window issues

1bad67cat

What would be a good adhesive to glue the door windows to the plastic clips? also, the leading edge of my driver's window is hanging up in the track. any ideas on fixing that? :confused:

I've used the clear RTV window sealer with excellent results. I use silicone spray for the window track but the fact that it is loose in the clip could be what's making it stick from the glass canting at an angle as it goes down.

If it's the clip that is supposed to be glued directly to the glass I'd use an epoxy that states both glass and plastic as it's application. Run you $5-8 at an auto parts store.

Whatever you use it must have some flex to it. I tried JB Weld once and it lasted less than a week.
Precisely. There needs to be just a bit of give to the adhesive. Also why epoxy doesn't hold up. Ive used plain jane silicon rtv and cleaned the glass with brake cleaner and they've held up indefinitely. I've never had to redo one. :cool:

I tried 3 or 4 things and nothing worked well for me. I took it to a body shop with the door panels off and they glued them back on with (I think) auto glass urethane (Windoweld or similar). I think I paid $50 or so. No problems in over 5 years!

The trick with RTV silicon is to get the bonding surfaces super clean of oil and grime. I use brake cleaner on both the glass and the sleeve. Then I stuff the sleeve with RTV and work out any air pockets. Insert glass and let sit for 24hourse w/o moving.

Is this my problem?

My passenger side window hangs up as it rolls down. I can tell it cants in the tacks in a front to rear fashion. I can get to go down if I untilt it. It rolls up without a problem. I have been looking for new rollers before I take it apart but they are not to be had. Then I figured there is some part loose on the regulator and junk yard won't sell pieces. They want $75 for a new one.

Are you talking about the two regulator attachment points ??

Attachments

• door diagram regulator attach.gif
    door diagram regulator attach.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 41
1bad67cat . . . what did you end up going with ??

The picture was fine, thanks.
Just wanted to make sure "we" were talking about the same joint as I've never used silicone or anything flexible to bond the regulator to the glass. Any flexibility should be in the joint between the roller and it's channel but apparently some people prefer to use the RTV and think epoxy will separate. Or, it did separate on them :confused:

The big thing it making sure both surfaces are clean. +1 using brake or carb cleaner to clean the glass and channel.

tried epoxy. didn't hold. tried automotive GOOP adhesive, and that didn't hold. i'm going to go to the local pick n pull, and go for the metal clips.

I would use 3M 5200. After 24 hours nothing and mean nothing will get that window out of the track unlesss you smash the glass out. I have seen 3M 5200 delaminate glass.

tried epoxy. didn't hold. tried automotive GOOP adhesive, and that didn't hold. i'm going to go to the local pick n pull, and go for the metal clips.

The metal clips are fine, but it's the adhesive that is the main problem. You have to use something designed for the purpose.

I think we said epoxy wouldn't work. Did you not see that comment? Or did you just need to find out for yourself?
I think what we said that would work is Silicon RTV with proper cleaning. :rolleyes:

I think we said epoxy wouldn't work. Did you not see that comment? Or did you just need to find out for yourself?
I think what we said that would work is Silicon RTV with proper cleaning. :rolleyes:

That would be my fault. I jumped in there early and suggested epoxy since I've used it without any problem on a number of regulator repairs (no Thunderbirds). I haven't needed to do my SC so maybe there is a difference.

There usually is more that just one way to do any repair. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back