body swap

92sclikenew

what a pain.. i been working on the wiring and i thought it was gonna be pretty simple but nooooo...... :(:(

the car i picked up needs the harness for the engine by.. but i didnt know that includes the whole car:eek:

found out the harness for the abs and ride control are a ~~~~ to remove.. involves door harness's seat harness fuel tank. just about everything

heres some pics of my progress but in the garage for 3 weeks put about 30 hours into the whole project so far from pulling the engine to getting the rest of this wire out and then moving to fuel system because that got hacked also:rolleyes::mad:

pic 1, day 1 first pulled in the garage
pic 2 , day 1 motors pulled
pic 3 , day 1 motor and trans pulled in 1 piece
pic 4 , day 7 front clip pulled and some wiring unhooked
pic 5 , day 10 starting to remove dash because i realized the harness wont be removed till then

Attachments

• old bird.jpg
    old bird.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 140
  • download 5.jpg
    download 5.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 137
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 133
  • download8.jpg
    download8.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 132
  • download9.jpg
    download9.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 132
some more work

pic 6, day 10 done for the night :rolleyes:
pic 7, day 15 dash is out (this sunday 12-16)
pic 8, day 15 dash out (inside pic) includes heater box removal
pic 9, day 15 engine harness all out brake booster deal removed and any other little part that might be needed.
pic 10, engine harness

and for anyone wondering that is the front mount the car has installed that you can see in the pics works very well

Attachments

• download 10.jpg
    download 10.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 100
  • download 11.jpg
    download 11.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 104
  • download 12.jpg
    download 12.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 107
  • download 13.jpg
    download 13.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 103
  • download 14.jpg
    download 14.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
this is the car its going into both cars are 92's :D

attachment.php

What was the purpose of all this work again? :confused:

blue car is about to fold in 1/2

damon the project is almost done.. lol well almost finished with the blue car;)

just need to pull the

fuel system
struts, because i have eibachs on it
rear truck lid
and then throw it on the trailer to hit the scrap yard!

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the wiper cowling on the blue car? :D Or any other parts for that matter.
Got the crap beat out of 2 of my birds in a hail storm last spring. I'm in need of exterior parts that are hard to find these days.
Like windshield moulding, cowling, etc.

Last edited:
What are you going to do with the wiper cowling on the blue car? :D Or any other parts for that matter.
Got the crap beat out of 2 of my birds in a hail storm last spring. I'm in need of exterior parts that are hard to find these days.
Like windshield moulding, cowling, etc.

the parts for the blue car are listed in the sale section.. cowlings are broke and junk everything such as front clip and harness and engine/trans stuff ill be keeping

any parts i dont need are for sale.. already sold side skirts

Last edited:
Yeah its a lot of work for sure .. Ive done it about 3 times in an MN12. Looks like a fun project. :D

- Dan

im sure the hard work comes when your trying to be very careful and not damage the nice car:eek::(

Especially when they have a brand new paint job. :p Tearing the car donor down was the easy part .. then tearing it down again in the recipient vehicle is a repeat of everything done on the first car. Fun part is sorting through all of the nuts and bolts and getting everything back where it needs to be with enough storage space to keep all of the parts before they are installed in the car .. but then you dont want to put them on until they are all cleaned up. Lots of cleaning to be done. ;)

- Dan

I feel your pain!

I bought my 89 donor cause it had under 15,000 miles on it. At the time, I was driving a Turbocoupe with a 5.0 and AOD. I was already in love with the ride control, having some power, and nice creature comforts.
So that started the buildplan for my SC.
Then I buy a 97 lx sport that had an engine fire somewhere in the twin cities.
Im thinkin baudda bing! pull driveline and suspension. clean it all up, put it in the new car. SHAZAAM! and then it dawns.. one uses obd1 there is an obd11 system. hmmm. and then all of the SC's I have use a big round bulkhead connector to get through the firewall. The 97 must match, right? NO says mr ford.
Three years later I have put a couple hundred miles on the car and really enjoy it. I am amazed every time I turn the key that it doesn't belch out the magic smoke and never work again:D So far so good
hang in there, its so cool when it IS WHAT YOU WANT when its done

Next summer I'm going to be pulling the engine and trans out of one 1990 SC and swapping them into another 1990 SC. I'm keeping the bumpers, seats, side skirts, suspension, and then hopefully finding junk wheels as I don't want to junk a set of SC wheels. Or I could leave the bumpers and everything and donate the roller to someone who wants to put a big block or something in it but the rockers are shot and need repair (I would just weld material in, doesn't have to be pretty).

Next summer I'm going to be pulling the engine and trans out of one 1990 SC and swapping them into another 1990 SC. I'm keeping the bumpers, seats, side skirts, suspension, and then hopefully finding junk wheels as I don't want to junk a set of SC wheels. Or I could leave the bumpers and everything and donate the roller to someone who wants to put a big block or something in it but the rockers are shot and need repair (I would just weld material in, doesn't have to be pretty).

Only thing left holding the car together is he roof and Trans tunnel

I feel for ya man! I probably spent about the same amount of time (30hr) to pull all the harnesses. I labelled everything, as it was being transferred to my pick-up, not another SC.

I am now reconnecting everything. How many miles of wire are in one of these things anyway???

I have already dropped the ABS wiring out. Hope the control module doesnt miss it. I will start the engine, then see what other things can be deleted.

Good luck - John L.

Attachments

• Wiring harness  brake MC.jpg
    Wiring harness brake MC.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 83
I'm hoping to not have to swap any wiring. Hopefully in a week of turning wrenches a few hours a day I'll have the swap done and be able to drive an auto trans SC again. Problem is I'm in Afghanistan, one car is in Ohio, and the other in Michigan. So I need to get them both in Michigan, bring my tools up from Ohio, buy or borrow my buddy's cherry picker, draft a friend to help, and get to work.

Last edited:
finally day 21 12-30-12 got some more work done.. its been cold :eek:

removed a little more wiring which it dont look like im gonna need it but im not ruling it out yet....

and got the gas tank removed

pic 11, day 30 friend heling removing the gas tank after finishing removing the rear part of the exhaust
pic 12, day 30 tank finally down
pic 13, day 30 removed the rest of the fuel system a lot easier then i thought it would be:D

Attachments

• download 17.jpg
    download 17.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 77
  • download 18.jpg
    download 18.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 83
  • download 19.jpg
    download 19.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 75
why didn't you keep the rear bumper?

ran out of time and space to store crap it was in pretty decent shape
:rolleyes:

the fenders hood and front end parts are going on another blue sc i got that i been slowly piecing together or them parts prob would have gone to

Back