New to the SC, Purchased a 91 with 58K.

N8tiveJuggalo17

What's up!? I am also a member at tccoa but i recently sold my 97v8 bird and picked up this beautiful 91SC with 5speed & only 58K. The interior is immaculate and the exterior is great also. It had some engine codes stored tho and i was wondering what they ment.
Here are the codes
DTC - 542, 175, 176, 189, 543 :eek:

IMAG1060-1_zps804369ce.jpg

Very nice. Good luck!
How is it compared to drive the V8?
You are in the right place. Someone will help you with the codes!

What's up!? I am also a member at tccoa but i recently sold my 97v8 bird and picked up this beautiful 91SC with 5speed & only 58K. The interior is immaculate and the exterior is great also. It had some engine codes stored tho and i was wondering what they ment.
Here are the codes
DTC - 542, 175, 176, 189, 543 :eek:

Looks good! Try using google, I just searched DTC 542 Ford and it said there's a bad ground. I'd try doing the same for all the other codes and see what you can come up with.

Steve

Nice SC,

I live in Rapid City, looks like you took the pic up at the Carmike Ten. Nice to see another SC'er in South Dakota. My SC was bought in much worse condition but it is coming together. Like Steve said search and you will find it.:D

From my sunpro scanner book...

542 fuel pump circuit open connection- electronic control assembly to motor ground
175 HEGO sensor voltage signal not switching
176 HEGO sensor voltage signal indicates lean bank 2
189 HEGO sensor voltage signal not switching indicates lean during part throttle engine operation bank 2
543 fuel pump circuit open connection - electronic control assembly to battery

Nice SC,

I live in Rapid City, looks like you took the pic up at the Carmike Ten. Nice to see another SC'er in South Dakota. My SC was bought in much worse condition but it is coming together. Like Steve said search and you will find it.:D

Your from rapid? Nice! That picture was actually taken by walmart & golden corral.

From my sunpro scanner book...

542 fuel pump circuit open connection- electronic control assembly to motor ground
175 HEGO sensor voltage signal not switching
176 HEGO sensor voltage signal indicates lean bank 2
189 HEGO sensor voltage signal not switching indicates lean during part throttle engine operation bank 2
543 fuel pump circuit open connection - electronic control assembly to battery

176,176 & 189 Should be fixed with some new 02 sensors I assume? How do I address code 542 & 543? :confused:

I cant offer much help on those two codes. Just in general I would check the wiring going into the ECA. maybe even re-seat the connector, check for bad wires and corroded connections. If you can find a wiring diagram you can check continuity through the harness.

Jeremy, welcome! I'd start with checking every ground you can find. My main battery ground fell apart when I went to change my d/s motor mount. But I haven't had any issues since I replaced it.

Just run new ground wire to all existing points with a good automotive electrical wire.

You can use a ground lug (Like in a circuit breaker box) attached to solid metal somewhere easily accessible.

Did you find the source of the 542, and 543 code yet? My red '91 has the exact same codes. I checked and only found the engine to body ground strap bad, replaced it and cleaned contact points but even after clearing the codes it comes back. I am curious to know where you find the source. I'll post if I find it.

Did you find the source of the 542, and 543 code yet? My red '91 has the exact same codes. I checked and only found the engine to body ground strap bad, replaced it and cleaned contact points but even after clearing the codes it comes back. I am curious to know where you find the source. I'll post if I find it.

I have not found it as of yet, I just ordered a bunch of stuff today for a tune up so after I do that I will see if it clears the codes. I did do the fuel pressure test and it was reading 35psi while idling but only 15psi with KoEo. I have changed the fuel filter since then but havent retested.

I was wondering the same thing...

Nice car.

How is it compared to the V8? Inquiring minds want to know...

I personally love it, with the manual you could really play in the gears and it makes the car feel a whole lost faster then it probably is, The torque on it is amazing. I do miss the casual cruising of the auto but a car is made to be DRIVEN lol, Even my old v8 bird had the jmod,gear & torque without a tune of course, But I think this one would take it out in a race pretty easily.

I personally love it, with the manual you could really play in the gears and it makes the car feel a whole lost faster then it probably is, The torque on it is amazing. I do miss the casual cruising of the auto but a car is made to be DRIVEN lol, Even my old v8 bird had the jmod,gear & torque without a tune of course, But I think this one would take it out in a race pretty easily.

Cool... now the only thing is to find an exhaust set up that sounds better than what I have heard on youtube... Without a cam I just cant find an exhaust sound I like...

New to the sc, purchased a 91 sc

Congrats on the sc. Good Luck with it You will find that these cars are love/hate.
Since you have had a v8 chicken, you might have a better idea what you are in for. 2 good places to get parts are: Ryan @ The super coupe Shop, or Bill @ super coupe performance, and if the trans should crunch, look on this site @ New Parts and Services. If after it is torn down, and if you find it needs blockers, they can b found on that part of the site. Again, good luck

Cool... now the only thing is to find an exhaust set up that sounds better than what I have heard on youtube... Without a cam I just cant find an exhaust sound I like...

I had this exact conversation with a friend today... the only thing that makes a true difference in the way these cars sound is a cam. You can change how loud it is by changing mufflers, but to make it sound different, the cam is the way to go.

Is it my eyes, or do you have a left and a right side wheel on the same side? The blades look reversed. Still, a nice looking car.
MikeH

Yeah, I cut off the stock mufflers and just welded some pipes in there place, I hate the sound now lmao it's to drony & import sounding, It makes it sound like I'm driving a Honda civic around but luckily I kept the mufflers and will just weld them back into place :)

Back