1990 XR7 SC compatibility with a 1989 Tbird SC?

jjklongisland

Hi, I have an opportunity to pick up a 1990 XR7 parts car with near mint interior not running for unknown reason. I just want to verify that the interior parts and the motor components are the same as the 89 SC (radiator, supercharger etc). I am looking at it tonight.

thanks

Yeap, sure will. I have a 90 Cougar and I have a lot of parts off of various SCs. There are some minor differences in wiring, cant recall exaclty what, but I do remember swapping a computer into my 89 Cougar a long time ago from a 90 SC and it wouldnt charge for some reason. As far as wiring and as far as modules go, just compare pin to pin on the EVTM(wire drawings) and that will answer any other questions.

Yeap, sure will. I have a 90 Cougar and I have a lot of parts off of various SCs. There are some minor differences in wiring, cant recall exaclty what, but I do remember swapping a computer into my 89 Cougar a long time ago from a 90 SC and it wouldnt charge for some reason. As far as wiring and as far as modules go, just compare pin to pin on the EVTM(wire drawings) and that will answer any other questions.

Cool... Mainly looking for the interior swap and a radiator. I will also grab the the supercharger, alternator, A/C components and then junk it.

Hmm, interior stuff.... That will be different. Im not sure on what will not work. But, it would make sense that the headliner, rear package tray, rear side mouldings and possibly the rear seat will not cross over. The front seats dash and everything else should work. Will you be able to have both cars side by side?

Hmm, interior stuff.... That will be different. Im not sure on what will not work. But, it would make sense that the headliner, rear package tray, rear side mouldings and possibly the rear seat will not cross over. The front seats dash and everything else should work. Will you be able to have both cars side by side?

Yes, I pick up my car on Wednesday. I am going to look at the parts car tonight. I really only need the seats for the interior. Mine are really shot.

The only differences between the interiors on the 2 cars is the interior quarter panel trim, the headliner, rear package tray, and the dashboard on the Cougar has a slightly different shape than the T-bird one with the area to the right of the radio being more squared off on the cougar and more angled down on the tbird. The seats, carpet, A-pillar trim, door panels, and center console will all swap over and be direct bolt-in swaps.

The only differences between the interiors on the 2 cars is the interior quarter panel trim, the headliner, rear package tray, and the dashboard on the Cougar has a slightly different shape than the T-bird one with the area to the right of the radio being more squared off on the cougar and more angled down on the tbird. The seats, carpet, A-pillar trim, door panels, and center console will all swap over and be direct bolt-in swaps.

Great, your the man... thanks

im like 98% shur the seats are a direct swap...ive swapped seats in from year to year and model over model and the only issue i ever had was one bolt on the passenger side sometimes wouldnt line up, but owell 3 were fine.

Any MN12/FN10 seat will physically swap and bolt up. The bolt locations are the same. The wiring gets tricky on the Mark seats though.

Rear package tray (the plastic one underneath) swaps, as does the rear seat.

The rear package tray cover (what you see through the rear window), does not.

I THINK the headliner swaps also, since the upper end of the rear window is in the same position, and the rear sails cover the B pillar difference.

The outside mouldings will swap - matter of fact, the 92 and 93 LX TBirds used the same moulding the 1991 XR7 did (!!)

All the underbody parts swap just fine.

All drive train parts swap fine.

All interior parts save the sail panels should swap just fine.

Rear window, trunk lid, etc. are different.

Rear tail lights are different.

Front fenders and doors are the same.

The differences in the upholstery are that certain options were only one way or the other, and the Tbird will tend to have a TBird in it, the Cougar, not *grins* But they do swap.

RwP

Thanks for the detailed list.

The rear window moulding is different (not surprising), natch. I was referring to the lower body mouldings.

The window-to-front-door mouldings are also the same.

I won't swear they're the same from the door back to the window.

Door weatherstripping, identical. Hood weatherstripping, identical. Cowl covers, identical (and if they're good, get them wiper blades up and keep them!)

Front side markers, identical.

Cornering lamps, if either have them - swappable and identical.

Dashes - the insert over the glove box (that hides the screws) may have "Thunderbird" or be one of the model-specific trims, but physically they fit identically.

Ditto for the vent pieces under the steering wheel - I.E., there's one style that's 1991 XR7 only, but it does fit just fine in a TBird.

Pretty much, keep it as a spare parts car if you can :D

RwP

Back