just bought a built 90 sc, what power should it make?

thunderchikinsc

Hi guys, I just bought a 90 sc 5spd for 1500$ I've had thunderbirds before but nothing built like this. Was it a good deal and what kind of power do u think it should make?

Griffin Radiator

73mm C&L MAF

70mm BBK Supercoupe TB

10% overdrive pully

ASP Underdrive pulleys

Intercooler Fan w/ temp sensor

Raised Blower top

95 S-Blower

New Jasper engine was bored out .02
Cometic head gaskets with arp hardware

Jacobs wires

48lb injectors

K&N 9" cone filter with ram air box

Upgraded headlight kit. Competition Limited 360 watt kit

Dual Pod Auto Meter Gauges on A-pillar. Air/Fuel Stoich meter, and Boost pressure gauge (Both Auto Meter products) Centerforce Dual Friction clutch newly replaced.

2.73 gears stock changed to 3.73's (still on hand for outright sale) but the car now has 3.27's and they really work well with the setup. Clutch hydrolic slave cylinder replaced and also new hose connecting to trans. Eibach Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 1.5" lowered.

Tokico Illumina II shocks

IRS bushings thru MN12 Performance.

All urethane bushings replaced thru MN12 performance.com KVR Performance Cross Drilled Rotors all 4 (Stock size rotors). Stock calipers.

New e-brake cable. This is a hard part to find anymore. Much searching went into getting hands on a new cable. MN12 Performance Dual exhuast with mandrel bent tubes.

Dynomax mufflers

Magnacore Resonator

Addco Rear Sway Bar 1.5” or 1.75” don’t remember. 245/50/16s. New tires Stock wheels in good condition.

Cervini's Ram Air hood and Cervini's Rear spoiler. Viper Alarm system. Top of the line 4 button system when purchased new ($800)

All that stuff for only $1500 is a great deal. You might need to upgrade to a larger fuel pump and I would highly recommend getting a custom tune with all those mods.

David

Thanks, yea I plan on having it tuned, id just like to hear from you guys with your experience what it should put down with a proper dyno tune session. The previous owner had it for 15 years and really took care of it. He was also a sccoa member. It is in need of a nice set of wheels tho, any ideas?

Wheels

Thanks, yea I plan on having it tuned, id just like to hear from you guys with your experience what it should put down with a proper dyno tune session. The previous owner had it for 15 years and really took care of it. He was also a sccoa member. It is in need of a nice set of wheels tho, any ideas?

Can't go wrong with the Cobra R wheels.:cool:

A double intercooler or a front mount will really wake that up too. With 10% OD the stock intercooler is only going to be able to do so much. Do a search, and talk to Ken. His DIC's rock

That sounds like a very nice car. My motor is simularly built with a mild Cam and DIC. I also have an upgraded full pump. I also am only running a 90 pulley on the 95 blower. I get 15 lbs boost in drive and over drive. The lower gears I only get around 12 or 13. I suspect 325 plus or minus 25 HP at the crank. Likely 275 or so at the wheels. O could be wrong I haven't had it dynoed yet.

I am far from the expert, but I would guess that with a stock intercooler, heads and cam you will come in under 250. Got lots of potential, however. Hope you prove me wrong.

I agree, with the amount of heat that blower will be producing with so much OD on the stock intercooler, the computer will be pulling timing in the upper RPM range, where peak horsepower is made.

Agree with the prev HP estimates. You need at least a DIC. You also didn't mention exhaust. I'm running shorty headers. and larger exhaust. If I had it to do over again I'd consider using ported 94-95 manifolds instead. They would easily support your current mods. That would make spark plug changing easier on this car for which I only have modest performance goals and is a daily driver.

the exhaust that is currently on the car was a 2.5" true dual mandrel bent exhaust kit from mn12 performance. also my boost gauge read around 14 psi of boost at wot. if anyone has any nice wheels let me know. im looking for some.

Show us some pics?

What do u mean by....2.73 gears stock changed to 3.73's (still on hand for outright sale)

Last edited:
most thunderbird sc came with 2.73 gears in the rear. i have 3.73 gears that i put in for awhile but i wasnt impressed with the gearing for highway use so i switched them out for a 3.27 gear set.

I wish I had that kinda money! Unfortunatley I just got all of my intercooler piping and blower ported and the housing paint stripped and polished. I'm also getting the intake manifold done also.

I believe 275 to the rear wheels is a bit optimistic. If this engine has a stock cam, and a stock inlet plenum 225 to the rear wheels seems more realistic. This setup is essentially a beefed up 94/95 engine and they were rated at 230 so you figure maybe 180 to the wheels stock. So with an s port, MAF, and tb you might see 225 to the wheels.

Back