

Something is going to break next, but who knows it could be the slip yolk. Ive seen more of those break than inside cv's. At least RCV is willing to do options in case we'd break an inner or the shaft next. We could technically build a full crazy axle if need be. SO you in or out Rico!? BTW 3800rpm clutch releases on my wimpy turbo car net 1.6 60fts, no need for this 5000k rpm stuff.

Something is going to break next, but who knows it could be the slip yolk. Ive seen more of those break than inside cv's. At least RCV is willing to do options in case we'd break an inner or the shaft next. We could technically build a full crazy axle if need be. SO you in or out Rico!? BTW 3800rpm clutch releases on my wimpy turbo car net 1.6 60fts, no need for this 5000k rpm stuff.

Maybe. Ill have to see after new years. I have not even been able to place the order on the MP coated rotors. This are moving slow for me.

More than anything, the benefit of these parts would be consistency. Aftermarket parts are often re-manufactured and of questionable quality. do you really want to find out you got a bad one in the staging line at the Shootout?

A new company making a part for the tbird that solves an actual problem, and sells it for a reasonable price is great. A relatively small price premium for a part of known quality is a win, any day of the week.

hmmmmm, transbrake= axle carnage. around income tax i may be interested.

as binks said to me "your hard on parts, look in group buy" new there was an upgrade for osmething!

A couple of us on TCCOA were likely gonna order the DSS axles right after the new year, but this might be a better alternative.

How much for a full axle set with all the bells and whistles in 4130? In 300M?

The other guy already broke an axle and I'm planning on 6500 launches on 4.88-5.13 gears, so I know I'd be on borrowed time.

Yea I've broke 4,2 in one day so my question is, is this gonna be any stronger I've level 5s ordered with cobra 31 spline inners, but I'm not against getting a set of these I'm just curious if its gonna be any stronger

These are much stronger, Last I asked I believe their engineer said roughly twice as strong as stock. The factory is probably a case hardened lower carbon steel than these. These are chromoly and they're covering them under a life time warranty, they are very convinced that we wont be breaking these! Stress risers in the factory design also look to be eliminated. I know mine all broke at an obvious stress riser right where the splines start.

These are much stronger, Last I asked I believe their engineer said roughly twice as strong as stock. The factory is probably a case hardened lower carbon steel than these. These are chromoly and they're covering them under a life time warranty, they are very convinced that we wont be breaking these! Stress risers in the factory design also look to be eliminated. I know mine all broke at an obvious stress riser right where the splines start.

Robert was specifically asking if they were gonna be stronger than the DSS axles which are made out of 4340 chromoly.

Robert was specifically asking if they were gonna be stronger than the DSS axles which are made out of 4340 chromoly.

RCV is an off road line, they make on road axles which are sold under the DSS name. AFAIK they are identical. The wheel hubs they want to do for us are 4340, and Im assuming these are also. I think DSS sells them as 31 spline though with new wheel hubs. These are 28 spline. Naturally more splines is stronger.

These would be weaker than dss level 5 because of the spline count, these are basically the dss 600hp ones

Last edited:
Oh ok I see. My setup is currently stock 28 spline, but I'm still interested in what a full 4340 or 300M axle set will run. Subscribed. :)

BTW, please ask if [higher] spline count alters any of the pricing while you're at it.

Oh ok I see. My setup is currently stock 28 spline, but I'm still interested in what a full 4340 or 300M axle set will run. Subscribed. :)

BTW, please ask if [higher] spline count alters any of the pricing while you're at it.

Im going to try to direct the guy Im talking to, to this thread. Ive been killing this guy with questions. IF you want a mean axle its going to probably be 31 spline inner also with the porsche style hub.

These stock axles have lived in very high hp supercoupes with proper use. Since they are on the ragged edge of their limit, mild wheel hop or abuse at these 400rwhp to 800rwhp levels is basically instant death. These chromoly ones are extra insurance, for a slip outta the burnout box, or the accidental poor launch etc. Nothing is designed to handle ridiculous shock loads. Therefore, in a properly setup car, especially auto. I cant see why anyone here would need 31 spine. IF you're spinning donuts in wal-mart parking lot hitting pot holes.....well nothing is bullet proof. Luckily it is no questions asked warranty, so If this happened, we're covered.

The first group buy here IS what it IS, 28 spline chromoly outers. I will try to answer custom ap questions tho. I dont want to clutter the thread with them though

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a set of these in the spring also if funds permit.

I've already broken 6 of them at the hub. The last time 2 at once. It would be nice to eliminate that problem if at all possible. I have a set of the stockers sitting here just waiting to put them on LOL!!!

The DSS level 5 outers are 33 spline with a special hub. The 33 spline hub by itself is 225-250 when I last checked.

correct... DSS 5 are the 31 spline inner and 33 spline outer and require a custom machined hub.

Otherwise DSS products are 31 spline inner and 28 spline outer.

what is being discussed here is the outer CV joint with integral stub shaft.

SC's have a 28 spline inner CV joint (28 splines in the side gears of the diff). Mustang Cobra's have 31 spline inner CV joints (31 splines in the side gears of the diff).
The larger inner CV joint didn't stop cobra's from shattering the outer CV joint, just like we do on the SC's. Thus DS came up with the DSS 5 product.

Back