Post limits

91 XR7

Is there a limit as to how much a single post can have written?

I've tried for the last 18 hours (not constantly) to post a story about my car, just to get an error about not being able to connect to the server or the like. but yet i see new posts by others so i'm thinking it's the size aspect? My post by MS word is 1084 words (not including a few more i added)

Well it posted this above one with only 77 words. so maybe it is something to do with number of words?

I'm not aware of any limit. Suggest typing and reviewing your post in an email or word document format then copy and paste it here. At least that way you won't loose everything.

David

Well I Initially started typing it on here, then thought to myself it was getting kind of long in the tooth, so i switched over to MS word to finish it up.

Then i Tried copy and pasting it into a new post and that just failed. Trying again as i'm typing this, all i get in the Tab is "Connecting" then comes up with http://www.sccoa.com/forums/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=37 in the address bar and a blank screen
also the preview feature doesn't work

Maybe i'll try to do it over a number of pages. Well that didn't, least not with only 501 words...

Last edited:
Is there a limit as to how much a single post can have written?

vBulletin forum software has an option for character count limit (not word count) - this helps to avoid spoofing, etc. No idea what the count limit is here. I'll guess either 5k or 10k, maybe.

Admin(s) should check Admincp ---> Vbulletin Options ---> Message Posting & Editing Options ...then... Maximum Characters Per Post.

For users here that want to post a 'book' :) - my suggestion would be to either break it down into sections that eventually fit and do multiple posts/replies (same thread) back-to-back, and/or put the entire file on a server as a PDF and then link to that from a post here.

Good luck in any case.

Last edited:
Yah your right it is pushing book like :) but i would think least with the likes of 500 words that it still would of posted it. but nope.

i guess i could also save a copy of the story to dropbox and put a link in my post on here with a quick summary if others don't care to read the whole thing :)

but that's not going to happen until i get home from working on storage for parts off of the car the story is about.

I am pretty sure there is a character limit. If you are copying and pasting something really big, it will fail to make the post.

You can just copy the first half into one post, then copy the second half into a reply to the first post.

I am pretty sure there is a character limit. If you are copying and pasting something really big, it will fail to make the post.

You can just copy the first half into one post, then copy the second half into a reply to the first post.

Thanks for confirming - maybe the admins can do the same :)

Thanks for confirming - maybe the admins can do the same :)

I poked around a little in the board settings earlier today, but didn't see anything that I was comfortable with changing. So we will have to wait until the brains of the operation (Pat) returns from vacation.

David

Well i'm finding it very odd that i could post a post here, but i can't even do a post in non tech. i even tried just doing a paragraph, which didn't have that many characters.

I could try retyping it, but damn...

Last edited:
There are no character limits (The setting is currently 0, which disables the option.)

So not sure what's going on unfortunately. We're having some minor issues with the database that I'm working on, so this could be affecting it, but can't say for certain.

Before you type anything BIG and post it, copy/paste it into word or notepad or something so you don't lose it.

I would also caution typing it in word then copying/pasting it over as Word is good about replacing normal characters with special characters occasionally (Like a dash.) Some systems can't recognize the special characters.

I've had a post of only a few sentences disappear due to errors as well in the last week as well so something may be up.

anytime you use anything other than Notepad to type up something, you should first copy and paste it into Notepad before you try to paste it somewhere else. Pasting into Notepad will remove any control characters and show you if there are any problems with formatting.

Well nothing seems to work for me into the Non-tech section!

I even tried to just send a link to the MS word file on Dropbox and it did nothing..

I'm gonna try something in this reply, posting that new topic here

=-=-=-
Well Since I can't seem to post the story on here, I did it up in MS word and here's a link too it :)

A story of a car affectionately called Rudolf

And the photos to go along with it (and basically in order too! :eek: ) Click

Edit: Added story from link...David

A story of a car affectionately called Rudolf;

It was August 2006, I was at a car show with the local SC club when a guy came up to us stating his boss had a Cougar that had a knocking engine and was thinking of selling it. My attention rose a bit, I asked the year with a reply of it being a '89, then I asked did it have 16" 7 spoke wheels, with a reply of yes it did. So I instantly knew what I’m dealing with. I got the owners phone number and he went off on his way. The next day on my lunch break I called the owner and he told me the car was at his place of business, and said I can just come by a look at it whenever I wanted too, so obliviously that evening after work. As I drove around trying to figure out where the place was, I finally seen in a corner of my eye a White XR7. Well the car initially looked to be in very good shape, except for a hint of rust and the front bumper hanging on with its life.

