Thread: Can I use a 89 block in a 94?

Can I use a 89 block in a 94?

The reason I ask is cause I have been completely through my motor and I can for the most part count on it starting every time with my 89, however I have a chance to grab a 94 5spd for 600 bucks trans is locked and the engine has unknown wear and abuse from the seller. Can I swap my block into it with the newer blower and so on?

Quote Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
    The reason I ask is cause I have been completely through my motor and I can for the most part count on it starting every time with my 89, however I have a chance to grab a 94 5spd for 600 bucks trans is locked and the engine has unknown wear and abuse from the seller. Can I swap my block into it with the newer blower and so on?
    If you are wanting to transplant your 89 motor into the 94 this is what you'll need to do. You'll need to use the timing cover and oil pan from the 94 on your 89 motor. I would also recommend using the 94 exhaust manifolds as they are more efficient.

I didn't know the oil pans we different. What are the differences?
    SCCoA Member#: 847
    Jacob Royer Fan Club Member #: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Sunday View Post
    I didn't know the oil pans we different. What are the differences?
    The early model has the sensor for the low oil level and the later 94+ do not. It will physically bolt up but why have a pan with a low oil sensor in it and another place for oil to possibly leak if you don't need it. You definitely have to switch back if using a later block in an early model otherwise your VMM will continuously read low oil.

along with timing cover you'll need to reuse your later model harmonic balancer as well for the same reason.

chris

But the ecm will work with the older block, this was my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by renello79 View Post
    But the ecm will work with the older block, this was my biggest concern.
    Yes but the knock sensor is different on the late model so you will need to swap that out.

What are you going to drive in the meantime? I would keep what you have and buy the 94 and fix it.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Egr

Some models had EGR and some didn't. You'll need to use the EGR set up that is in the year car that is home for the motor. That is another reason to use the manifold from the 94 in the 94. That way the EGR from the 94 (or lack there of) will fit the manifold. Use the 94 infectors, MAF, TB, intake plenum, and blower as well. That way all will be matched to the PCM in the 94.
    Did the 94 have an AOD or 4D70(*) transmission. I think there is a difference in the transmissions between 94 and 95. For sure you cannot use a 93 or earlier transmission in a 95. Likely not the the 94 as well.
    If you are going to have fix the tranny why not just keep the motor in it and see what happens. I'ld say go for it if the tranny fits. But if the body of your current car is good, and the motor is good, keep it together. Beside that you don't know what else is good or bad with the new car.
    *forgive me if I have the numbers wrong.

Just put the timing cover balancer and crank sensor off the 94 the 94 accesories like the egr etc. the major difference in the two is the timing cover use the the kiss method and keep it simple lol
    member #2488
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152