cruise controll dosent work

loneranger009

i just bought my first super coupe a 1990 mercury cougar xr7 supercharged. the cruise controll dosent turn on any ideas of what the problem might be

Mine was a mis-adjusted switch on the brake pedal stem under the dash.
Was adjusted so far out of whack it was reading I was stepping on the brakes so it would not engage the Cruise.
Re-adjusted and no problem.

Cc

How about the horn. Is it working. Also the ABS light does it flash a three pause the two, then a long pause and repeat? If so it is a clock spring. Even so i think these can fail just part not in all of the connections. If its not the switch or bad vacuum lines check this part for continuity.

How about the horn. Is it working. Also the ABS light does it flash a three pause the two, then a long pause and repeat? If so it is a clock spring. Even so i think these can fail just part not in all of the connections. If its not the switch or bad vacuum lines check this part for continuity.

Good advise for a 94-95 SC - but for a 1990, no clock spring.

They didn't use the clock spring until 1993 or 1994 (I want to say 1994, but there were so many changes in 1993, it may have been rolled in then.)

Getting back to the OP - time to check the BOO (Brake On/Off) switch (do the brake lights work properly? If so, that's in good shape), the vacuum dump valve (it's the higher one of the two off the brake pedal lever), vacuum lines to the servo (it's in the front fender up by the battery), the linkage to the servo, and if you're unlucky like me, it could be a broken servo or linkage.

I don't really know of any good way to test the servo and linkage, except by visual.

In order to make it easier, I would HIGHLY recommend picking up a factory service manual and a EVTM either from the original printers for Ford, Helm Inc ( http://www.helminc.com ) or off eBay. Check the pricing at Helm before you buy on eBay - our manuals tend to the cheap side for new (around $20 or so each), so a "Full manual set only $99.95!", whereas a heck of a deal for my Malibu, would be a rip for the SC *grins*

RwP

Back