wondered how much power I should have

bumpskier45

can't seem to get the place that does dyno's to get my car in,was just wondering about how much power I should have. motor is stock,10% od pulley,dual exaust all the way back with x pipe,cold air intake from supercoupe performance,what power and times could i expect to have,and I have a 5 speed by the way.

can't seem to get the place that does dyno's to get my car in,was just wondering about how much power I should have. motor is stock,10% od pulley,dual exaust all the way back with x pipe,cold air intake from supercoupe performance,what power and times could i expect to have,and I have a 5 speed by the way.

If you have a stock Intercooler and a 10% pulley you will generate a lot of heat and the computer will pull a bunch of timing on the top end where you would normally expect to make peak HP. Aso what blower are you running 89-93 or 94-95? The early blower will make even more heat due to it being less efficient

Ken

MM&FF did an article with similar mods with an early model blower and were at about 230 HP. Depending on the vehicle it could be higher or lower. I wouldn't trust any OD on an SC with no intercooler upgrade. The possibility of detonation and having to replace head gaskets is not something you want to mess with.

^Ken makes a good double intercooler and I even saw he had some for sale. Just FYI.

Last edited:
I had a 91 auto with those mods plus an IC fan and it put 191hp to the wheels and ran a 14.9 @ 92mph with street tires

Add Ken's Double IC for sure

Well it is a 1993 and as far as I know original equipment so I would say the less efficent blower.I was under the impression according to all the articles I have read the car came with 220hp bone stock? intercoolers are so expensive I know it needs one I don't want to do to much under the hood look wise,is there an upgrade to what I have that is a bolt on?

raised top wont do much at your power level...and yes you probably have an early blower

as for the horsepower rating it was rated 210hp 315tq but those are bhp. so subtract like 15% drivetrain loss and that is what you are putting to the wheels.

As for the intercooler, Ken Wagner makes a bad ~~~ double intercooler that bolts in to the stock location. it is only double the thickness...people have put around 400hp to the wheels with the Double IC

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129171

Thanks for the information on the intercooler from ken I just posted to the link you put on there,if this thing gives me more power than what I have im excited because I have to tell you even the way my car is now I can't keep the weels on the ground I burn them 1st,2nd,and can chirp them in third. I love these forums you guys are really dedicated for these cars one that I must admit I have grown to love!

If you have a stock Intercooler and a 10% pulley you will generate a lot of heat and the computer will pull a bunch of timing on the top end where you would normally expect to make peak HP. Aso what blower are you running 89-93 or 94-95? The early blower will make even more heat due to it being less efficient

Ken

Just curious, I also have the 10% OD jack shaft pulley and the Marsh under drives. and original intercooler.....Have a front mount intercooler and will have REDLINE PERFORMANCE plumb in once I have da funds. >http://redlineperformance.net/

Also have Super-6 weld'd and ported heads and no-cat x-40 FlowMaster 3" exhaust.
When I Order'd the 10% od pulley, the person there said that with the flow MODS I could use the 10% over the 5% cause the 5% might not improve da boost over da stock flow?

After install'n the pulleys and the JHB harmonic a couple weeks ago, I did notice the boost on the Gage did not show higher in normal drive'n, but boost did come in early'r and grunt and acceleration with a gentle, 5-speed, launch, was def UP!! Have not driv'n enough to see a higher temp on the coolant gage but it might not reflect the boost charge'd temp?...Is there a temp gage for the charger or intake manifold, or the boosted charge? >> and what range should you see?

Last edited:
If you have a good set of heads from super 6 and running a stock intercooler then you aren't realizing the benefits from those cylinder heads. You need to get rid of that intercooler. The ken Wagner double intercooler is a nice upgrade for the bucks but the Magnum Powers front mount kit is absolutely fantastic.

Yes you can get yourself a gauge kit that will indicate intake temperatures pre and post intercooler.

http://www.amazon.com/Intake-Temper...sr=1-7&keywords=intake+air+temperature+sensor

Ideally with those heads you should get a good cam if you haven't done so already, then get a good intercooler.

Oh btw - make sure you have upgraded your fuel system if you haven't done so already.

I was unable to get a hold of ken for the double intercooler,so to help my cause I purchased the fan from supercoupe performance,that will help me out untill I can get the front mount intercooler they have for 1400 bucks. As to gettting the 94-94 blower bill at supercoupe performance offers a rebuild and porting on my current blower that will make it outperform the 94-95 model,for a reasonable price I think I am going to go that route.

by the way on the double intercooler,that would work for someone dragging a car but for a daily driver I fail to see how a double intercooler would be effective,now you have the same amount of air trying to get through twice as much core,shrug not sure if that makes sense.

The IC has two functions, to cool air and to pass air on to the engine. The reason that I suggested a double IC is that its cheap and flows twice as much air as the stock unit.

Your setup is probably being restricted by the limited airflow through the stock unit. I cannot say for sure.

No matter how big everything else is your car only moves as much air as the most restrictive part in the system. More air = More HP.

by the way on the double intercooler,that would work for someone dragging a car but for a daily driver I fail to see how a double intercooler would be effective,now you have the same amount of air trying to get through twice as much core,shrug not sure if that makes sense.
I bigger innercooler will make your car run better all the time. The more heat you remove from the intake air the better the car will run. For example stock these cars are really peppy when you first fire them up but the hotter it is outside the worse they run, that goes for any forced induction engine not just the super coupe. The larger innercooler supports more hp and allows much more cooling my innercooler is 32 x 14 x4 i believe.

I am just starting another IC so I usually have one available in a timely manner. A lot of people have found it to be a worthwhile option to the expensive MP FMIC.

Ken

I was unable to get a hold of ken for the double intercooler,so to help my cause I purchased the fan from supercoupe performance,that will help me out untill I can get the front mount intercooler they have for 1400 bucks. As to gettting the 94-94 blower bill at supercoupe performance offers a rebuild and porting on my current blower that will make it outperform the 94-95 model,for a reasonable price I think I am going to go that route.

I do not believe a ported early model blower will,outflow the stock late model blower. Your best bet would be to get a used late model blower and a MP inlet plenum. Just my .02 worth. I believe Kevin leitem has a 95 sc he is parting out. The blower may be available.

I do not believe a ported early model blower will,outflow the stock late model blower. Your best bet would be to get a used late model blower and a MP inlet plenum. Just my .02 worth. I believe Kevin leitem has a 95 sc he is parting out. The blower may be available.

I would agree with this its not likely you will make an early style blower out perform a later style.

Ken

I would agree with this its not likely you will make an early style blower out perform a later style.

Ken

I agree unless you are talking about using the stock inlet plenums, which both suck. Not being able to use the MP inlet plenum with the early model would be another very important reason to get a late model.

David

Back