Bullet Proof, 4340 Chromoly 28 Spline CV Shaft Outers

correct... DSS 5 are the 31 spline inner and 33 spline outer and require a custom machined hub.

Otherwise DSS products are 31 spline inner and 28 spline outer.

what is being discussed here is the outer CV joint with integral stub shaft.

SC's have a 28 spline inner CV joint (28 splines in the side gears of the diff). Mustang Cobra's have 31 spline inner CV joints (31 splines in the side gears of the diff).
The larger inner CV joint didn't stop cobra's from shattering the outer CV joint, just like we do on the SC's. Thus DS came up with the DSS 5 product.

Mike,

DSS also makes a thunderbird (89-97) and 99 Cobra halfshaft with a 28 spline inner.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domes...underbird-1989-1997-600hp-complete-rear-axles

If I'm reading Corey's post correctly, these DSS shafts use the same 28 spline outers being offered in this thread.

David

I'm in for the outers. How about the inners, mine are leaking so have to pull apart for boots anyways.

I have 31 spline inners due to the cobra R center section. I would be interested in one set of 31 spline inners too. if you get a group buy set up.

Im sure they can, these guys machine all this stuff from 4340 billet, theres no minimum order on most stuff, just machining time. Im broke, I know many others who are broke. So if a full axle is what you guys want to do, you need to leave this thread and Ill look into it, I just dont think the interest will be there.

Say the outer is 195, the inner will be more Im sure, lets say 250, guess at 200 for the center shaft. Lets still be generous and say an axle is going to be 700bux a pop......THIS IS A TOTAL GUESS....but I bet Im close.

I was advised by a member here to not do a group by months ago. We got a good break in price so I decided to post it. I dont want a headache. So far RCV has be very nice to drop ship to you guys to keep work off me. Basically Im just keeping them updated and organizing this, they dont normally sell like this and use dealers naturally.

SOOOOOO. Is SCCoA ready to pay for a full set of axles? Definitely breaking away from 3 figure prices to 4. I think you guys should save some money for the wheel hubs we're working out. Those are the real breakthru for the community as these are obsolete. And they wont be cheap either since they are also machined from 4340 billet.

So please guys, let me know what you want to do.

Do you guys want:

1) Outters<$400
2) Outters and inners later<$1000
3) Full axle 28 spline inner and outer>$1500GUESS
4) Full axle I dont care what it costs as long as it doesnt break, I dont care what spline or what I gotta do to make it work

Last edited:
I can only afford the outers at this time. I think trying to do a whole axle buy is going to be a deal breaker for most people. JMO.

I'll be honest at close to $2000 I'd be buying parts for a solid rear.

Outers sound real good though.

Im sure they can, these guys machine all this stuff from 4340 billet, theres no minimum order on most stuff, just machining time. Im broke, I know many others who are broke. So if a full axle is what you guys want to do, you need to leave this thread and Ill look into it, I just dont think the interest will be there.

Say the outer is 195, the inner will be more Im sure, lets say 250, guess at 200 for the center shaft. Lets still be generous and say an axle is going to be 700bux a pop......THIS IS A TOTAL GUESS....but I bet Im close.

I was advised by a member here to not do a group by months ago. We got a good break in price so I decided to post it. I dont want a headache. So far RCV has be very nice to drop ship to you guys to keep work off me. Basically Im just keeping them updated and organizing this, they dont normally sell like this and use dealers naturally.

SOOOOOO. Is SCCoA ready to pay for a full set of axles? Definitely breaking away from 3 figure prices to 4. I think you guys should save some money for the wheel hubs we're working out. Those are the real breakthru for the community as these are obsolete. And they wont be cheap either since they are also machined from 4340 billet.

So please guys, let me know what you want to do.

Do you guys want:

1) Outters<$400
2) Outters and inners later<$1000
3) Full axle 28 spline inner and outer>$1500GUESS
4) Full axle I dont care what it costs as long as it doesnt break, I dont care what spline or what I gotta do to make it work

Corey,

Sorry...I'm not trying to muddy the water on this group buy for the outer stubs and I'm still in for two to use on my 91 SC. My only concern with buying the stub shafts, is what difficulty there may be in doing the swap, repacking the grease and resealing the boots.

I'm just looking for options other than the DSS level 2 shafts for use on my turbo car. The DSS level 2 only comes with a one year warranty, and if I could get something with equal or more strength that had a lifetime warranty I'd buy it instead of the DSS level 2 shafts. At this point I'm not interested in going to bigger spline shafts on the inner or the outer, just want the strongest stock size replacement possible.

David

Corey,

Sorry...I'm not trying to muddy the water on this group buy for the outer stubs and I'm still in for two to use on my 91 SC. My only concern with buying the stub shafts, is what difficulty there may be in doing the swap, repacking the grease and resealing the boots.

I'm just looking for options other than the DSS level 2 shafts for use on my turbo car. The DSS level 2 only comes with a one year warranty, and if I could get something with equal or more strength that had a lifetime warranty I'd buy it instead of the DSS level 2 shafts. At this point I'm not interested in going to bigger spline shafts on the inner or the outer, just want the strongest stock size replacement possible.

David

No prob David, well stick with the outers come group buy time, and Ill look into a full 28 spline axle then for your turbo car and others who may want them. I hate to drown RCV in questions, it took me awhile to get them to think we're serious, we do drive tbirds and not mustangs.....

No prob David, well stick with the outers come group buy time, and Ill look into a full 28 spline axle then for your turbo car and others who may want them. I hate to drown RCV in questions, it took me awhile to get them to think we're serious, we do drive tbirds and not mustangs.....

Corey,

Just to keep things moving along with my winter mods, I went ahead and ordered a set of the DSS Level 2 halfshafts for my 93 SC, so I won't need the complete halfshafts from RCV.

David

Last edited:
Back