Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Fan thermostat w/relay kit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mesquite Tx
    Posts
    173

    Fan thermostat w/relay kit

    My radiator fan does not come on at temperature, and the wiring is all messed up. I don't feel like dealing with the problem so am just gonna install a thermostat fan relay with switch. In these kits it comes with a thermostat that screws into the engine somewhere to allow the fan to come on at temp. Where is the best place to screw or mount this thermostat?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern (nee Western) PA
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezid View Post
    My radiator fan does not come on at temperature, and the wiring is all messed up. I don't feel like dealing with the problem so am just gonna install a thermostat fan relay with switch. In these kits it comes with a thermostat that screws into the engine somewhere to allow the fan to come on at temp. Where is the best place to screw or mount this thermostat?
    You can buy a T-fitting to put into the upper radiator hose.

    I would recommend fixing the wiring and testing the IRCM. The factory 2-speed fan is a good system.
    God bless!!!

    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~205,000 miles (and climbing) ... driven daily!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mesquite Tx
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    You can buy a T-fitting to put into the upper radiator hose.

    I would recommend fixing the wiring and testing the IRCM. The factory 2-speed fan is a good system.
    I don't think the fan is factory, plus I think I will be easiest to go this way. Thanks for the info!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,886
    Most of those fan relay kits, come with a temp probe you jam into the fins of the radiator.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

    My Garage

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mesquite Tx
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Most of those fan relay kits, come with a temp probe you jam into the fins of the radiator.

    David
    It comes with some sort of bung that the temp sensor screws into. I don't see how you can jam it into the radiator fins?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    2,151
    They come both ways - radiator probe, or water jacket sensor.

    Do you have the EATC? Do you need the cold engine lockout? If "No" to either, then there's the bung or sensor for that which you can pull, leave the CELO wire disconnected, and use that hole for the radiator fan controller.

    RwP

Similar Threads

  1. Rounded Fan Clutch Nut
    By RoundHead in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM
  2. Cooling Fan Motor Trouble.. Help....
    By BArtkowsky in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
  3. Cooling fan turning on late
    By kenshi in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •