Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: My new to me 35th Annv project (pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by TSC89 View Post
    I have another one of these without a tire Chris.
    PM sent...let me know.
    Chris' Current Stable:
    1990 35th SC - Still under the knife.
    441.89 RWHP/403.88 RWTQ
    11.820 @ 114.71
    2014 Hyundai Veloster TURBO baby!!! HAHA!

Update on the project and status of the car!

So far the car has about 7500 miles on it and some things have reared there evilness. As a result, the car is getting some upgrades and other updates. First of all the some things I wish I would have done from day one but elected not to. Change the wheel bolt pattern. I've had a constant steering/wheel vibration since the car was finished. I've had the wheels/tires checked twice on a road force reaction balance machine. The techs cannot seem to find anything wrong with them. Not sure exactly what is going on as the wheel bearings are new. The entire front end is new so I am at a loss for where the vibration is coming. Possible issues are bad new wheel bearing, bad tire (techs missed) who knows. Anyway I'm going to do a hub swap to the 5 x 4.5 pattern. This will open up the plethora of wheel options. This will require me to obviously update bearings and hubs so maybe that will correct any issue there hopefully.

I also have an addcco 1.5" front sway bar on the car. While the handling and anti-roll it provides is great I cannot stand the ride. So I will be swapping that back to stock. (I have a sway bar for sale if anyone else would like to try it. PM me.)

We also noticed finally after 7500 miles that the rear tires were getting chewed to death. It appears that either something has come loose and the alignment has changed dramatically or it wasn't done properly the first time. I have the original report and everything is within spec so who knows. I plan on using Rod's alignment guy as he is very familiar with these cars and I want this done right once and for all. I do not need to chew up another set of rear tires. I'd like to waste them doing burn outs. :shock:

Anyone who has been next to the car on the highway or in a tunnel or ridden in the car knows the exhaust is ridiculously loud and raspy. I've even changed resonators trying to tone down the drone. I think honestly that the 3" long tube collectors are just too big. If I had it to do over again I'd stick with 2.5". I'm not changing the headers so I am going to redo the exhaust again :roll:. I am going to use a magna flow true X-CORE dual in dual out muff for a resonator. The muff's will be as big and long as I can manage in the back. Hopefully, this will quiet down the drone and make riding it in manageable.

I am also going to completely rely on methanol injection for inlet temperature cooling. There is a thought that I am loosing approximately ~3psi or so through my inter-cooler. Which BTW is not as efficient as hoped. This will free up an enormous amount of space up front for radiator and AC condenser air. This will also allow me to shift my radiator about 5 inches to the drivers side of the car. Which will then allow me to remove the procharger inlet hat. Procharger believes that this is a constriction on my ability to pull air in to make boost as the hat was designed to work with a much smaller unit only producing 6psi. I will then be able to run a straight 4" pipe into the unit without any bends. All of this alone should help produce and additional ~3-5 psi. Hopefully this is where the 40-50hp has been hiding? Who knows it is an SC right?

The other on-going issue with the car is the belt tensioner. It was really designed for a 6 rib belt. I have been using it with an 8 rib belt and it really isn't up for the job. I am going to adapt either the SC stock supercharger tensioner or the AC delete tensioner. Hopefully, this will aid in belt slippage problems and produce and overall better system.

Finally, on the way home from Carlisle the supercharger pulley bolt backed out on me and let the pulley wobble. We will have to machine a new pulley but I think that needs an upgraded hat washer to prevent that happening in the future.

Hopefully, these things can get accomplished over the next new weeks and I can get the car back on the road again.

