Car Trailer

Psssh. Custom-built for the application for the win. :p

After having a few trailers over the years, the old guy and I knew what we liked and what we wanted in a trailer. We started cutting on one of our trailers, and ended up changing/replacing a good portion of it. These are the same things you might want to look at on a trailer before buying. Steel decks are way less hassle than wood decks. The fender height was set so that the doors will clear when the car is strapped down. The extra long ramps load from the rear and flip over into place for loading/unloading, so that you don't have to bother carrying them. Electric brakes were installed on both axles, and I made up a wiring harness (most trailer manufacturers really do a crappy job on the wiring, so look it over). The jack was placed so that it was clear of the tow vehicle's tailgate when down. Axle placement and tongue length were chosen for the best weight distribution/ride quality. The orange side clearance/turn signal lights were frenched into the fenders to reduce the likelihood of the lenses getting busted. The trailer was painted silver so that it wouldn't be sizzling hot in the sun like the usual black trailers. I still need to mount the winch/box on the front...I've been busy on other projects. There's always more we could've done, but this was "on the cheap".

I would agree that custom building a trailer wins. I used cool little 3/4" LEDs for clearance lights, added some in the very rear to blink with the rear LED lights so drivers on the passenger side could see them, tool boxes built into the tongue, I like wood decks for less sliding around, easy to replace. I do agree with silver paint for same reasons. Added reflective tape all along the sides. Winch box in the front covers the winch and is lockable. You can customize a trailer just like a car. Lots of cool stuff. Even installed an air compressor in the tongue. I also build a couple of 3' alum ramps that the bed locks down on to get the best angle for loading a low SC. I dont scrap my behind when loading:D

All the pictures and talk of trailers on here are for the little sissy bumper pull trailers.

Had birds on 16,18 and 20 ft trailers. The 18 was a bit short, but the 20 was a bit long in my taste, but after hauling heavier equipment for a while went with the 20ft.

The next will be a low boy with a gooseneck. Some of us have pick ups and some of us drive trucks. :p

Ken could you build an SC specific low deck height trailer?

I built mine specificly for my SC. I used torsion axles to get the deck down as low as possible. Unfortuniately that puts tire height higher and the door swinging out over the tire to get out, hits. I have, up to this point used blocks that are positioned under the drivers side rear tire to allow the door, when opened to clear the tires. I have a small air bag and plan to install it with a lift platform under that tire. I have an air compressor in the tongue of the trailer so it would just require a 12 V remote to activate it. Anyway I made it with easy of loading and unloading in mind and it does it perfectly, even though its a sissy bumper pull:rolleyes: Theres not any profit to be made building trailers for someone else. Trailer shops have jigs and pre cut material and buy in bulk materials so building a nice trailer is not cheap for the average guy, its time consuming and just going through all the hoops to get a title for a home built trailer in my state wasnt fun. I use it maybe 5 to 7 times a year so its really handy. A cord just plugs into the back of the truck runs the tilt, winch, compressor. Might have to build in a refrigerator for cool drinks next:D If I was to buy a trailer I would consider the LED lights as they are really bright and a great upgrade

Ken

It's just a trailer...just some metal and some tabs welded with your Hobart MIG. Put some wheels on it. It's not hard to do probably :)

I agree that the custom trailers are nice but I need to be able to haul more than just my car lol. Personally the 22ft trailer I am buying will haul my car+ all my tools, generator, air compressor etc so you could deal with roadside or far away breakdowns and I can also haul my truck, tractor, mowers, race quad or throw sides on it and move cargo with ease. Also don't really have the room for more than one trailer I already need to add another bay on to my garage so I can park all my vehicles inside. Todd a goosneck def pulls better but with my tiny 5.5 ft bed on my supercrew I can't use one without breaking the bank lol.

When I need a trailer I rent a U-Haul because I am a poor boy and can not afford one... :eek: May not be pretty and sure ain't fast. Was a little effort to convince them the XR7 was within the weight limit. But it much less expensive than a tow would be.

AutoTransportLarge.png

:eek: :) :cool: :D :p

go big or go home

Some of you have seen my enclosed trailer. That is the only way to fly in my book. Your car is safe while you travel, out of the weather when it comes, and works great for a meeting place when the weather is not good outside. You can bring anything along you want, add air conditionning for those hot days at the track. Never have to worry if your car is too low and loading it is simple, just drop the rear door.
Now keep in mind, you will need a real truck to pull it and fuel mileage is not great. but everything is indoors ,safe, and you don't have to tie some things down.
That is how I roll and the trailer is 26' with "L"" shapped cabinets done in stainless to add to the fun. I even have a frige built in to keep the drinks cold. With a winch built in to the front you never have to worry about loading up something that is broke.....
This is the best of all worlds and if you want it does make a nice place to crash if you get tired, or thrown out of the house.....lol....Rich

the best way to go.

I was gonna make a joke about getting kicked out by the wife but you beat me to it.

I have been on some long hauls already and it sure works out good rather than getting a hotel for a few hours. Sure you don't have a bathroom, but with heat and air you can be very nice. lay down an air pad and crash for a few hours in the truck stop or way side and you are good to go.
Now if she does throw you out then you will have to come up with better rest rooms to use...lol...
I just think it is the only way to go. Now whit this said there is a few things you MUST have. The most important one is a door on the drivers side so you can open the car door when you are loading. Next thing are lights, lots of them both 12 V as well as 110. Tie downs are also a must, you have to put them in the right places. Mark your car on the driveway and lay out your straps so you can find the correct locations for them. Last thing on the must have is winch mounts. I put it inside one of the cabinets in the center of the trailer. Also make sure you get a place in the front of the trailer for a spare tire to go. There is nothing worse than a flat and no tire to change..
Take some time and plan out what you want and you will have a great time. Take a trip to Elk Cart In. that is where most of the trailers are made. Get a tour of some places and ask questions. It will be well worth your time.....Rich

Atrailer the size of yours comes with a 60000 dollar truck that gets 10 mpg too Rich lol........ Maybe one of these days I will be done spending money on my car so I can afford to buy it its own mobile home lol. There is no doubt thats the only way to role if you can afford too.

Back