8.8" irs spool help

SEDUCE

Hi there guys i am hoping someone here can help me out.
I am doing a conversion of a 8.8" cast housing from a T Bird and I am wondering if you can tell me who does a full spool for these diffs?
We do not have these cars in Australia so it's hard to find parts for a car we do not get here and wondering if you guys can help me out?
This car is a full drag car so only want full spool to be safer and not brake half way down strip.
Thanks for your time and hope to hear back from you's
Brad

Housing should fit any 8.8 diff for Ford application. The only difference on the IRS cars is the side gears have a relief ground into them to allow the IRS axle shafts to lock into the side gears. If you are just using the housing and not the IRS axles that won't matter.

You can't get a full spool for the 28 spline axles. Only mini spools are available for those.

Now if you go with The Drive Shaft Shop's or 03-04 cobra/tbird custom 31 spline hubs or axles then you can use any 8.8 spool. It will not have the groove for the retainer clips like Mike referred to but, I haven't had a problem.

I used the Motive spool. Here is mine that I ripped the ring gear out of.
1-2.jpg

You can't get a full spool for the 28 spline axles. Only mini spools are available for those.

Now if you go with The Drive Shaft Shop's or 03-04 cobra/tbird custom 31 spline hubs or axles then you can use any 8.8 spool. It will not have the groove for the retainer clips like Mike referred to but, I haven't had a problem.

I used the Motive spool. Here is mine that I ripped the ring gear out of.
1-2.jpg

Thanks for the reply and information, yeah I will go with DSS 31 spline shafts so I can get a full spool.
So it's safe to run the spool with out the c clip grooves? Can u get them machined in to the spool ?

So am I right, I can just buy a 8.8" spool for a live axle and it will fit just got to make sure it's 31 spline?

I didn't have a problem with not having the clip retainer grooves. I had probably 50 passes on the setup and maybe 100 street miles on it. I did frequently check the axles to make sure they stayed in the rear after I first installed the spool. I was more worried about the custom cobra/t bird inner CV joint axle setup coming apart. You could probably get someone to machine them in there. Not sure how much it would weaken the spool though. If I were to get one machined I would have them just go to the depth of the spline valley. Basically just remove the spline peaks. Take the stock diff for them to get the measurements correct.

Yeah any 8.8 live axle spool should work.

So am I right, I can just buy a 8.8" spool for a live axle and it will fit just got to make sure it's 31 spline?

Any 8.8 spool should fit in the housing. You need the side gear spline count to match the axle shafts you have, whatever that is. As noted, they don't make spools with 28 spline side gears which is what T-Bird axles are.

As long as you limit suspension travel so that the hub can't pull the axle out of the diff, the need for the grooves is academic. They shouldn't be necessary.

Just remember, when using a spool whith a broken axle or
Type failure during a drag race means a turn into the wall.
Using a traction lock you just get no acceleration.
TL is safer.

Back