Midwest or SCCOA Texas-- Which one?

dubf

Questions:

1) I'm an Ohio guy, but I'm living in TX right now. Should I join the midwest group or the group in TX?

2) I really want a 94-95 5 sp. Preferably black. Any ideas where to find one?

3) Does anyone host like workshops on SCs? I'm in love with them but have the wrenching skills of a 7 year old.

Thanks!

-Will

If you are not much of a mechanic you might want to rethink your choice in cars. On the other hand I love mine and you can learn a lot from the forum. Good luck with your choice.

Will,

Not too many SC’s here in Texas. I am about 45 miles north of Austin. There is another active member in New Braunfels south of Austin, a few up in the DFW area, Houston, and down in the Valley. There are others scattered around but I can’t recall their locations off the top of my head. As far as joining a local club, the group here in Texas is spread out over the state, which can make get together’s difficult.

With the Pick Up being the state vehicle of Texas, sports cars don’t share the popularity they have in other parts of the US.

As nmcbchief has pointed out SC’s are not for the faint of heart. If I couldn’t do the work myself, I prolly wouldn’t own 4. Repairs can be time consuming thus expensive, and there aren’t that many shops that have even heard of the SC let alone being competent at fixing them. The group here is a great resource to keep an SC running, but it still requires some hands on.

The ‘94/’95 5 speeds are pretty scare but they are out there. The electronic 4R70W auto is an improvement over the previous AOD. I wouldn’t rule out a ‘94/’95 Auto until you drive one. Some Midwest cars suffer from rust, Texas and other southern states (except those very near the gulf coast) enjoy a rust free undercarriage, but the southern sun load is hard on the exterior finish. Watch the classified's here as well as Craigslist, Auto Trader and sometimes there are surprise local listings.

Charlie

If you are not much of a mechanic you might want to rethink your choice in cars. On the other hand I love mine and you can learn a lot from the forum. Good luck with your choice.

nmcbchief,

You're right they are not cheap to have. But hey, when you're driving a classic, is it ever cheap? I don't mind paying. And as I learn I can start to wrench a little myself. I've been looking at the classifieds here. My problem is that I'm deployed. And since I know that the SCs are hard to come by in those years I'm trying to jump on them when I see them.

Are there good people to maybe work a deal to grab one before I come home in July? Or just keep an eye on the classifieds?

-Will

Back