Road Racing-Auto Cross-SCCA Thread

tehsilver95lx

Post it up if you Road Race,Auto Cross or participate in SCCA type events.

Please list-

Year/Make/Model/Motor.

Forced/Natural asperation.

Hp/Tq.

Transmission.(gear ratios/clutch/fly wheel) Ect..

Rear end set up.(gears,differentials) Ect..

Tires/Rims.(sizes,friction/wear rating) Ect..

Brakes set up.(rotors,pads,calipers,fluid) Ect..

Suspension set up. (springs,struts,control arms *upper,lower* sway bars,electronicly controlled or not,bushings) Ect..

Chassis modifications.

Aerodynamic modifications.

Weight reduction.

Videos/Pictures.

Best times.

Track name/Event/Compitition.

Feel free to include anything i missed:rolleyes::D

I do a 24 hours of lemons race

Year/Make/Model/Motor. 1989 Mercury Cougar XR7 with explorer 5.0

Forced/Natural asperation. NA

Hp/Tq. Approx 230hp, maybe 300ft-lb

Transmission.(gear ratios/clutch/fly wheel) Early M5r2

Rear end set up.(gears,differentials) 3.27tl

Tires/Rims.(sizes,friction/wear rating) 275/40/17 Nitto NT05s on 17x9 cobra wheels.

Brakes set up.(rotors,pads,calipers,fluid) Cobra rotors front and rear, twin piston pbr calipers up front, stock 94 tbird rear calipers relocated to clear cobra rotors, hawk racing blue front pads, ebc yellow stuff rears.

Suspension set up. Tokicko blue front shocks, bilstein rears, stock SC sway bars and springs with 1-1.5 coils cut off

Chassis modifications. Full cage, rear shock tower brace, lower engine cradle braces welded in, rear lower control arm brace.

Aerodynamic modifications. 4 spoilers and a pair of pistons bolted to the roof.

Weight reduction. Extensive weight reduction. Car probably weighs around 3000 pounds now.

Videos/Pictures. I'll get back to you on this one when I'm on my home computer.

Best times. Hit 140mph on the straight at nj motorsports park.

Track name/Event/Compitition. 24 hours of lemons.

Technically yes, but you are only allowed to spend $500 on the car not counting safety equipment, so that pretty much rules out any aftermarket kit. I may try to make something to bolt an m90 on it though.

Technically yes, but you are only allowed to spend $500 on the car not counting safety equipment, so that pretty much rules out any aftermarket kit. I may try to make something to bolt an m90 on it though.

hmm interesting haha,where are the promised pics!!:rolleyes:

Car may be a little different in some pics based on mods and date.

043.jpg

026.jpg

61.jpg

087.jpg

I ran the car in the SCCA's Street Mod solo class. I ran it on Hoosier A6 tires, it weighed around 3540 at the time, and made 355 or so hp to the wheels. I quit racing it because a) I killed the engine, and b) it was and never will be competitive. It's now down to 3,430 pounds and 377 rwhp, but that's still way, way too heavy and underpowered for that class. I now run a 99 Z28 in the ESP class (or I will when I repair it...at the moment I'm in an ES MR2).

I have a ton of mods. If you have questions, let me know.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot I have a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdLRcOoaB1k

Last edited:
I ran the 94 5 speed one time at Gingerman Raceway in MI. Car is bone stock with bridgestone G019 tires. Elcheapo brakes that faded bad. Check engine light was on so I didn't run it hard either. Turned out to be the IAT plug was loose. I had fun tho.

I'm gonna put some 17's on her soon with some 13" brakes and try to get out there again sometime.

For some reason youtube looped the video. Its really only 10 minutes.

IMG_2116_zps192589d0.jpg

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKntXc8Dmco?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKntXc8Dmco?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Car may be a little different in some pics based on mods and date. I have a ton of mods. If you have questions, let me know.

Ok,those were 18's right,what profile? what was your drop ? (lowering springs?):)

BLOWN38 I love that vid,actually inspired this thread,killin it in firm ride???:p

MadMikeyL haha always loved the lemons look:rolleyes:

QA1 doesn't make an especially good shock in my opinion. I got a set of the QA1 coilovers from the group buy years back (2007?), and the Konis I've got now are much better.

However, since the Koni and Bilstein are both discontinued for the MN12, I think there aren't any good shock options, and people just need to go with whatever's available, unfortunately. QA1s are probably as good as anything else currently available for our cars.

QA1 doesn't make an especially good shock in my opinion. I got a set of the QA1 coilovers from the group buy years back (2007?), and the Konis I've got now are much better.

However, since the Koni and Bilstein are both discontinued for the MN12, I think there aren't any good shock options, and people just need to go with whatever's available, unfortunately. QA1s are probably as good as anything else currently available for our cars.

also ..how do you feel about ARC compared to regular suspension? like Tokico Illumina Electronic Adjustable Shocks look good with some Vogtland 1.6" Lowering Spring (which will probably be cut to 2" all around) to accompany ?

also ..how do you feel about ARC compared to regular suspension? like Tokico Illumina Electronic Adjustable Shocks look good with some Vogtland 1.6" Lowering Spring (which will probably be cut to 2" all around) to accompany ?

Again, there are so few shock options left for our cars that this combo is probably as good as anything currently available.

The ARC really won't have any effect on a track, as it will always be in firm ride mode, assuming your ARC system is working effectively. That being said, the Tokico Illumina Adjustables, in their firm setting, are probably the stiffest shock that is still available for our cars, and is definitely much stiffer than the tokico blues.

As for springs, for a road-course car, I would reccomend either some H&Rs, or just cut factory SC springs, as they will both be stiffer than the Vogtlands.

Easiest way to start racing with SCCA is autocrossing. Locally, you may do just fine, depending how many people are in your class. Nationally, though, the MN12 is never going to be a winner.

I don't do any SCCA road racing, so I can't speak much to that. Time trials would be a decent way to get started, though. The SCCA's website has plenty of info on what's required for various levels of racing (car prep, etc.) Many other clubs also have HPDEs/track days where you can have an instructor ride with you. Clubs like BMWCCA and PCA often allow other makes into events if they don't fill up with BMWs/Porsches first.

The ARC really won't have any effect on a track, as it will always be in firm ride mode, assuming your ARC system is working effectively. That being said, the Tokico Illumina Adjustables, in their firm setting, are probably the stiffest shock that is still available for our cars, and is definitely much stiffer than the tokico blues.

As for springs, for a road-course car, I would reccomend either some H&Rs, or just cut factory SC springs, as they will both be stiffer than the Vogtlands.

what is the model # for h&r's,whats the drop?

Back