Thread: How do I replace a starter?

How do I replace a starter?

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to change out a starter? I'm going to be putting new one soon and was hoping for a bit of advice or anything I should watch out for.

Also, I'm looking at buying a Haynes or Chilton manuel for my car, any recommendations?

Are you talking about the starter motor, if so then it is pretty straight forward. Just take the old one down and install the new one, takes like 15-30mins.

Just be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable first. There's a always hot cable running to the starter, you don't want to slip with a wrench and watch the sparks fly.

Ha, well that goes without saying Tbird!!! (at least I HOPE, lol)

is it easy to get to? Do I have to remove anything before I can pull it off?

Very easy. Its helps to remove the passenger side wheel. Be sure to support the car fully with a jackstand on that side; don't rely solely on a jack. Also unhook the neg batt cable and then on the starter, remove the spade connector, the nut holding the cable on, then the 2 bolts holding the starter to the engine and its off.