Supercharger Swap versus S-Porting and other ideas for Performance gains

c101guy

With respect to any performance gains:

I've read about the refinements to the later model superchargers (versus the earlier models) and how they helped with performance gains - Can a 94-95 Supercharger be directly swapped into a 90 SC, or are there necessary modifications to make it fit and realize any performance gains? Is there enough of a performance benefit to justify the swap?

Would it be better to have the existing 90 supercharger S-ported rather than swap in the later model supercharger?

My current car (90 SC, 5spd) is basically stock and is still my daily driver (I love my SC). I'm looking to increase the performance within reason and on a budget. I'm not looking to create a monster, just a nice sleeper.

Other suggestions for performance gains are also welcome.

Thanks (in advance) for any insight.

The late model sc is actually pretty decent. Yes it can just swap right on however you also need a late model sc inlet plenum or you can use the magnum powers inlet plenum for a late model sc. If the inlet plenum you plan on using has an egr fitting and your current vehicle does not have an egr system then you'll also need an egr block off plate if using the late model factory inlet plenum.

With respect to power gains you'll see better gains with an s ported late model sc vs an s ported early style sc. IMO

the early model supercharger is a waste of time. The late model supercharger is a direct bolt on.

I would recommend if you are going to overdrive it, to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump and mass airflow sensor.

Keep your eye open for used parts you can save a ton.

A 100% stock late model will flow better and create less heat than a early model.

Cooler air=more power

I bought my 95 m90 off eBay for $120 something shipped
I bought my 42# injectors used from a member on here for $125
I had my late model ported and fully rebuilt with coated rotors $400
I bought a mp plenum through a group buy for $400
My 255lph fuel pump cost $140 with all necciary hardware.
Picked up a lightning maf off eBay for $80
Also bought a 75mm tb for $150

So $1400 if you buy some stuff used and this is a easy 2 second 1/4 improvement if you can get traction...

You will also need to free up te exhaust and get some sort of a CAI and a place to tune it or buy a program to DIY.

A 5% od sc pulley wouldn't be a bad idea either.I have a fmic and will be running 15% od.

Hopefully this kinda gives you a idea what imo a good budget setup would cost. And there is no end to modifying, once you do one thing you need to upgrade another.

I have all the same stuff as you but I bought 60 lb injectors and just stepped up from a 75mm tb and 76mm maf to an 85mm throttle body, 3.5" intake, and 80mm maf. Got a deal on those parts and couldn't pass it up so before ever installing the 75/76 combo I'm going straight to the 85/80. I just bought a second late model blower but I don't have a 2nd MP inlet. I will put that blower and 75/76 setup on my other SC.

Back