Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOHC swap

Maf

Yes, i am gonna put the tr3650 in it thats bolted to it. Im having a shifter relocation bracket fabbed up. Thats really the only major component to hold up this project. I picked up the 03-04 cobra manifolds today so they will clear the steering shaft. The kooks for the Mark viii are like 850.00 so this was a much cheaper alternative and they are good up to 600 hp.
    I plan on starting this in FEB. Ill start a thread when i start.

Wouldn't an M5R2 bolt up and be less hassle? Then you could sell this trans and pocket some money.
    Scott Long
    1992 SC 5-speed
    Black on black leather, lowered, 18x9 Chrome Saleens...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Long View Post
    Wouldn't an M5R2 bolt up and be less hassle? Then you could sell this trans and pocket some money.
    No, he needs a 4.6L bellhousing, they are different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

m5r2

i think the only way to do that would be to buy one out of an early 2000's f-150 and take all my internals and tail housing and put them in the f-150 trans case. That is a lot more work than its worth being that the torque rating on the m5r2 is about 330 ftlb and this is rated at like 370.

Thanks
    Lee

Oh ok I thought they bolted up.

The M5R2 may only be rated to 370 but they take more than that. Mine is gonna give it a run for its money.

I thought the 4R70W that the SC used would be the same as the 4R70W that the 4.6L birds and marks used. Must not be. I know the M5R2 will bolt up to a 5.0L so the 4.6L is entirely different.

Well in that case if you can make it work that will be good.
    Scott Long
    1992 SC 5-speed
    Black on black leather, lowered, 18x9 Chrome Saleens...

run a ford 80mm mafs wich is for the ford 4.6 dohc engines and for the record a "tuned mafs" is a myth/joke, its all what the computer tell the car to run the injectors at, as "sample tube/cali mafs" tricks the ecu by leaning or riching the mix which is a ghetto rigged way of doing it....You acn run any size injector you want solong as the ecu is tuned for it, will it help? no but not like itle hurt so the 30's are ok plus good if you add bolt ons or something down the road...

also if you use a 4r70w trans you need a 98 or newer because the dohc will destroy the older styles internals fast,unless you Jmod and change an accuator or two(which ones i forget) and you will need a mark8 flexplate too unless you adapt a T5 or somehow rig another style tarns taht id be unfamiliar with...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Long View Post

I thought the 4R70W that the SC used would be the same as the 4R70W that the 4.6L birds and marks used. Must not be. I know the M5R2 will bolt up to a 5.0L so the 4.6L is entirely different.

Well in that case if you can make it work that will be good.
    The bell housing is different on the modular v8's than the early 5.0 and 3.8. They made 4r70w transmissions with both style bell housings.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenBird View Post
    also if you use a 4r70w trans you need a 98 or newer because the dohc will destroy the older styles internals fast,unless you Jmod and change an accuator or two(which ones i forget) and you will need a mark8 flexplate too unless you adapt a T5 or somehow rig another style tarns taht id be unfamiliar with...
    I agree regarding the difference between early and late 4r70w's but I disagree that you would eat up internals quick. Ford put the 4r70w behind the 94/95 SC's, 93 and up mark 8's etc. and those 4r70w's held up pretty darn well. The later models do have better lubrication at the tail shaft but the early ones are far from dogs.