Father-son challenge in the works....

I would guess it will be close. I never exceeded 262hp/370tq on a stock 94 long block with every bolt on possible. I think it will be close.

Phil's car 240
David's car 250

Good idea guys

I have no idea what these mods will yeild either cars but it seems an upgraded blower will edge out a stock unit.

Good luck to you both!

Ok, the guesses are in and the gauntlet has been thrown. Unfortunately I didn't make the dyno today due to a variety of circumstances, but Phil did.

John Ludorf
Phil's car 240
David's car 250

Ken Wagner
Phil's car 270
David's car 255

Corey Binks
Phil's car 271
David's car 273

Paul Wark
Phil's car 271
David's car 276

David Neibert
Phil's car 270
David's car 260

Mark Paulhamus
Phil's car 240
David's car 255

Bryce Johnson
Phil's car 247
David's car 269

Tom Joy
Phil's car 265
David's car 273

Last edited:
Phil's actual #'s - 248rwhp generating 15.5psi boost at peak rpm. So that makes Bryce the winner by guessing 247rwhp. :)

This is a bone stock motor with a mild cam upgrade, cat back exhaust (stock downtubes), UD pulleys, S-port blower with stock 89 pulley, intercooler fan, 3" intake, 65mm TB, 38lb injectors, chip/tune and 77MM Pro M MAF. The cool thing is that these parts are all reject parts I had laying around from old builds so the total cost in parts for Phil is so far amounts to about whatever I should have charged him to install the motor and build the FMIC for my car. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• Phils dyno 1.JPG
    Phils dyno 1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 263
Looks like no flow no go.:eek:

Honestly thought the cam would give it a push.

If it wasn't bleeding at the end it's always a good dyno day.

Congrats Phil

Paul

That seems like a good # to me. Considering his mods compared to mine and both making identical HP. I have reground cam,ported heads, bigger valves, 75mm TB, 80 mm MAF, ported 91 blower,60lb injectors,and chip. Does the blowers make that big of a difference. I know heat played a big factor the day it was last Dyno 'd but shouldn't be much of one this time. Hoping for a little better results now that its cooler.Work your magic Dave find me at least 10 more HP. So I can at least say my car has more hp than a stock engine.

That seems like a good # to me. Considering his mods compared to mine and both making identical HP. I have reground cam,ported heads, bigger valves, 75mm TB, 80 mm MAF, ported 91 blower,60lb injectors,and chip. Does the blowers make that big of a difference. I know heat played a big factor the day it was last Dyno 'd but shouldn't be much of one this time. Hoping for a little better results now that its cooler.Work your magic Dave find me at least 10 more HP. So I can at least say my car has more hp than a stock engine.

David, your car is currently suffering from belt slip so it only makes 12psi. Yes, a decent ported blower would make a world of difference for your car. Also don't forget it's an automatic with a high stall converter.

Looks like no flow no go.:eek:

Honestly thought the cam would give it a push.

If it wasn't bleeding at the end it's always a good dyno day.

Congrats Phil

Paul

It does give it a push. But with a stock intercooler we didn't want to increase OD any more. We could easily have made 17-18psi, but that wouldn't work too well in real life. Notice torque is low, only 310-320. 18psi would have made 370rwtq, but at a cost of constant detonation. As it is this combo is flirting with detonation at only 18 deg total timing.

Those are pretty good numbers considering the parts used. As Dave stated, using "reject" parts he gained nearly 50 rwhp....can't beat that! Especially with the stock intercooler

Tom

David, your car is currently suffering from belt slip so it only makes 12psi. Yes, a decent ported blower would make a world of difference for your car. Also don't forget it's an automatic with a high stall converter.

Did my car get dyno'd today then. And do you have the stiffer tensioner springs. I can install them just need to know where to get them

any of the fleet at your house for sale?
lol, actually yes. I've been contemplating selling my wife's daily. It's a 95 auto, light pearl grey mist. Needs some work (mostly paint) but makes a great daily driver. I've been thinking about putting together a few pics and listing it up.

David, I don't know about "dream crusher". Phil's car doesn't have any OD and it still made 248rwhp. That's not bad at all considering only 18 deg timing too. Temps were cool but humidity was about 80% (it was raining).

lol, actually yes. I've been contemplating selling my wife's daily. It's a 95 auto, light pearl grey mist. Needs some work (mostly paint) but makes a great daily driver. I've been thinking about putting together a few pics and listing it up.

David, I don't know about "dream crusher". Phil's car doesn't have any OD and it still made 248rwhp. That's not bad at all considering only 18 deg timing too. Temps were cool but humidity was about 80% (it was raining).

David,

I agree that it's a good number..especially for that dyno. I still expect your numbers to be about 10 rwhp lower. BTW, when are you putting your car on the dyno ?

David

I finally managed to get my car on the dyno tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I know some people will think I'm throwing the contest among other things, but I'm not. It is what it is.

Just to be clear, this is exactly what the car has, starting from the top/front and moving down/back.

• Home made 4.5" intake with 1400cfm air filter, 95lb injectors and slot MAF.
  • 85MM TB and MP plenum attached to an MPII with bare rotors and 15% OD.
  • Massive CX Racing FMIC assembled by Phil and I.
  • UD pulleys
  • Exhaust system consisting of completely stock manifolds, Magnaflow 2" downtubes with cats, Jones resonator, dual 2.5" pipes and Flowmaster 40's.

Anything not listed is totally stock.

With 16 deg timing it made 283rwhp and 20psi boost.

I have to say that the intercooler is the key to this combination because there is no way on earth we'd be able to run 20psi through a stock intercooler. We logged a 6 deg temp rise during the course of a long 4th gear pull. That makes all the difference.

So there it is. Paul was closest guessing 276rwhp. If I'd have been adventurous and felt like adding another 6 deg of timing we might have broken 300rwhp. But that is for another day....

attachment.php

Attachments

• dyno.JPG
    dyno.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I finally managed to get my car on the dyno tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I know some people will think I'm throwing the contest among other things, but I'm not. It is what it is.

Just to be clear, this is exactly what the car has, starting from the top/front and moving down/back.

• Home made 4.5" intake with 1400cfm air filter, 95lb injectors and slot MAF.
  • 85MM TB and MP plenum attached to an MPII with bare rotors and 15% OD.
  • Massive CX Racing FMIC assembled by Phil and I.
  • UD pulleys
  • Exhaust system consisting of completely stock manifolds, Magnaflow 2" downtubes with cats, Jones resonator, dual 2.5" pipes and Flowmaster 40's.

Anything not listed is totally stock.

With 16 deg timing it made 283rwhp and 20psi boost.

I have to say that the intercooler is the key to this combination because there is no way on earth we'd be able to run 20psi through a stock intercooler. We logged a 6 deg temp rise during the course of a long 4th gear pull. That makes all the difference.

So there it is. Tom and Corey both guessed 273 so that's as close as it was. If I'd have been adventurous and felt like adding another 6 deg of timing we might have broken 300rwhp. But that is for another day....

attachment.php

Nice job Dave, guess the intercooler is a key component to make big power

Ken

Back