Winter projects

They were speced to make 600 rwhp on the 3.8. I am afraid my nonlocking TQ converter will make that difficult to acheive. I am hopeing I can give a couple of the big dogs a run for the money.

Ken

Ken;
My experience with the non-locking converter is that it hides HP on the dyno. You will be showing smaller RWHP numbers and then go and spank the big dogs. The ultimate sleeper.
Alan

Ken;
My experience with the non-locking converter is that it hides HP on the dyno. You will be showing smaller RWHP numbers and then go and spank the big dogs. The ultimate sleeper.
Alan

Ryan Zimmerl would say dont sleep at the tree and you wont be the ultimate sleeper;):D:D

Ken

They were speced to make 600 rwhp on the 3.8. I am afraid my nonlocking TQ converter will make that difficult to acheive. I am hopeing I can give a couple of the big dogs a run for the money.

Ken

Ken,

The non locking AOD will not make huge dyno numbers, but it will flat out destroy a manual transmission car of similar power on the track. I would strongly suggest switching to a Lentech full manual VB with a trans brake. You will find that the car is much more enjoyable to drive with the full manual because it stays in whatever gear you select and doesn't give unwanted downshifts that can put you in a ditch.

To make the most of the trans brake you will also need a 2 step rev limiter.

David

Here are fit up pictures of exhaust. I really hate showing pictures of things in the rough. They always look sort of.........rough. Anyway all tubes are built with mandrel bends, connections are V bands. The waste gate tubes are have flanges and the wastegates are plumbed back into rear exhaust. Would have prefered to have seperate tubes all the way to the rear but there are space considerations. There is plenty of space between parts including the drive shaft. I made everything easy to take apart for easy of maintence. Everything is done now and assembly is in progress. Some will wonder why I didnt go stainless steel. Partly I dont like working with SS as it is hard to cut and fab with, besides weight. Mostly I figure down the road somewhere I will be changing stuff,( maybe bigger Turbos or something) so I have keep the exhaust as simple and inexpensive as I could. The down tubes are 21/4" to the turbos, stock exhaust manifolds, heavily ported. The down tubes will be heat wrapped with Heatshield's Lava wrap to keep all the heat I can going back to the turbos. They have SS braided flex sections to keep stress and flex from the turbos. The whole theory is to have gas velocity high to spool the turbos fast. Rear exhaust exiting turbos are 21/2" with SS flex sections. New Bora mufflers are there to quite the car even more. Here are these pictures for now. By the weekend I should have more finished looking pictures to post. There will be more pictures to follow

David: I will likely live with the AOD as it is for now. If I survive this build this winter and everything runs good I have considered going to a built C4 tranny as I really dont drive the car much on the highway. Or there are a few other options as well:D.

Ken

Attachments

• Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Exhaust 1.JPG
    Exhaust 1.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Exhaust 2.JPG
    Exhaust 2.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Fit uo.JPG
    Fit uo.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 133
Here are fit up pictures of exhaust. I really hate showing pictures of things in the rough. They always look sort of.........rough. Anyway all tubes are built with mandrel bends, connections are V bands. The waste gate tubes are have flanges and the wastegates are plumbed back into rear exhaust. Would have prefered to have seperate tubes all the way to the rear but there are space considerations. There is plenty of space between parts including the drive shaft. I made everything easy to take apart for easy of maintence. Everything is done now and assembly is in progress. Some will wonder why I didnt go stainless steel. Partly I dont like working with SS as it is hard to cut and fab with, besides weight. Mostly I figure down the road somewhere I will be changing stuff,( maybe bigger Turbos or something) so I have keep the exhaust as simple and inexpensive as I could. The down tubes are 21/4" to the turbos, stock exhaust manifolds, heavily ported. The down tubes will be heat wrapped with Heatshield's Lava wrap to keep all the heat I can going back to the turbos. They have SS braided flex sections to keep stress and flex from the turbos. The whole theory is to have gas velocity high to spool the turbos fast. Rear exhaust exiting turbos are 21/2" with SS flex sections. New Bora mufflers are there to quite the car even more. Here are these pictures for now. By the weekend I should have more finished looking pictures to post. There will be more pictures to follow

David: I will likely live with the AOD as it is for now. If I survive this build this winter and everything runs good I have considered going to a built C4 tranny as I really dont drive the car much on the highway. Or there are a few other options as well:D.

Ken

I have a feeling this car is going to have a silent exhaust note haha

Now I get it...these are are mid/rear mounted turbos located where the gas tank would normally be. Looks pretty cool ! So where are the air filters going to end up relative to the rear tires ?

David

Is that a lift your working on?

Almost looks like some type of homemade ramp/platform deal? Do you drive it up on that thing?

waiting....waiting....149 seconds to go...waiting....waiting.....81 seconds to go....waiting...waiting...

Here is the Intercooler I installed. It is rated to flow 1500 cfm. I modified it to fit my setup. It now has (2) 2" inlets flowing in and 31/2" outlet. The outlet is a little top big so a reducer brings it down to 3" Also the new heat exchanger that mounts in place of the big FMIC I use to have. I also modified it somewhat to suit my design. In size it does not cover the whole front area of the radiator so I should see more cool air passing through the cars radiator. Its capacity is far greater than I will need but bigger is better right, at least most of the time. The water pump I have is a Jabsco 50840 rated at over 29 gal per minute. That is unrestricted flow but even in my system it should move a lot of water and a lot of heat. I studied up on all this very carefully to get what I felt is the max for my money.

Attachments

• Intercooler.JPG
    Intercooler.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Heat exchanger.JPG
    Heat exchanger.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 73
Now I get it...these are are mid/rear mounted turbos located where the gas tank would normally be. Looks pretty cool ! So where are the air filters going to end up relative to the rear tires ?

David

When I deleted the rear seat & installed the roll bar I boxed in the area where the rear seat was. I installed a thin alum panel over it. The new turbo intakes attach to a intake box and the box allows the tubos to pull air through that thin panel. A fabricated box of light weight alum panel will cover that and will span from side panel to side panel. The side panels will be modified to allow air from the new side air scoops that will be on the side of the car behind the door and in front of the rear wheel opening. Yes the car will have functioning side air scoups which I have already mocked up but still have yet to fabricate and new paint to accent it all. The turbos will be getting nice cool air, all filtered

Ken.

When I deleted the rear seat & installed the roll bar I boxed in the area where the rear seat was. I installed a thin alum panel over it. The new turbo intakes attach to a intake box and the box allows the tubos to pull air through that thin panel. A fabricated box of light weight alum panel will cover that and will span from side panel to side panel. The side panels will be modified to allow air from the new side air scoops that will be on the side of the car behind the door and in front of the rear wheel opening. Yes the car will have functioning side air scoups which I have already mocked up but still have yet to fabricate and new paint to accent it all. The turbos will be getting nice cool air, all filtered

Ken.

now that will be cool!

Is that a lift your working on?

Almost looks like some type of homemade ramp/platform deal? Do you drive it up on that thing?

waiting....waiting....149 seconds to go...waiting....waiting.....81 seconds to go....waiting...waiting...

They are ramps I built long ago to work under the car. I dont have a lift like some of the guys in the club. Someday Maybe;) Waiting waiting just 145 seconds to go:( Now 85 seconds, who did this to us????

Ken

Ken.

Sounds like you have given this project a lot of thought. Can I assume you will be supplying pressurized motor oil to the turbos from the oil pressure sender connection and using a scavenge pump to return the oil to the motor ? If so where on the motor are you returning the oil, and do you also have a plan for venting the crank case or modifying the PCV system ?

David

Back