need a tire size recommendation

coggonobrien

What tire size should I get for a 95 sc with stock rims, looking to go wider but don't want to go shorter than stock.

David

What tire size should I get for a 95 sc with stock rims, looking to go wider but don't want to go shorter than stock.

David

Just so you know, in order to go wider you have to go shorter.
225/60r16. The 60 is 60% of the 225.
If that helps any?

On other cars I've always gone with 17's or 18's and gone with a 225/55r17 (not a low profile but wider and more of a touring tire) when you go to 18's to keep the same overall rolling diameter you get into a low profile tire.

Here's a link you can play around with, it should help out quite a bit.
Tire Size Calculator

Steve

How much wider are you looking to go? Not much out there in big 16" tires these days. Toyo used to offer a 245/55R16 up until a few years back, but it is gone now, and I'm not aware of anyone else offering that size. It was a near perfect match for stock diameter.

235/60R16 will be about 1/2" taller (which clears fine), and 1/2" wider. 255/50R16 will be just over an inch wider, depending on what model of tire you choose, but is also roughly 1/2" shorter than stock. A bit squeezed on 7" wheels, but they fit.

cheers
Ed

i was think around a 245/255 but after i posted started playing on the internet and didn't find anything. guess my best bet is to use the stock rims for winter and eventually get some 17 or 18 x 9.

Thanks!
David

I get Falken 255/50/ZR16's from discounttiredirect.com. They were $115 shipped last time I bought a pair. I find them to have a very nice grip and ran them at Road Atlanta with no problems.

I used to run 255 50's on stock rims, and it looked good in back, but poked out a little in front. I personally thought the 245 was a little better fit and would suggest 245 50's. At least in hindsight, that's what I wished I would have used. But that was back in 1998 too.....holy smoke that was a long time ago.

This doesn't help at all, but only pic I could find:

miller3.jpg

I had a pic in the old members pages. Is there still a way to access that? Duh, found it right below my name.:rolleyes: The back wheels obviously.

Front tires were 235 50 17s at 26.3" tall and the rear were bfg radial TA's they sucked in the rain. Car was lowered 1.5".

vining1.jpg

Last edited:
I once had some 245/50/16's on mine but thought they looked too short. There was too big of a gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

Yeah, on stock ride hieght I would agree. But even then the 255's don't look great IMO. You really got a drop these cars a little.

Well i got a deal today that i couldnt pass up, the BFGoodrich tires, 255/50ZR16 tires for 600 mounted and balanced, so the car will finally be getting new tires tomorrow:D

Well i got a deal today that i couldnt pass up, the BFGoodrich tires, 255/50ZR16 tires for 600 mounted and balanced, so the car will finally be getting new tires tomorrow:D

sweet! take some pics from different angles. Also take a low shot from the rear so I can see the foot print of both rear tires under the bumper.

sweet! take some pics from different angles. Also take a low shot from the rear so I can see the foot print of both rear tires under the bumper.

Scott,

Unfortunately its raining today, so pictures will not be a possibility just yet. However they're on there. The people there test-fitted 1 front to see if it would rub because its 3 sizes wider than stock. They handle pretty well in the rain, and are much more comfortable than what was on there. Once the car gets lowered 1.5" it'll look much better.

I already have the springs, need a set of front Tokico shocks to finish it off. I just placed an order for SCP for all the mounts, swaybar links, and spring cups. Now all i need is spring break from school to come and i can do some work!

Back