My 1991 SC/Motor Mounts

Rick_Leuce

Hi all,

I've had my white 1991 Thunderbird SC 5-spd for 2 months now and I've been working on it to be my daily driver.

One of the several obstacles I face with my SC is that the engine mounts are worn and need replacing.

I do have a "Haynes 89-90 T-Bird & Cougar Auto Repair Manual" that has a small section on engine mount replacing but I was wondering if anyone had some tips or intructions that could help me. All suggestions welcome;)

Thanks,

-RL

A 24 pack of your favorite alcoholic beverage. So that when you're done, you can blot out the pain of the job :D

I found it much easier with the rack out myself, but I have the 5.0HO, not a 3.8SC. YMMV.

Oh - while you're down there, take a GOOD look at the hydraulic hoses for the power steering. Now's a good time to get those also.

RwP

It certainly is an undertaking. There are a few great posts on here on how to do this job. Just search it out. I suggest you do them quickly. The biggest concern with worn engine mounts is that the oil pan begins to rest on the engine cradle. When this happens the cradle and steel fittings on the power steering hoses begin to wear through the oil pan. When that happens you will be forced to remove the engine to replace the oil pan. If you live in a warmer climate or have access to a heated garage and have never done this job before I suggest to give it a weekend. If you live in a cold climate and have no garage access then wait till spring.

I have done these a number of times and have never removed the rack and pinion. The hardest part is removing the large aluminum accessory brackets and intercooler plumbing. Once that is done it isn't all that bad.

A 24 pack of your favorite alcoholic beverage. So that when you're done, you can blot out the pain of the job :D

I found it much easier with the rack out myself, but I have the 5.0HO, not a 3.8SC. YMMV.

Oh - while you're down there, take a GOOD look at the hydraulic hoses for the power steering. Now's a good time to get those also.

RwP

Good idea...about checking on the hydraulic hoses (can't drink yet:eek:)

While the supercharger and alternator are removed, I think I'll go ahead and replace the 3 drivers-side spark plugs.

Thanks,

-RL

It certainly is an undertaking. There are a few great posts on here on how to do this job. Just search it out. I suggest you do them quickly. The biggest concern with worn engine mounts is that the oil pan begins to rest on the engine cradle. When this happens the cradle and steel fittings on the power steering hoses begin to wear through the oil pan. When that happens you will be forced to remove the engine to replace the oil pan. If you live in a warmer climate or have access to a heated garage and have never done this job before I suggest to give it a weekend. If you live in a cold climate and have no garage access then wait till spring.

I have done these a number of times and have never removed the rack and pinion. The hardest part is removing the large aluminum accessory brackets and intercooler plumbing. Once that is done it isn't all that bad.

I hope the pan hasn't rubbed against the cradle too much, its been driven down a couple gravel roads. The engine feels easy to push around but at least one of the two mounts doesn't look too bad (but we'll replace it anyways)

Just did mine not long ago...

Here is a pic of the mounts with all the accessories
removed around the engine...

A pic after done n painted some stuff

Tom

Last edited:
We were discussing this in another post recently...why not spend less than fifty bucks, and purchase the Shop Manual and the Electrical And Vacuum Trouble Shooting Manual for your year? I got these off eBay, in great shape, for quite a bit less than 50, shipped. There are quite a few on there right now.

I had a Haynes and it was useless for many things. The OEM manuals are the way to go. If you're going to keep the car for a while, I'd get them.

Alan

Well, after a few hours of removing the alternator, the power steering thingy, both supercharger tubes, etc... I was finally able to replace the drivers-side engine mount (and the 3 drivers-side spark plugs while they were convenient)

Thankfully, it doesn't look like my oil pan or power steering hoses are damaged so I should be in the clear. I still need to do the passenger-side motor mount but at least all six of my spark plugs are finally changed:D

I think I'll try to clean up some of grease in my engine before I put everything back, it was pretty dirty down there:eek:

I'll definately check out some of the other posts and I'll probably want to buy a Ford or Chilton's Auto Repair Manual for my year SC.

Thanks for the tips,

-RL

Back