brake caliper tear down

hi to all and merry christmas. i have been doing a brake up grade on my bird. i have a spare set of rear calipers. i am at an impass, i cant get the spring to compress so i can remove all the guts and seals so i can powder coat them. i have tried with a c-clamp on top a flat washer on top a socket. it won't compress so i can remove the snap ring. this all sets under the caliper piston and is part of the parking brake. has anybody had this problem? i have pushed hard enough to mash the hat a bit.

That is a decent kit. This caliper design sucks plain and simple. I have had luck with them about 50 percent of the time. That is a terrible track record IMO. Although the General Motors ratcheting rear calipers of the same era are worse IMO. I have never had a pair ratchet back and typically end up replacing rear calipers of a gm product of that vintage all the time.

hi guys, i am not sure that i worded my question correctly. i have the pistons out of the calipers. what i need to remove is the stuff from under the piston. there is a seal that won't survive the heat from the coating process. if you look into the caliper you will see a snap ring at the bottom. i am sure that the hat needs to be shoved down to release the pressure on the ring, then the ring should be able to be removed. although my snap ring pliers won't fit down into the caliper. lol. has anybody had a caliper this far apart?

got it figured. i was able to work the snapp ring out and get it all apart. it was full of rust and dirt. maybe i can get them powdercoated today before the blizzard hits. i un wired my generator so i could run my oven, if i don't wire it back up i will be in trouble with my girl friend. big deal about her:rolleyes:, my house has all copper plumbing. i don't want that to freeze!!!!

722 - I think you overthought the possible problem.

A caliper can be as hot as 400F under sustained heavy braking ANYWAY (look up the boiling point of DOT3 fluid sometimes!), and you can powdercoat a finished assembly no problem unless you're using a really hot bake cycle.

But eh. Of the problems I've got in my brakes, that ain't one of them :D

(Problems being factory hoses in the back I've not replaced yet)

RwP

Well Ralph, i don't think i have. Try to get your parts coated from a powder coater with any parts that may or may not take the heat. I won't do it. Your life may depend upon what i put in my oven some day, or your childrens. So i don't believe i over thought the problem, i solved it. Have a nice day Ralph.

Back