Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump

Fuel pump

My fuel pump went out. What should I get to replace it besides one from the local parts store. Upgrade the fuel pump. The car has long tube headers cold air intake and a 5% jackshaft pulley. It a 93 so I will be putting on a late model superchared on it and other go fast parts. I'm looking to something I can just bolt in. I was looking on supercoupeperformance.com at there fuel pumps. Just seeing what other people's preferences are.

Get the 255 High Pressure or the Aeromotive Stealth 340 center inlet. Either one you need to change the connector on the cars wiring.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

You can get the 255lph walbro kit from supercoupe performance.

Just ordered the kit from supercoupeperformance know I hope it's no to rusty to get the pump out.

Are you planning on dropping the tank or do you plan on popping up the back seat and cutting the floor. I never thought I would say it but cutting the floor was easy breezy.

Dropping the tank I have a lift I can use so it not like I'm in a garage on the floor trying to do this and this is the third one Ive done. It kinda sucks I have a half tank of gas too so she's nice and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by 93superbirdie View Post
    Dropping the tank I have a lift I can use so it not like I'm in a garage on the floor trying to do this and this is the third one Ive done. It kinda sucks I have a half tank of gas too so she's nice and heavy.
    It's doable without a lift if you are persistent. I have done it once in a driveway. Once in an apartment building parking lot. And once on a residential street. Not fun, but I have done it.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

See I cheated....i bought an entire fuel pump assembly off here and put the 255lph pump into that, so i just have to swap it out when the time comes, a 10 minute job.

You still need to drop the tank or a cut a hole in the floor.

I would rather take a punch in the nose from someone before touching a gas tank, but on my 90 SC after taking a good two months after getting a new pump I plowed in. Two exhaust bolts and some lube to drop the rear exhaust pipes and two tank straps your there.

If only it was that easy for me.....custom 1 piece exhaust lol

Quote Originally Posted by LIVipers View Post
    If only it was that easy for me.....custom 1 piece exhaust lol
    What size?

I'd buy a coupler, cut it in a straight, put the coupler on to reattach, and go to the muffler shop and get them to put a ball and socket joint there.

Note to any reading: Do NOT, repeat, do NOT use a 1-piece exhaust! Put at least ONE coupler in it so you can drop the exhaust and get to the gas tank! Unless you can weld it back up yourself ...

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by LIVipers View Post
    See I cheated....i bought an entire fuel pump assembly off here and put the 255lph pump into that, so i just have to swap it out when the time comes, a 10 minute job.
    Let me know when you start working. I will call you 10 minutes later to check on you.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    What size?

I'd buy a coupler, cut it in a straight, put the coupler on to reattach, and go to the muffler shop and get them to put a ball and socket joint there.

Note to any reading: Do NOT, repeat, do NOT use a 1-piece exhaust! Put at least ONE coupler in it so you can drop the exhaust and get to the gas tank! Unless you can weld it back up yourself ...

RwP
    Agreed on the exhaust advice. I had two flanges welded on my new exhaust directly in front of the resonator. I did not however have the shop use the ball and socket joint. I had them use flat flanges and gaskets. I fully expect the bolts to seize up on there but it;s easy to cut those bolts where they were placed.

Well my luck the person put dual exhaust in so it will unbolt easy from the long tube headers. Then it's gettin redone cuz it's rubbing on stuff and it looks bad.