Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super charger outlet collar wrench?

Super charger outlet collar wrench?

I see the outlet collar is supposed to be tightened to 148 ft lbs and requires a special wrench. How does one get around the special wrench problem and still get it tight enough? Anyone try a oil filter strap wrench? I doubt I can get it that tight though. It looks to me like one could build the wrench to turn the collar but hitting that torque reading is pretty much just a guess. That is tight. I have the teflon o-rings on order and don't want to muck this up.
    If all goes according to plan I may be ready to fire this mother up this weekend, of course things never go according to plan.
    Thanks, you guys have been a great help so far.
    91 SC 5sp

i've always use a large pipe wrench on mine and just went pretty tight with it...never broke anything and it never leaked either

only problem was that the pipe wrench can tear up the collar grooves a bit so be careful

here is the special tool:
    http://supercoupeperformance.com/par...aspx?partId=94

State your location and one of the local guys with the wrench may stop by or lend you one.
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

This is the collar on the blower top? I cant even imagine how one of the cheesy hook shaped collar wrenches could hold that much torque.

When I didn't have the wrench I've use a strap wrench and even a screw diver and mallet in a pinch, I'm certain I've never gotten anywhere near 150ft/lbs.

Get it a tight as you can with the strap wrench as use a little sensor safe red rtv, you'll be fine.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

I usually use a really big pair of channel locks, and I wrap a couple shop rags around the collar to prevent the channel locks from chewing up the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by SCrazy View Post
    This is the collar on the blower top? I cant even imagine how one of the cheesy hook shaped collar wrenches could hold that much torque.
    Ive seen those cheesy wrenches, they dont work very well - but they do have a 3/8 drive that you could put a torque wrench on.

I use a professional Spanner wrench tool, it holds the teeth on the collar much better than the cheap knockoffs - usually I tighten it by hand with the correct tool, then hit it with a wooden mallet to get it nice and tight.

I have a few of these in varying sizes .. the black one is used on the SC, its a 4.5" - 6.25" span

- Dan
    Last edited by Ddubb; 01-15-2013 at 04:07 PM.

I am in Lincoln, Nebraska. If someone has one they will loan me for a short time I would appreciate it. Willing to place a deposit on it. email is lonn1950@gmail.com

Talking It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddubb View Post
    Ive seen those cheesy wrenches, they dont work very well - but they do have a 3/8 drive that you could put a torque wrench on.

I use a professional Spanner wrench tool, it holds the teeth on the collar much better than the cheap knockoffs - usually I tighten it by hand with the correct tool, then hit it with a wooden mallet to get it nice and tight.

I have a few of these in varying sizes .. the black one is used on the SC, its a 4.5" - 6.25" span

- Dan
    I use one of those as well. I wrap the collar nut with a rag and us a hammer to knock the nut loose. To tighten... Well let me explain. I weigh a whopping 125. I have a son who weighs 175. I lay across the engine and pull until I start moving. Then He hangs onto me and tries to keep me still. When we can no longer pull any harder its tight.

We must look pretty funny but it works. So if you weigh about 250 you should be able to do it on your own. My nut has a few nicks from before I perfected the technique.

OH Ya. I have grown to like the teflon gaskets but a thin coat of silicon also works.
    90 5 speed. Owned since 4-91 it had 12,000 mi. Motor out since '99. I'm gonna fix it, really. Hoping for 450+ HP
    95 auto. owned since 03. Now a Daily driver the motor is in. It continues with electrical gremlins. I think in the PCM harness. Will be a daily driver. Expect 300 to 350 HP

Quote Originally Posted by lfiers889 View Post
    I am in Lincoln, Nebraska. If someone has one they will loan me for a short time I would appreciate it. Willing to place a deposit on it. email is lonn1950@gmail.com
    I will be in council bluffs this weekend. If you can meet me at McMullen Ford you can have it for a week or so. Take it back to McMullen Ford when you are done or mail it back to me.

When?

What day and time? I am off Friday thru Monday. My cell is 402-304-3365 in case you have any last minute change of plans. I will be wearing a camo field jacket. I should have it running this weekend assuming no major problems arise. Question: I see on your member profile you used a Mk VIII driveshaft, does that require modification or is it bolt up?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lfiers889 View Post
    What day and time? I am off Friday thru Monday. My cell is 402-304-3365 in case you have any last minute change of plans. I will be wearing a camo field jacket. I should have it running this weekend assuming no major problems arise. Question: I see on your member profile you used a Mk VIII driveshaft, does that require modification or is it bolt up?
    Thanks.
    I will get there around 11 on Saturday. I can drop the wrench off there and tell you who to pick it up from.

The driveshaft was shortened for my 5spd. Shop in Omaha did it for me. It was about 10 years ago now.

My nut has a few nicks from before I perfected the technique.
    Thats funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofPrey97 View Post
    I will get there around 11 on Saturday. I can drop the wrench off there and tell you who to pick it up from.

The driveshaft was shortened for my 5spd. Shop in Omaha did it for me. It was about 10 years ago now.
    I plan on being there. Thanks again.

Super charger outlet collar wrench

I've always taken a small hardwood block and tapped it tight with a hammer. make sure the threads are clean and have a small amount of oil on them. I never had a leak problem using this method. No gouges or scratches on the nut.

I tried reaching you at the number above, but didn't get an answer. If you still need the wrench let me know.