brake sensor

90scmxdream

Hi everybody I have a leak at this brake sensor, does anyone know where I may fine one. that is the sensor that sits on the frame just below the teves unit. jose

The one that bolts to the inner fender / frame rail? If so, it's currently not available new. Frustrating to me, since mine is broken too. It's still listed in catalogs (SMP part PSS18 or Wells / Duralast part PS502), but you can't actually buy it. In the meantime, you can check the junkyard, I suppose.

I do not know for sure that they stock it, but http://www.mypartsgarage.com/wells-power-steering-pressure-switch-ps502.html lists it as being in-stock.

If your car isn't a daily driver, you can also take the switch off, stuff a rubber plug in the hole to keep the brake fluid from running out, and get a plug to suit.

Its purpose is to tell the ARC control "Get hard, boys, we done dropped the anchor!" (i.e., over 400psi brake fluid, set shocks to firm).

If you leave it in firm all the time ANYWAY, it won't matter.

RwP

The description is rather bogus, but that is the right part. Mine leak too. If anyone is interested, the thread size is 3/8-24 Its not a metric thread.

autozone can get it, had to order one for mine. (Little Tip) There is a lil hole in the plastic for it to leakout (when it goes bad). You want to have that hole facing down. I tried to fill the hole with epoxy til i got the new one (didnt last long), but when i reinstalled it the hole was facing up and about caught the car on fire after it sprayed the hot manifold with brake fluid. So make sure it faces down incase of it failing again.

autozone can get it, had to order one for mine. (Little Tip) There is a lil hole in the plastic for it to leakout (when it goes bad). You want to have that hole facing down. I tried to fill the hole with epoxy til i got the new one (didnt last long), but when i reinstalled it the hole was facing up and about caught the car on fire after it sprayed the hot manifold with brake fluid. So make sure it faces down incase of it failing again.

How long ago did you buy one? Autozone's website shows the part, but won't let you order it. I tried Advance and it did the same thing. I called Advance and the man there said he couldn't order it either. RockAuto lets you add it to the cart, then tells you it's not available when you try to check out.

I've been trying to buy a new one of those switches for more than a year. I've even made it past the checkout of a couple of different sites, only to have my money refunded a few days later.

And just to confirm the thread is 3/8 x 24 fine. I test fitted a bolt, but without accommodations for an o-ring, it would have leaked.

The one that bolts to the inner fender / frame rail? If so, it's currently not available new. Frustrating to me, since mine is broken too. It's still listed in catalogs (SMP part PSS18 or Wells / Duralast part PS502), but you can't actually buy it. In the meantime, you can check the junkyard, I suppose.

That Duralast number is a power steering pressure switch. :confused:

And just to confirm the thread is 3/8 x 24 fine. I test fitted a bolt, but without accommodations for an o-ring, it would have leaked.
Teflon tape should seal it. 400psi shouldn't be enough to make it by the threads. I'm also planning to cover the hole of a leaky sensor with a small chunk of rubber and see if that will work. I also tried sealing the connector part with RTV after cleaning it out with acetone, but it still developed a drip.

Last edited:

this is called a brake pressure switch. bill at sc performance has these in stock. i got one from him a while back when mine went out, it is a standard motors (pss18).

this is called a brake pressure switch. bill at sc performance has these in stock. i got one from him a while back when mine went out, it is a standard motors (pss18).

Likewise, thank you very much! I will order one now.

If I remember correctly, a few years back, this switch was not available. Then it was. I didn't buy one then because my switch worked, and I needed the $100 for other stuff. Now it is broken and I can't find any new switches. :rolleyes:

I am not really sure who makes the switch, but it's obvious that the same company is making them for SMP, Wells, Duralast, and whatever other brands sell it. I wonder if they ran off a big one-time run a few years back, which has just dried up now?

I sent an email to Wells Mfg. purchasing support yesterday, asking if the switch is in production or not. Haven't heard back yet. Perhaps I am not a big enough fish.

Teflon tape should seal it. 400psi shouldn't be enough to make it by the threads.

No, you misunderstand.

It TRIPS at 400psi.

Brake hoses are supposed to be proof to around 3,000 PSI (!!!)

Yes, it NEEDS the O-ring.

Besides, PTFE tape isn't for sealing (although it helps), it's for anti-seize.

RwP

Since it was the only sensor I could physically find, the price really didn't matter to me. Give him a call.

Sorry, I thought it was listed on the site and I just wasnt finding it. The manufacture in Mexico is not making the part any longer. Working with them to see if they will do another run. Need to find our SCCOA members that can call Reynosa or wait until i get home this evening.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought it was listed on the site and I just wasnt finding it. The manufacture in Mexico is not making the part no longer. Working with them to see if they will do another run.

If you can get another run produced, that would be great. I'd likely buy another switch since I have 2 cars (that I care about) that have the switch.

Chased duralast and SMP to a factory in Rosona Mexico. Have their phone number, but have to wait until I get home to call them. :)

Back