• Like the wheels

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Like the hood pins with the lanyard

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Like it all, but it needs more

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Don't customize it, restore the car back to original

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • You're not seriously putting this stuff on your SC right?

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Rick_Leuce

Hi all,

Here is a list of things I was planning on installing on my 1991 SC:

I have a fiberglass hood with nasa scoops for the Thunderbird SC. I thought about painting it like the 1971-1973 Mach 1 hoods to give it a retro look.

I don't know if it's possible, but I would like to make my decklid reflectors function as tail lights and as sequential turn signals (retro to the 1964 Thunderbird) If I ever do, then I would put a 1964 Thunderbird badge on my hood.

Instead of buying 1991 SC wheels for my Thunderbird, I bought a set of 1997 30th anniversary Cougar wheels (I thought they looked cooler)

It might be a bit much, but I thought the hood pins would look cooler with lanyards (to look a bit like the ones Shelby Mustangs had)

Let me know what you think :cool:

-RL

Last edited:
Well..

The cougar rims are interesting. Unsure how that would look

Hood pin with lanyard sure, the painting of the hood sounds interesting. Id try a satin 3m wrap instead of paint. They make a special tape with wire that will allow you to make it whatever shape you like. The EMblems..NAHHHH.

As far as decklid reflectors 93 and up are lighted. And someone has in the past added LED inside the lenses and made them sequential. Key is to make it look good

Well..

The cougar rims are interesting. Unsure how that would look

Hood pin with lanyard sure, the painting of the hood sounds interesting. Id try a satin 3m wrap instead of paint. They make a special tape with wire that will allow you to make it whatever shape you like. The EMblems..NAHHHH.

Thanks for the feedback.

I figured I had nothing to lose when I paint my fiberglass hood because I have a factory one also (that I'll leave alone) My factory hood has the correct emblem on the front but my aftermarket fiberglass one doesn't have any emblems on it. I probably won't put a 1964 Thunderbird badge on it but I might put something on like the "F-O-R-D" letters that went on the hoods of some classics.

I'll look around and see if I can find the things to make my 1991 lenses sequential. If not sequential, then at least I'd want them to light up when I apply the brakes.

I'm open to suggestions or examples of things that people have done to customize their SC's. I don't want to do anything too big or expensive but I want to make my car a bit of a head-turner.

I removed my rear differential (for a manual) a couple days ago and just inserted a replacement differential today (for an automatic)

Just got back from a test drive and it was AWESOME! :D

The gearing is very different from what it was. Its nice to not have to shift so often when going between 35-50 MPH on hilly country roads.

I like the hood idea. I also like just painting or vinyl the inlets to the vents.. I think the wheels are too flat though, but if you put 255/50/16's on them they might look ok.

Lanyards are cool on the hood pins. I've lost hood pins so the lanyards are helpful to prevent that.

I had the lanyards on mine, but after a few months I noticed a couple places were the lanyard movement when driving, was messing up the paint so I removed them.

attachment.php

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75832&highlight=Hood+pin+cable

David

I had the lanyards on mine, but after a few months I noticed a couple places were the lanyard movement when driving, was messing up the paint so I removed them.

David

Good point,

People with Mustangs are always talking about removing their lanyards once it started to rub through the clear coat and/or paint.

I like the look of it, but I might only put the lanyards on right before a car show to reduce wear.

I'm about to have my car repainted (Oxford White) and I really wouldn't want to wear through the paint prematurely.

I'm about to have my car repainted (Oxford White) and I really wouldn't want to wear through the paint prematurely.

Yes...after repainting my 91 the same color, is when I removed the lanyards.

David

I think the wheels are too flat though, but if you put 255/50/16's on them they might look ok.

I really like the Cougar wheels (especially since they're 30th anniversary edition) but I'd probably buy a set of 1991 Thunderbird wheels (if the price is right) just so that I'd have the right set for my car.

Back