Upgrades are:
    1. Optima batter and purdy hold down tray.
    2. Some bling (come to the shootout to see )
    3. Hub swap and New wheels obviously.
    4. Meth injection as stated.
    5. New exhaust.
    5. Updated inlet tubing.
    6. Moving trans cooler and lines.
    7. Pulley tensioner.
    8. Proper pulley hat washer.
    Chris' Current Stable:
    441.89 RWHP/403.88 RWTQ
    11.820 @ 114.71

I think it's immaculate now Chris. I have the same vibration you and Dave do. I'm looking in to the pinion angle as the culprit because everything is new just like yours. Ford had a tsb on the pinion angle driveline issue years ago so I am going to get mine check and degreed to see if that takes care of it.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Quote Originally Posted by davec73 View Post
    I think it's immaculate now Chris. I have the same vibration you and Dave do. I'm looking in to the pinion angle as the culprit because everything is new just like yours. Ford had a tsb on the pinion angle driveline issue years ago so I am going to get mine check and degreed to see if that takes care of it.
    There should be no question as to whether or not it's a pinion vibration or wheel vibration. The pinion is turning at 3-4 times the rpm as your tires. You can tell the difference. At 70-80mph the pinion will be turning so fast you'll be able to hear the vibration as much as you feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

3 psi through the IC....wow that's a lot. Has that been measured or just an estimate?

Looking back I don't see the IC dimensions (I honestly didn't look through all 26 pages) but a picture makes the core look like 8x10x6 ish which does seem a little small to me but I know you put a bunch of time in up front researching specs for this stuff.

Are you IATs good or do you have trouble controlling those too?
    Last edited by SCrazy; 06-15-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    There should be no question as to whether or not it's a pinion vibration or wheel vibration. The pinion is turning at 3-4 times the rpm as your tires. You can tell the difference. At 70-80mph the pinion will be turning so fast you'll be able to hear the vibration as much as you feel it.
    Thanks Dave that should help a lot of us narrow it down to not being in the wheels and tires. Mine is at around 70 mph and it comes and goes shaking the rearview mirror and entire car for that matter at what seems to be much faster than the wheel speed.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Quote Originally Posted by SCrazy View Post
    3 psi through the IC....wow that's a lot. Has that been measured or just an estimate?

Looking back I don't see the IC dimensions (I honestly didn't look through all 26 pages) but a picture makes the core look like 8x10x6 ish which does seem a little small to me but I know you put a bunch of time in up front researching specs for this stuff.

Are you IATs good or do you have trouble controlling those too?
    I agree 3psi seems like a lot. It is the same core Corey is using with his Turbo car. I am was getting higher than expected inlets temp as well. Hopefully this won't all be for nothing.
    Chris' Current Stable:
    441.89 RWHP/403.88 RWTQ
    11.820 @ 114.71

How will a Methanol only system effect rear wheel torque i wonder? I have always heard that its a torque killer
    93 SC Red Auto 111k
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    4.2, 2.3 Whipple, 3.73s AOD
    307rwhp 12.70@107.2 (MPX)
    395rwhp Whipple.... et ?????

Quote Originally Posted by davec73 View Post
    Thanks Dave that should help a lot of us narrow it down to not being in the wheels and tires. Mine is at around 70 mph and it comes and goes shaking the rearview mirror and entire car for that matter at what seems to be much faster than the wheel speed.
    Whenever I have had that issue it has been the driveshaft bolts backing out...but maybe that's not your case...some loctite and good to go.

With my car opened up for upgrades and repairs I'm ditching my brake dust making pads for something MO-Better. Did a bit of reading and it appears the EBC redstuff ceramic pads are engineered for heavy cars such as ours while providing the lowest dust of any of their line. I've got the cobra calipers up front so it appears part # EBC-DP31131C is correct. For my stock rear relocated calipers part # EBC-DP31164C appears correct. Anyone ever try these or are my part #'s off?

Cheers,
    Chris

**EDIT
    1989-1992 Rear calipers need - EBC-DP31172C
    1993-1995 Rear calipers need - EBC-DP31164C
    Last edited by Wzenheimer; 06-23-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    Chris' Current Stable:
    441.89 RWHP/403.88 RWTQ
    11.820 @ 114.71

I run 'KVR Performance Carbon Fiber Pads' and they seem to never dust. Big difference over stock that dust like crazy, stopping power is terrific, no noise, great on heat, don't need heat in them to work and they never squeal.

http://kvrperformance.com/parts/prod...ducts_id=21285

Use their drill down by car brand/type/SC/year to find yours. Example fronts for my Anny are $61.00 [M7304]