Father-son challenge in the works....

His - 95 5spd, mild cam, S-port, stock plenum & TB, UD's, cat-back exhaust, 2.73 gears

Is this still his setup making 395? Did you add some of your heads and a better cam? Interested in his setup?:D

His - 95 5spd, mild cam, S-port, stock plenum & TB, UD's, cat-back exhaust, 2.73 gears

Is this still his setup making 395? Did you add some of your heads and a better cam? Interested in his setup?:D

No, he has two cars. The first one I handed him his butt pretty solidly. That car is still his DD and has received no additional mods. The other car is a 1990 XR7. We both have two cars, the first car I had is the 1989 XR7 and then the second one is a 1993 SC which is currently apart. Anyway, so we kind of morphed into a second challenge.

His XR7 has a forged bottom end 3.8L that he picked up here on the boards (no, I didn't build it (!) ). It has a cam and heads package that was previously installed done by some shop out in VA (no one known to these boards) which I would call "Stage 1.5". The cam is mild and pulls 12-13" vacuum at idle.

On top of that he put an MPX-S and a FMIC off Ebay. An Aeromotive 340 fuel pump and 80lb injectors with a Snow alcohol injection system round out the fuel delivery. I built a dual 2.5" exhaust system for stock exhaust manifolds to go on it. It has full cats, is very quiet, and makes 19.5psi boost.

We had some problems with the fuel pump so the first time at the track netted some 12.6's with it running out of fuel badly in 3rd and 4th gear but we got that fixed now and with full power Phil's one and only pass was 12.49 @ 111mph before the diff broke. We hope to have it back together soon so he can get some practice running it before the Shootout.

Thanks Dave. Sounds like a really nice combo. Almost 400rwhp. Sweet. That MPX with the new coating sounds like a nice setup!

You must be having a lot of fun.

My daughters are starting to go to tennis tournaments with me and going to watch my lessons. I can't wait till they are old enough to play some father/daughter events with them. That will be cool!:D

When I get my 89 I will be in the market for a nice cam. It has a comp cam stage two which isn't really helping my efforts from what I understand.

Back