Buy an mp inlet or buy an mpx??

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
I can't decide what to do here.... I have a ported late model
an I know an mp inlet is a nice upgrade! But I've been thinking mpx
Errrrr... I'm going to be running a 75hp shot for the track what our the
HP limitations of a late model with an mp inlet?

Inlet would be a good way to save money and do other mods like a larger Tb and maf and intake.

That's kinda my line of thought.. basically I want this car low 13s high
12s at the 2013 shootout. I'm hoping that adding an mp inlet, n20
injectors, maf, tb tune double ic and slicks will get me there!

Buying the mp inlet plenum will save you about 500 bucks compared to buying the mpx. You can make a little more hp and torque with the mpx though. In my opinion if you're going to be doing all of this I say go big or go home. Buy the mpx! :D

I can't decide what to do here.... I have a ported late model
an I know an mp inlet is a nice upgrade! But I've been thinking mpx
Errrrr... I'm going to be running a 75hp shot for the track what our the
HP limitations of a late model with an mp inlet?

Ive had both but this is where you are going to end up anyway Jacob. If you add an inlet it should make your car very fun to drive it seemed to move the hp and tq up the rpm with a 76 maf and 75 tb like I had. As for buying the mpx? If you do it imo to do it right you need the mpx inlet coated roter pack because the last thing you want is to put a high mileage pack in a brand new mpx case. A dbl inter cooler will be ok but you will really need a front mount to maximize any of the parts you are talking about adding. Then there is the qtr horse (which you will need ) that is going to set you back a few hundred at least and i have found out that the tune is one of the most important things you can do after dropping this kind of coin. you will also need a wideband 02 which is just short of 200 a snow kit 350 (not a have too but mine has it because I dont want to run hot and the extra ponies will be nice plus your ait will stay way down especially if you dont run a fmic. Then there is an 85 tb 90 or slot maf and 60 to 80 lb injectors. So long story short you are looking at 4 grand to do an mpx or 5 - 600 for an mp inlet (no comparrison) I am not saying that all of this is absolutely necessary but if you are like me and you have put as much into your car as you have I would make damn sure you do everything right the first time lol. If you need any advice on any of this let me know via pm and I will be more than happy to help you out!
David

Make it X rated. You'll need it with a 75 shot just to make sure. You wont compain if it runs a low 12 will you?
chris

Low 12s would be great! Dave I'm kinda going about this backwards of how you did your car I started from the bottom end up you seem to have gone the other way lol which you end up in the same place at the end. I just wanted to get mine running and driving where i could add stuff as I go and have a stout bottom end so I wouldn't have to mess with it again. I hate pulling the motor out of these cars! I'm kind of torn on what direction to go because I need to upgrade Maf, tb, ic, injectors either way! I'm thinking I should go with the bigger stuff on them as to not have to change it all later! A blower swap no big deal. I can weld aluminum and am not at all scared to fab up a front mount! I just want to keep my ac!! I'm also getting qh and a wideband. Worst case scenario I want to have everything to support the mpx before I get one. Seems that I could resell an mp inlet and ported late model easily when I get a mpx I just know the unported inlet is really a choke point ! My late model is ported and has the silencer ports welded up. I can't remember who on here I bought it off of but they claimed high 12s with an mp inlet(no idea what other mods they had) seems that I have a bottom end that will support higher hp levels , I really wonder how far I can take things with this blower and a 75hp shot of n20

So get an MPX and not buy a larger TB and Intake?

Sure if money is no object and you know thats the final destination then just sell the 94-95 blower and get the kitchen sink.

Does your heads have bigger valves?

I'd buy a used MP inlet and upgrade to an MPX with a rebuilt coated rotor pack later. MP inlet with a ported late model blower and a 75mm TB can easily make 325 rwhp which is enough for 12s.

David

Reman heads from 05 with stock size valves ported and polished. I'd eventually like to Goto big valve heads but have no desire to tear the motor apart again for awhile! It's been un drivable for way to long! I need to dd it some this spring so I can do an engine swap and suspension rebuild on my gt! It has 350k and never had the suspension touched! Lots of squeaks and funky noises lol I have a 40k mile 01 pi motor and a complete perfect 99 cobra interior for it sitting in the garage.. it needs a little tlc my 700 mile a week drive is hard on stuff! The sc is the lowest mile thing I own it's time to get to actually drive it and enjoy instead of seeing it sit there in the garage. It's never seen snow or gravel roads and never will but it's going to be drove and enjoyed! I need to figure out what I'm doing buy parts and get it tuned !

Low 12s would be great! Dave I'm kinda going about this backwards of how you did your car I started from the bottom end up you seem to have gone the other way lol which you end up in the same place at the end. I just wanted to get mine running and driving where i could add stuff as I go and have a stout bottom end so I wouldn't have to mess with it again. I hate pulling the motor out of these cars! I'm kind of torn on what direction to go because I need to upgrade Maf, tb, ic, injectors either way! I'm thinking I should go with the bigger stuff on them as to not have to change it all later! A blower swap no big deal. I can weld aluminum and am not at all scared to fab up a front mount! I just want to keep my ac!! I'm also getting qh and a wideband. Worst case scenario I want to have everything to support the mpx before I get one. Seems that I could resell an mp inlet and ported late model easily when I get a mpx I just know the unported inlet is really a choke point ! My late model is ported and has the silencer ports welded up. I can't remember who on here I bought it off of but they claimed high 12s with an mp inlet(no idea what other mods they had) seems that I have a bottom end that will support higher hp levels , I really wonder how far I can take things with this blower and a 75hp shot of n20
Well 300 - 325 like dave said especially without a front mount. My car with a stock bottom end and innercooler was prob right around 285 befor I replace the top end. I didnt go backwards from what you did, I was under the impression I had a bottom end with 3 - 5000 miles on it or I would have went with a balanced forged bottom end from the get? If you want give me a call 618 727 4137 and I can tell you what you are getting in to.

Last edited:
You can easily hit over 300rwhp with ported stock valve heads and a ported 94-95 blower with mp inlet 85mm TB, 90mm MAF. An MPX without the TB larger intake and MAF will not perform as well. So work on that MP inlet, TB and larger MAF..And have fun

If using a double IC save the money and get inlet and other hardware. Stock valves are a restriction. You won't be able OD the mpx and really benefit from the extra od. I go with Dammons plan for now.

Well 300 - 325 like dave said especially without a front mount. My car with a stock bottom end and innercooler was prob right around 285 befor I replace the top end. I didnt go backwards from what you did, I was under the impression I had a bottom end with 3 - 5000 miles on it or I would have went with a balanced forged bottom end from the get? If you want give me a call 618 727 4137 and I can tell you what you are getting in to.

Sorry dave forgot about the motor being supposedly low mile and failing that sucks bad!
I'm not afraid to put some money in this thing and want to do things right! Just trying to figure out what to do first since its finally running again. I built a motor and had to pull it back out because of a radiator failure!! Why didn't I just buy a new radiator then? I was broke lol!

You can easily hit over 300rwhp with ported stock valve heads and a ported 94-95 blower with mp inlet 85mm TB, 90mm MAF. An MPX without the TB larger intake and MAF will not perform as well. So work on that MP inlet, TB and larger MAF..And have fun

So 80m or 75 on the tb? Also will #60s and a 255lph leave me room to grow?

85mm Tb and 80mm maf
60lbs injectors since that's popular, you don't need that much fuel but with a dry kit should work well.

Back