inter cooler fan power

bumpskier45

I just got done installing the fan for my intercooler....which made that last nut on the bottom a big pain to get to. Anyway now it needs power,I would prefer power that comes on when the ignition goes on,not sure what is the closest,I know what one is the easiest,there use to be ill assume a connector for my resivoir,but now there is just a plain old cap for it,but that female end for it has power only when ignition is on,is there something closer that is easy to get at. I don't want to open the wiring harness,and no I don't want to run a switch and use the battery. any idea's?

The power supply for the reservoir should be fine. My personal opinion would be that you use a relay though and use that connection for your trigger wire. I am not sure what kind of juice your fan is gonna require, but I am sure that it is probably more than that circuit can handle safely. Still use a fused wire connected to the battery for the primary power source, a good ground of your own making or use the negative terminal on the battery and like I said use your reservoir wire for the turn on lead.

What year do you have, the under hood fuse box is right there. I added a fuse and relays in spare locations

it is a 1993,yes the fuse box is right there,I would need to have both ways explained to me,I like the idea of using the battery for the power and somehow using the resevoir wiring to control the on and off,however the fuse box is much closer if there is a way to grab power from there where the power still comes on when the ignition does I would prefer that due to it being like about 6 inch's away.

it is a 1993,yes the fuse box is right there,I would need to have both ways explained to me,I like the idea of using the battery for the power and somehow using the resevoir wiring to control the on and off,however the fuse box is much closer if there is a way to grab power from there where the power still comes on when the ignition does I would prefer that due to it being like about 6 inch's away.

This article will tell you where to get battery power and where to get ignition on power to trigger the relay. It will also tell you what terminals on the relay go to what wire. Unfortunately it doesn't include the wiring diagram, because the author of the article supplied a harness with the fan kit.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/fan-kit/fan-kit-89-93sc.htm

David

on this fan there is a blue and black wire,I will assume the black wire is ground and the blue wire is power.In the link it shows the r/lg wire is ignition power,if I splice into that wire with the blue wire from the fan and put the black to a ground source,thats it correct? the fan should come on when the key is turned on?Also the link mentions that there are two wires with r/lg color the one 10 gauge the other 14 I will assume the 10 gauge one is constant power to the box and the 14 gauge one is the one I need to use.

The blue wire needs to go to a relay, you cannot power the fan off of the r/lg wire. The 14 guage r/lg wire will splice into the relay coil, the blue wire will go to the relay contact. the other relay contact will go to the +12v hot at all times megafuse terminal. ground the black wire and the low side of the relay coil.

on this fan there is a blue and black wire,I will assume the black wire is ground and the blue wire is power.In the link it shows the r/lg wire is ignition power,if I splice into that wire with the blue wire from the fan and put the black to a ground source,thats it correct? the fan should come on when the key is turned on?Also the link mentions that there are two wires with r/lg color the one 10 gauge the other 14 I will assume the 10 gauge one is constant power to the box and the 14 gauge one is the one I need to use.

No...here is a wiring diagram. You will need to purchase a 30 amp automotive relay and an inline fuse holder.

attachment.php

David

Last edited:
Sweet diagram David, that should about clear it up. I would put the optional switch on to the trigger side fed from a constant hot to turn the fan ON when I wanted, not off as shown. I can't see many times you would want the fan not to run, but would want to be able to run it to pull the heat soak out of the intercooler at the track between rounds

Adam

Some people who like to squeeze every ounce of power out of their cars, would like for the fan to be off when making the pass down the strip. This is due to the more power you ask of your alternator the more resistance it has to turning and therefore making more drag on the motor. That would be the only reason I would want to be able to turn it off. Unless the alternator took a crap on you and you are trying to limp the car home on just the battery, then I would want the fan off as well.

Sweet diagram David, that should about clear it up. I would put the optional switch on to the trigger side fed from a constant hot to turn the fan ON when I wanted, not off as shown. I can't see many times you would want the fan not to run, but would want to be able to run it to pull the heat soak out of the intercooler at the track between rounds

Adam

Adam,

I used to have mine like the diagram (without switch) and it ran whenever the ignition was on. I'm using the same wiring to run the fan on my transmission cooler now. If you have a double intercooler, you need the fan running all the time to pull air through the core. If you got in a situation where you needed to turn it off, you just pull the fuse.

David

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,now that is a diagram.I suppose I owe you guys a beer at the shootout.by then I will have saved up enough cash to get the intercooler rebuilt and bored from supercoupe performance,my whole engine is 100% stock I have made little upgrades here and there perhaps enough to break under 15 is my hope.

Back