Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Fan question...yes, I searched. :)

  1. #1

    Fan question...yes, I searched. :)

    My puller fan isn't working when it should all of a sudden...which in Oklahoma can mean big problems real quick.

    I unplugged the ECT sensor to see if the fan would kick on and here is the catch...sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. A couple of times the fan ran for about 5-10 seconds, and then shut off. I've searched/read a ton of threads concerning the ICRM/wire 14/17 tricks etc etc.

    With the ECT sensor plugged in as normal and the AC on, at times the fan kicks on low but it will NOT kick on high, no matter what temp the car is at.

    The pusher fan works normally.

    My question is, with the puller fan not working as intended, is this indicative of the ICRM dying, the fan itself? I'm half temped to yank them both and use my MarkVIII fan I have sitting around gathering dust.

    If it matters, I have a Griffin rad .
    Last edited by Beerdog80; 06-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Oh, one more thing...I measured 14v across the high speed fan when it was on. Is that too high?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Eastern (nee Western) PA
    Posts
    4,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerdog80 View Post
    Oh, one more thing...I measured 14v across the high speed fan when it was on. Is that too high?
    No. That's just how much voltage is available. It should be very close to your alternator output voltage.

    Sounds like a relay problem within the IRCM. Have you tried grounding out the IRCM trigger wires to manually activate the fan relays?

    Have you tried running a fused jumper wire to the fan motor?
    God bless!!!

    Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    No. That's just how much voltage is available. It should be very close to your alternator output voltage.
    Cool. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    Sounds like a relay problem within the IRCM. Have you tried grounding out the IRCM trigger wires to manually activate the fan relays?
    Not yet. Thats just wires 14 and 17 correct or is there another one? All fuses also checked out as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    Have you tried running a fused jumper wire to the fan motor?
    Yep, seemed to run just fine on both speeds.
    Last edited by Beerdog80; 06-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.

  5. #5
    Alright, grounded 14 and 17. 17 worked just fine. 14. Zilch... No power according to my DMM either.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerdog80 View Post
    Alright, grounded 14 and 17. 17 worked just fine. 14. Zilch... No power according to my DMM either.
    You break the connection on #14 to turn on low speed, and you supply 12 volts to #17 to turn on high speed.

    Here is a diagram for controlling high and low speed fan settings with dual manual controllers (back before we had chips and tuners)

    David
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    You break the connection on #14 to turn on low speed, and you supply 12 volts to #17 to turn on high speed.

    Here is a diagram for controlling high and low speed fan settings with dual manual controllers (back before we had chips and tuners)

    David
    Manually grounding 14 wouldn't cause the relay to trigger?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerdog80 View Post
    Manually grounding 14 wouldn't cause the relay to trigger?
    I think it's already grounded, and you have to break the connection and un-ground it to start low speed fan.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    I think it's already grounded, and you have to break the connection and un-ground it to start low speed fan.

    David
    Ah. Well, doesn't matter anyways. Seems the low speed is shot. I manually wired the fan (with fuse) direct to 12v main and the high speed kicked right on, low did not do a thing.

    Plugged it all back in and the low does not come on when the AC is on (nor does high) but the high kicks on the second I remove the ECT. It does try to move with the AC on but it's obviously not moving fast at all.

    Now, I'm left with a quandary. Do I replace the stock motor or do I just use the Mark fan I have sitting here, wired up with this:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,125
    I'd just buy a used fan from someone on here that is parting out a car, or replace the fan motor.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    I'd just buy a used fan from someone on here that is parting out a car, or replace the fan motor.

    David
    Where's the best place to get a replacement motor? I'm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma (Altus) so my local options are limited to Napa and O'Riley.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,103
    You could try here.

    http://www.thunderbirdscshop.com/

    Paul

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    21,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerdog80 View Post
    Where's the best place to get a replacement motor? I'm in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma (Altus) so my local options are limited to Napa and O'Riley.
    Either of those places should be able to get you a fan motor.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

    My Garage

Similar Threads

  1. cooling fans not working
    By marcus in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 06:33 PM
  2. Question about using stock fan with A/C on
    By Jeremy_K in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 04:36 PM
  3. Question for Dave Neilbert about fan switch:
    By CaifanSC in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •