Super charger outlet collar wrench?

lfiers889

I see the outlet collar is supposed to be tightened to 148 ft lbs and requires a special wrench. How does one get around the special wrench problem and still get it tight enough? Anyone try a oil filter strap wrench? I doubt I can get it that tight though. It looks to me like one could build the wrench to turn the collar but hitting that torque reading is pretty much just a guess. That is tight. I have the teflon o-rings on order and don't want to muck this up.
If all goes according to plan I may be ready to fire this mother up this weekend, of course things never go according to plan.
Thanks, you guys have been a great help so far.
91 SC 5sp

This is the collar on the blower top? I cant even imagine how one of the cheesy hook shaped collar wrenches could hold that much torque.

When I didn't have the wrench I've use a strap wrench and even a screw diver and mallet in a pinch, I'm certain I've never gotten anywhere near 150ft/lbs.

Get it a tight as you can with the strap wrench as use a little sensor safe red rtv, you'll be fine.

I usually use a really big pair of channel locks, and I wrap a couple shop rags around the collar to prevent the channel locks from chewing up the aluminum.

This is the collar on the blower top? I cant even imagine how one of the cheesy hook shaped collar wrenches could hold that much torque.

Ive seen those cheesy wrenches, they dont work very well - but they do have a 3/8 drive that you could put a torque wrench on.

I use a professional Spanner wrench tool, it holds the teeth on the collar much better than the cheap knockoffs - usually I tighten it by hand with the correct tool, then hit it with a wooden mallet to get it nice and tight.

I have a few of these in varying sizes .. the black one is used on the SC, its a 4.5" - 6.25" span

spanner_zps9a4cef10.jpg

- Dan

Last edited:
It works.

Ive seen those cheesy wrenches, they dont work very well - but they do have a 3/8 drive that you could put a torque wrench on.

I use a professional Spanner wrench tool, it holds the teeth on the collar much better than the cheap knockoffs - usually I tighten it by hand with the correct tool, then hit it with a wooden mallet to get it nice and tight.

I have a few of these in varying sizes .. the black one is used on the SC, its a 4.5" - 6.25" span

spanner_zps9a4cef10.jpg

- Dan
I use one of those as well. I wrap the collar nut with a rag and us a hammer to knock the nut loose. To tighten... Well let me explain. I weigh a whopping 125. I have a son who weighs 175. I lay across the engine and pull until I start moving. Then He hangs onto me and tries to keep me still. When we can no longer pull any harder its tight.

We must look pretty funny but it works. So if you weigh about 250 you should be able to do it on your own. My nut has a few nicks from before I perfected the technique.:rolleyes:

OH Ya. I have grown to like the teflon gaskets but a thin coat of silicon also works.

I am in Lincoln, Nebraska. If someone has one they will loan me for a short time I would appreciate it. Willing to place a deposit on it. email is lonn1950@gmail.com

I will be in council bluffs this weekend. If you can meet me at McMullen Ford you can have it for a week or so. Take it back to McMullen Ford when you are done or mail it back to me.

When?

What day and time? I am off Friday thru Monday. My cell is 402-304-3365 in case you have any last minute change of plans. I will be wearing a camo field jacket. I should have it running this weekend assuming no major problems arise. Question: I see on your member profile you used a Mk VIII driveshaft, does that require modification or is it bolt up?
Thanks.

What day and time? I am off Friday thru Monday. My cell is 402-304-3365 in case you have any last minute change of plans. I will be wearing a camo field jacket. I should have it running this weekend assuming no major problems arise. Question: I see on your member profile you used a Mk VIII driveshaft, does that require modification or is it bolt up?
Thanks.

I will get there around 11 on Saturday. I can drop the wrench off there and tell you who to pick it up from.

The driveshaft was shortened for my 5spd. Shop in Omaha did it for me. It was about 10 years ago now.

Super charger outlet collar wrench

I've always taken a small hardwood block and tapped it tight with a hammer. make sure the threads are clean and have a small amount of oil on them. I never had a leak problem using this method. No gouges or scratches on the nut.

I tried reaching you at the number above, but didn't get an answer. If you still need the wrench let me know.

I have found you can't trust cell phones. I was there so that's just how it goes some days. Tapped the collar tight and hope that does it. Have some issues now with some add on security system hanging under the dash but am working it out. It has disabled my fuel pump and starter solenoid. Hot wired the fuel pump and jumped the solenoid and it started. Then shut it off and will work thru the system to get it working like it should. Nice to know it will run though.
Thanks for the help from everyone. I really appreciate the prompt answers to questions.

1952 M38 Willys
1952 M35 Studebaker 2 1/2 ton
1954 M54 International 5 ton Bridge Truck
1963 M37 Dodge 3/4 ton
1971 SL175 Honda
1991 SC 5sp
1997 Ural w sidecar
2001 Super Duty 7.3 6sp

Back