Mechanics in Iowa

regalsc

Hello SC Community

I have now owned my 1989 sc for about a month and need to have spark plugs changed and the car tuned. Plugs I can probably do on my own but I have no idea how to tune a car. I've only ever worked on Small block chevy and starting to think I am out of my league with this car. Anyways the point of the post is to ask if there are any experienced Sc owners or mechanics in the Iowa area that can tune my t-bird?
Any help or point in the right direction is much apperciated.
Hope to get this 89 back to its full potential.

Thank you

There are several of us in the Des Moines area.

Changing the plugs if you dont want to remove the IC tubing and other parts is much easier from the bottom of the car.

When you say tuning, is the car stock? If mods have been done list them. What tuning software if any do you have? With it being an 89 that makes is the OBD1 and most of us are using the Moates Quarter Horse and Binary Editor 2010 or 2012 for the tuning.

If you don't have either of those the other option is the email David Dalke and tell him the modifications and he will burn you a chip and send it. He has plenty of experiance with the cars to have a mail order chip work, but no it is not as good as tuning on the street with QH1 and BE.

As far as the SBC, I have a 68 Camaro with a Gen 0 350 in it that I am currently looking at modifing a bit. Heads and headers are the main change I want to do. Maybe we can help eachother out?

Thank you for the reply, Glad to hear there are some local SC guys.
Which would you recommend changing the plugs for a first timer? I have the autolite 103 plugs.

I bought this off a friend and here is what I know about it that he could remember. The engine was overhauled when he first got it in 2003 and has less than 20,000 on the engine. Mods done at that time include
1 inch raise top
10% od pulley
70 tb - looking to change this out to, any recommendations?
73 or 75 maf
zr motor sport air intake
Full 2.5 inch magnaflow exhaust with gutted cats
3.73 rear gears
rebuilt trans with fairbank posi shift kit
polished crank
New larger fuel injectors, he couldn't remember the size but knows it was larger than factory.

I have no tuning software at all, should I get the QH1 or is that something a shop can tune?
Besides a new TB I don't plan on anymore mods until the body and interior are taken care of then. sunroof seal and motor, window motors, rear seat, and a new hood thanks to the neighbors tree.

I would recommend newer vortec heads on your small block if you don't have them already, thinking about upgrading to those on mine.
Run Hooker headers on mine and with the right locking washers never had a problem.

Thanks again

Those autolites are just fine. If you want some help with the plugs PM me your contact info and we can try and get together.

For the mods you have I would just do a chip with Dave. Then wait and see in a few years if something new and proved is available when you are ready for mods. If Dave comes into town which he does from time to time he can drive or dyno tune it while he is here.

I read some forums before ordering the plugs and it seemed alot of people were using those.
Thanks for the offer to help on those plugs, I may need to take you up on that.
Do I just contact Dave through this site?
I will pm you my contact info as soon as I figure out how to pm. ha
Sorry just learning about forums and it's all new to me.

Will these mods allow me to blow past the imports so I don't get stuck listening to their annoying exhaust? ha

It will keep the SC from getting heat soaked quickly.

The vortex heads are interesting, but its hard to tear down a 350 that doesn't leak anything.

Last edited:
I would agree its hard to justify tearing down a good non-leaking 350. Main reason I haven't installed a stroker kit, and vortec heads in mine.

That makes sense I will get one order as summer is coming and I know this car bogged down in the summer heat before.
Is there a certain ic fan that is best to be used on the SC's?

It wouldn't let me send a PM, so in a couple days after money is added to my pay pal account I'll officially join the sccoa club and hopefully it will work then.

Thanks again.

Birdofprey97 at gmail dot com is my email. Going to the Karl's Performance meeting tomorrow at 7-10.

Any fan will work.

Birdofprey97 at gmail dot com is my email. Going to the Karl's Performance meeting tomorrow at 7-10.

Heading over to "Cars and Coffee" at the race shop huh? Way to support my employer! I havent made it over there away from the dealship but I have seen some photos, it looks like a top notch building. Then again anything Carl does it has to be over the top. They do have that new 4WD dyno over there, I bet some body will be making some pulls on it tomorrow morning.

There is another member that works there in the body shop I believe. He drives a SC and a Bronco if I remember correctly.

Do I just contact Dave through this site?
I will pm you my contact info as soon as I figure out how to pm. ha
Sorry just learning about forums and it's all new to me.

Contact Dave via his email address, which you'll find in his signature on every one of his posts. I don't know of it off hand, but if you find XR7 Dave - he's the man.

To PM another member, click on their screenname and a menu should appear with Send a Private Message being one of the options.

As far as mods go - IC fan will help, but upgrading your IC will help as well. Going with a double IC is a nice improvement without really hurting the airflow to the radiator. Ken Wager (kenewagner) sells a great unit. I mention that because I didn't see a mention of IC upgrade.

And lastly, welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

If I have time tomorrow or this weekend I might start working on it and see what I can do, only way to learn is to just do it.

I have ordered a fan and will add it to the other parts needing put on. ha

Contact Dave via his email address, which you'll find in his signature on every one of his posts. I don't know of it off hand, but if you find XR7 Dave - he's the man.

To PM another member, click on their screenname and a menu should appear with Send a Private Message being one of the options.

As far as mods go - IC fan will help, but upgrading your IC will help as well. Going with a double IC is a nice improvement without really hurting the airflow to the radiator. Ken Wager (kenewagner) sells a great unit. I mention that because I didn't see a mention of IC upgrade.

And lastly, welcome to the forum :)

I have a read a lot of great things about xr7 Dave on this site so I will be emailing him as soon as I get a few new parts put on.
Upgrading IC might be a little out of the budget unless I find a used one.

Thank you for the advice

Thank you, Happy to be part of this very knowledgeable forum even if it makes me realize how much I don't know. ha

Heading over to "Cars and Coffee" at the race shop huh? Way to support my employer! I havent made it over there away from the dealship but I have seen some photos, it looks like a top notch building. Then again anything Carl does it has to be over the top. They do have that new 4WD dyno over there, I bet some body will be making some pulls on it tomorrow morning.

Cars and coffee at Karls was a success.

Last edited:
Thats me :p

Kyle

Kyle, we need to get the Birds together. Was hoping to get it out today, but when I saw the fog the truck was the only option.

If you hear of anyone looking for an 03 D'max 2500 long bed with ext cab let me know. There is no rust on the truck as it just came back here from the west coast.

Just thought I would give an update.
Decided to just change the plugs and wires myself, wasn't horrible but took longer than I am proud to say. ha
Didn't really help with acceleration cutting out but atleast I know they aren't the problem now.

Do Local SC owners ever have shows or meets?

Nothing formal or with a date set every year, but we get together from time to time.

With the issue you are having it sounds like a good reason to get together. Post a date and time and we will see who all can make it.

With what you are saying the next thing to check is the Cam and Crank sensors. Make sure when the plug wires went back into the coil pack that 5 and 6 didnt get swapped around. Several parts books and Auto stores have the order of the coil pack wrong, but the numbers are listed on the coil pack itself if it is a Ford Coil pack.

Back