Check Engine Light

1qwik99

Hi all,

Thought I'd ask this question here. I was driving back from the Fabulous Fords Show in Buena Park Yesterday (about 125 miles) Car ran perfectly. However, several times during the drive, the check engine light came on and went off within 10 seconds then stayed off. No noticeable driveability issues. I'm going to try to read the codes on Wednesday. Any ideas what would cause the light to go off and stay off when codes are being tripped?

Thanks!

Whatever problem existed to trigger the code is no longer triggering the CEL. Meaning the condition no longer exists.

So I'm guessing that I'll have to run a "real time" scan while the car is running in the hopes that the light will come on again? I have noticed that the oil pressure gauge is fluctuating quite a bit lately. I pulled the wire off, cleaned the corrosion and sprayed it with WD 40. It was fine for a couple of weeks, then started again and the check light came on. Could this be related?

The CEL code should be stored & will show up on a scan. The oil press will not be. The oil will only trigger a check gauge light. I have had intermitent CEL's be O2's , TPS & EGR flow issues. Only a code scanner will know.

MIL codes

Thanks for the tip ! I ordered the FORD OBD1 scanner and extension cable off Amazon should be here tomorrow and I'll test it.

EEC Codes

Ok..I got the scanner and hooked it up per the instructions. I got a memory code of 176 which translates to O2 sensor lean condition left side. So does that mean driver side or passenger side. Also, since it was only one side, does that mean that it probably is an 02 sensor and not some vacuum leak? The check engine light does not stay on so I am wondering if maybe a wiggle test is in order before changing an 02 sensor....any thoughts on that? The car is 17 years old and probably has the original 02, but only has 57K original miles on it.

02 sensor

I have a manual but figured I'd ask: Where is the left side 02 and any tips tricks or special tools for changing it? I figure on using a Motorcraft 02 unless someone here recommends something better. I like the keep the car original stock condition with OEM parts.

Last edited:
I have a manual but figured I'd ask: Where is the left side 02 and any tips tricks or special tools for changing it? I figure on using a Motorcraft 02 unless someone here recommends something better. I like the keep the car original stock condition with OEM parts.

The Bosch OE replacements from advance auto parts work well.

Better replace O2's , rockauto has em for good $...http://www.rockauto.com/

You may have Vac leaks too. How long does it take for your VAC gauge to drop to (zero) after you shut off engine? after a drive & it's warmed up.

Should be 5-7 seconds.

+1 to the o2's. I had the same thing happen to me twice with the intermittent CEL, one time was O2's, and the other time was a bad vacuum leak.

Tom

Back