Extrude Honing

This id like to see. Money well spent especially compared to the extrude hone process....What about a TB restriction? Need a 95?

This id like to see. Money well spent especially compared to the extrude hone process....What about a TB restriction? Need a 95?
That's the word and a 4"cai I'm also having the case coated on the mpx because I'm running 30% od. I've got stiffer idler springs and I am going to a 76mm idler from a 70 on the small one with a custom 10 rib idler pulley to help prevent belt slip. We will see what happens nothing is set in stone yet.

for the record.

Swaintech coatigs can help with that. I had that done. And you want smooth as you arent worried about fuel atomization. When they tell you a few hundred to extrude hone your inlet
That's why in winter time I watched a few movies while hand sanding and polishing.

I know it's late but to 90sc35ann. A dimpled golf ball likely flies slow than a smooth golfball. The dimpled golf ball is actually flying. It flies further because it rotates posterior creating high pressure at the front lower edges and decreases the pressure over the top of the ball.

I will agree that bumps and rough areas will create better flow in irregular shapes like a port. That comes from the effect of steering the air. In a straight tube smooth creates more velocity.

That's why in winter time I watched a few movies while hand sanding and polishing.

I know it's late but to 90sc35ann. A dimpled golf ball likely flies slow than a smooth golfball. The dimpled golf ball is actually flying. It flies further because it rotates posterior creating high pressure at the front lower edges and decreases the pressure over the top of the ball.

I will agree that bumps and rough areas will create better flow in irregular shapes like a port. That comes from the effect of steering the air. In a straight tube smooth creates more velocity.

You are correct on why the ball creates lift but........... Let's examine Bernoulli's law. As velocity increases pressure decreases. Or you could say as pressure decreases velocity increases. It's the pressure drop that allows for lift and this pressure drop is made possible by the increase in velocity and the air gap that is created around the dimples of the golf ball. The dimples cause the ball to rotate or tumble. The same holds true for ports. In this example it is the air that is moving and the surface of the port that is stationary but that same air gap is created over a slightly rough surface thus increasing the velocity of flow. So you could say the air is traveling over a very thin bead or film of air which has much less drag than the mirrored aluminum finish. When I say rough, I am talking like an 80 grit finish. Still this is pretty damn smooth to the touch but is is rougher than a mirror finish. It's this mirror finish that slows the air down for the same reason it collects fuel. You might not see the air collecting along the sides of the port like you would fuel but air behaves just like a fluid will when it comes to fluid dynamics (path of least resistance, etc.). The air molecules collect along the side of the mirror finish whereas the air gap or film of air on an 80 grit finish prevents the air molecules from collecting along the sides of the surface due to the air gap that is created.

So I would say ideally you should follow up extrude honing with some bead blasting or sanding with 80 grit to give the surface a finish that would allow the air gap to be present. .

I also wasn't referring to tubes , etc. air will move faster through a straight tube for sure when compared to an irregular conduit like a cylinder head port but we were discussing surface finish not port design. That is an entirely different conversation.

Last edited:
Makes sence to me but my inlet is def going golf ball and there is only a short bend in the return so I may lightly sand the upper and lower portion of the bend when I remove the stock flange to weld on the piece for the fmic and while I'm at it I wil work the inside of that piece with a flap wheel

From what I've read, the biggest issue with the current MPX inlet plenum is the lack of volume, not flow. That's why I don't think much will be accomplished with extrude honing.

David

Back