Rag jointFlange/steering shaft u-joint/coupler F4SZ3A525A/E9SZ3A525B

RedFox

Hi guys,
I found a cracked rag joint on my old bird. The entire housing is cracked, so replacing the disc wouldn't work. Not having much luck finding a new one. It's the part at the very bottom on the diagram which connects the steering shaft to the steering rack. I checked with Ford in the US and Canada and can't locate a new one. Would anyone have a good used one that I can purchase?

Thanks,
Den
ragjoint.jpg

Last edited:
That solution is good for those who need extra clearance due to headers but my preference is for an OEM style unit. Thanks.

You could try one of these plus a stubby piece of shaft, drilled to fit the stock collapsible shaft bolt.

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/OEM_Style_Rag_Joints-orderby_0-p-1-c-16.html

Below are comments which I also agree with from another member on these aftermarket units. I am especially concerned since my vehicle sees high mileage hard driving conditions. For those who know my car, this is an understatement ;) and last month in Northern Quebec I was in near off road conditions...:D (Correction: I was off road and on one instance I bottomed the entire suspension so hard on all 4 wheels at once that I cracked my dashboard. Very lucky that the windshield held...:D)

"I agree that on a street driven vehicle, the method of using set screws to hold all that stuff is marginal at best . After a significant amount of street time they simply worked loose in my case. Welding on a steering component carries with it an inherent risk also, but one should be aware regardless, that it is possible for them to loosen, even with red locktite."

For the above reasons, my preference is for a stock unit. Thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited:
I have a good used OEM one. You can have it for the price of shipping. Send me a PM if interested.

steering joint

RedFox, have a good used rag joint.
Will bring to meet on Thursday, see you there.
Tony.

Thank you 90coug for the generous offer.

Will give the one from a local member a try.

Much appreciated Tony. See you tonight.

Below are comments which I also agree with from another member on these aftermarket units. I am especially concerned since my vehicle sees high mileage hard driving conditions. For those who know my car, this is an understatement ;) and last month in Northern Quebec I was in near off road conditions...:D (Correction: I was off road and on one instance I bottomed the entire suspension so hard on all 4 wheels at once that I cracked my dashboard. Very lucky that the windshield held...:D)

"I agree that on a street driven vehicle, the method of using set screws to hold all that stuff is marginal at best . After a significant amount of street time they simply worked loose in my case. Welding on a steering component carries with it an inherent risk also, but one should be aware regardless, that it is possible for them to loosen, even with red locktite."

For the above reasons, my preference is for a stock unit. Thank you for the suggestions.

I agree with you that the pinch bolt is a better idea. I don't like the set screws either. Just making suggestions.

I looked into it a little bit more, and I think that there may be a Dorman part that would fit our cars. It's part 31008, and it includes the rack-side flange and a coupler disc. I may order one and take a look for myself.

Anyway, looks like you found a good used one. Good!

I agree with you that the pinch bolt is a better idea. I don't like the set screws either. Just making suggestions.

I looked into it a little bit more, and I think that there may be a Dorman part that would fit our cars. It's part 31008, and it includes the rack-side flange and a coupler disc. I may order one and take a look for myself.

Anyway, looks like you found a good used one. Good!

And your suggestions were excellent ones. If you order the Dorman part, let us know as it may be good info. for other members for such parts that are becoming difficult to get.

Thanks Bruce, I did get a good one from Tony just in time for the old bird to take flight for Ottawa. Markham to Orleans (East end of Ottawa) in 3:35 minutes including 4 radar traps.;):D And the old girl will be 24 on Thursday May 16. Thanks again Tony for her B'Day gift.

Back