Operation 10.0

You need glasses? :) Only notches are what you told Wiseco to put in them.

All good as far as I can see. I guess you are just seeing carbon build up.

I'll try to pull the bottom end tonight.

You need glasses? :) Only notches are what you told Wiseco to put in them.

All good as far as I can see. I guess you are just seeing carbon build up.

Maybe, what is this then? Looks like some significant traces of detonation too. But it could just be my eyes. I'm old. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Chris piston.jpg
    Chris piston.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 293
Yeah just cleaning it up and checking it out. Bearings, rings, coatings probably some new valve springs. See if we got any cap walk going on.

Good thing no signs of eating spark plugs back in the day.

Dave, what are the signs of detonation you see? The clean spots around the intake valves? I think the flash was playing tricks in the pic. there is definatly circular carbon build up.

No visible wear on the valve stems.

Was I seeing things or are there little ticks from the exhaust valves?

Pictures are too fuzzy to be sure about what I see on the pistons. Looks like detonation pock marks but not sure.

By the intake pockets, is the coating blasted off on some of them? Looks like it to me. The gold color might be the coating, but more likely it's discolored aluminum. You'll know once you clean it up more.

I checked it this morning after your post pretty sure no ticks. I'll get some better pics and take some good carbon cleaner home and a brush and report back later.

WoW! Now that's amazing that you can have all those miles on the engine and that razar blade is still clean as a whistle! Amazing how it can be in the engne all that time and not show any carbon build up at all!

Are the blades in all the cylinders that clean, or just the one in the picture?

Ira

Got 5 of the 6 pistons out, had to take a break to watch some TV. Definitely time for a rebuild. Skirt coating looks like it is holding up well. #1 looks like it might have ate some plug debris or detonation. No rings are pinched, still not sure about #3 ut should be good. Crank rod journals still look good. Rod bearings are worn out.

Attachments

• pan off.jpg
    pan off.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 808
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 98
  • #1 scuffing.jpg
    #1 scuffing.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 97
  • #1 rod bearing.jpg
    #1 rod bearing.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Well guess I jinxed myself. #3 has a pinched ring. Dave here are pics of the top of #3. The spot where you think you saw detonation is 10-11 o'clock but I guess you can figure that out yourself. The scuff I show in the pics is at 7-8 o'clock. Piston is soaking in some cleaner now. The bearings are black except where you can see the shiney spot.

Attachments

• #3 rod bearing.jpg
    #3 rod bearing.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 747
  • #3 piston top.jpg
    #3 piston top.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 95
  • #3 pston top scuffing.jpg
    #3 pston top scuffing.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 95
  • #3 possible deto.jpg
    #3 possible deto.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 86
  • #3 scuffing.jpg
    #3 scuffing.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 757
Last edited:
Bummer.

I wonder what's the best way of preventing 3 and 6 from getting abususive detonation.

Extra conservative tune?

I think it looks pretty good for the abuse its been thru. All that scuffing probably came from when I used nitrous way back in the day. When it melted about 4 plugs total, not at one time and had 30* of timing in it.

I was thinking of salvaging these. But maybe I should just get new for the black car and stick these with rods in the red car? I'll shoot you an email.

Got the crank out. Got some cap walk.

Attachments

• 1 main.jpg
    1 main.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 83
  • main 2.jpg
    main 2.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 78
  • main 3.jpg
    main 3.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 79
  • main 4.jpg