I called the next day and asked how much did he want for it? We came to an agreement of $500 (I thought for a car with 7 spokes, decent tires, clean interior and reasonably low mileage it wasn't bad, even for just parts) so we got together, he gave me a stack of receipts from day one (he was the original owner) said he will miss it and the Bonneville (with the SCed 3.8) couldn't holds its own to the XR7 but was happy it was going to me instead of a wrecker (I showed him all the documentation on my '91 XR7) and I was a proud owner of a badly knocking 89 XR7 :) That weekend I called a towing company to move it to my parents place (I live in an apartment here) well after it was unloaded I got it fired up to move it the last few feet into its new home, Well it got maybe half way there when all of a sudden there was a nice clanging/bashing noise from under the hood and the engine locked up solid as a rock...

After using my parent’s minivan to move it the rest of the way, I disconnected the battery and there it sat for a few months. I kept thinking to myself other than a front bumper looking sad, and a hint of rust here and there and with the near mint interior the car was to nice to part out, and went about removing the old engine, sadly since I couldn't turn the engine over to remove the torque converter bolts, the whole assembly had to come out as one, not the end of the world for me, also found out that the transmission must have been rebuilt within the last couple of years at the most.

Once I got the engine on the stand I first started with removing the oil pan before turning it over as to see what was in the pan... first off recent oil change was done on the engine, but the chunks metal I don't think were suppose to have been in the oil pan, flipped the engine over and one rod was trying to make its way through the block, another one got twisted when the first broke up, even the Camshaft itself got nicked in the whole process. I got in hold of John in Alberta for another engine, after I got it from him, I just freshened it up a bit, new rod bearings, gaskets, new plugs, wires, o2 Sensor, motor mounts, fluids and so forth) Mocked up my new power steering lines and went about installing the engine over my winter break at the shop.

She runs! Runs nicely at that, too bad she didn't want to stop all that well, but new front rotors and pads cured that problem :) I would insure her every once in a while for a long weekend. Went straight as an arrow, felt very planted, suspension was tight, the car made a real awesome cruising car, I was thinking of using it as my daily driver, and selling my ’96, but that never came to be sadly.

After a year of it running, I remembered how I felt like taking a ’91-93 XR7 and swapping in a 3.8SC 5spd combination, But then I got to thinking, I have a ’89 XR7 in my own hands, it’s easier to swap the headlight panel, bumper and hood and tail lights then doing an engine swap. The car needed a front bumper anyways, so the hunt was on for the pieces. I found a Red ’93 XR7 with rear end damage also a ’92 LS with front end damage. Collected the parts except for the headlight panel (forget why I could get it, broken?) But was able to buy one from Ford cheaper than an aftermarket piece. And to top it off it was the last known one in Canada! Over my winter holidays again I took everything to the shop to do the conversion, a co-worker at the time was suppose to paint it white for me, but he ended up having other plans, and since it was over the Christmas holidays I did this, that is basically how my '89 XR7 affectionately became known as Rudolf the red nose cougar :)

Sadly Life changed for me, I got married, bought a place (sadly an apartment) and my cars have been neglected for many years. I've tried to sell poor Rudolf a few times, but nothing came of it. So she just sat and waited, I felt sad about it, such a nice running car just sitting there

So after saving her 7 years ago, and having a fun time doing it too, and least got another few more years out of her, it's time for her to be stripped down of parts I could use for my '91 XR7 and maybe even my '91 SC (which my wife wants gone too)

So I am on my summer holidays for the next three weeks, so in around 3 weeks time there will be yet another '89 XR7 off the road forever :( I really didn’t want it to come to this, even thou this was the original thought I had when I first heard of it 7 years ago.

Sorry for the long winded sad story, but hey not all stories have a happy ending.

WTH?!? it works HERE?!? what a pain in the arse for me:(

I did do a Word file that had pictures included, but yah about 1 meg in total :)

Not really sure what the problem is because I was able to edit your post and add all the text from the link you provided.

David

Well i didn't try to do the whole thing in this section. but like i said i tired to post that above message wit the links and all it came up with was a blank screen and nothing more, even waited for awhile and still nothing.

i was able to post on the tech forum about removing the engine from the story car thou.

I just don't want to do a random "test" post in the non-tech section just to see if it'll work now thou.

Try exporting the entire doc file as PDF, then see if it's within the size allowed for attachments.

Back